2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - FS | Page 24 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Women - FS

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
... and because moderators rather seems to support them

Please report any posts you find are off topic or offensive. The moderators will be alerted to posters engaging in activities going against the guidelines of this board and may remove posts and issue infractions and warnings as required.

Aino

Rinkside
Kaetlyn's skating is so refined and classy that to me it looks like the skating of Kostner or some other past champions. Still she has to control her nerves. It would be nice to see a practice video of her FP when she doesn't do any mistakes. Her jumps are the best at the moment (when landed correctly) and I like her spin positions.
Gabby was of course great in this competition.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Speaking of which, Daleman got a ! on her flip in this FS and she flutzes.

Though, her flutz isn't that bad. But it's interesting if both of her jumps are at the ! level. Because indeed, usually both are inside or both are outside.

Both can be flat which means ! for both flip and lutz. I think that is the case with Gabby. As for Osmond and Medvedeva they have correct flip edge and flat lutz edge. And they are called for that every now and then (Medvedeva I would say more often).

Also... This is outrageous! Canada needs to give its 3rd spot to Japan!!!! Why aren't they giving up their 3rd spot and allowing another country to have it? It's soooooo unfaaaaaaiiiiiirrrrr!

[emoji23]
The arbitrary way the IOC and ISU awards spots is already unfair, let's not compound that with a third level of politics. Leading Countries should have 5 spots and the minimum raised. Some participants turn this into a joke.

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
Please report any posts you find are off topic or offensive. The moderators will be alerted to posters engaging in activities going against the guidelines of this board and may remove posts and issue infractions and warnings as required.

What is the difference between an infraction and a warning?

The arbitrary way the IOC and ISU awards spots is already unfair, let's not compound that with a third level of politics. Leading Countries should have 5 spots and the minimum raised. Some participants turn this into a joke.

Don't feed the troll, it only makes them more powerful :) if you want to discuss the qualification process and how it should change there is a thread in the Edge for that as well

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

This would only ostracize countries where skating is less popular and make it harder to generate diverse, global interest and participation in the sport.

Also, Canada has the reigning World silver and bronze medalists in Ladies. So they are a "leading country"... but they don't deserve 5 spots - the only country that would deserve more than 3 spots is Russia but again, it's unfair to other countries if some get specialty treatment.

The way the IOC and ISU awards spots may need revision but it's not unfair. Every country has to follow their provisions and rules and it's good that there is a cap on entries allotted to each country and it's a good thing that getting 3 spots is tricky, which leaves more opportunities for the "non-leading" countries.

Both can be flat which means ! for both flip and lutz. I think that is the case with Gabby. As for Osmond and Medvedeva they have correct flip edge and flat lutz edge. And they are called for that every now and then (Medvedeva I would say more often).
Absolutely. Some of the Juniors work hard to avoid the !, They are taught that it is a sin to get a !. Seniors on the other hand play the numbers game.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Osmond does a total of 3 flutzes, Medvedeva only does one. Yet one of them gets far more flak for hers.

I've been here wondering why it is that Osmond does a Lutz in SP and even repeats it in FS even though it's a clear flutz. But then the obvious dawned on me - She actually cannot do edge jumps. Salchow, Loop - These are always failures. So it's not like she could just go ahead and repeat those instead. A loop in the SP would likely be a complete disaster.

It's a shame that she gets to benefit so greatly from the lack of ! or e calls on her flutzes, though. But I can understand that even if she did not, this would be the smart thing to do for her and it's not just her abusing the lack of ! or e caused by reputation, which I thought was the case before.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Osmond does a total of 3 flutzes, Medvedeva only does one. Yet one of them gets far more flak for hers.

I've been here wondering why it is that Osmond does a Lutz in SP and even repeats it in FS even though it's a clear flutz. But then the obvious dawned on me - She actually cannot do edge jumps. Salchow, Loop - These are always failures. So it's not like she could just go ahead and repeat those instead. A loop in the SP would likely be a complete disaster.

It's a shame that she gets to benefit so greatly from the lack of ! or e calls on her flutzes, though. But I can understand that even if she did not, this would be the smart thing to do for her and it's not just her abusing the lack of ! or e caused by reputation, which I thought was the case before.

Osmond doesn't repeat triple Lutz, she repeates the triple Flip.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Also... This is outrageous! Canada needs to give its 3rd spot to Japan!!!! Why aren't they giving up their 3rd spot and allowing another country to have it? It's soooooo unfaaaaaaiiiiiirrrrr!

:laugh:

HEY! That should’ve been my line! :rofl:

Did you ever know that you’re my herooooooooo....

For those of you who refer to posts like this as “trolling”, I consider them more of an outwards reflection of other users who actually write and/or BELIEVE that these narratives are 100% factual, warranted and legitimate. For this particular example, I’ve seen many here in the wild who think the Canadians or Americans should give a ladies spot to Japan, despite the fact that they were earned fair and square by both countries, as outlined in the official ISU criteria for the allocation of world and Olympic spots. Sorry Japan, I concur wholeheartedly that many of your ladies are phenomenal, but they simply didn’t pull it off last year, so that’s that, end of story. This shouldn’t even be up for discussion, and it’s like nails on a chalkboard every time I read another one of these comments. Who cares if Larkyn or Alaine aren’t anywhere near podium threats? Are the olympics only for the top handful of skaters in the world? No. That’s not how that works: not in the past, not currently, and not in the future. We already have a yearly competition for exactly that, perhaps you’ve heard of it: the Grand Prix Final?

I suppose all of you in favour of not sending a third Canadian lady also believe that the Nigerian women’s bobsled team are wasting their time going to Pyeongchang. Why even bother if they don’t have a chance to medal? How dare they?! Such audacity, who do they think they are, taking up spots in the Olympic village over a third or fourth or fifth Japanese figure skater?! :rolleye:

——————

It’s just like every time I make a quip about how David Pelletier is summoning me to the fridge. :laugh: It’s said in jest, simply to lighten the mood and poke fun at my own country, not to troll.

Shayuki

One skates like a prepubescent girl and one skates like a grown woman so depending on what type of skating you like or in some cases what your Nationality is, you get those different opinions based on something totally subjective.

I think it all starts and ends with the judging. The sport wasn't so athletic when this scoring system was developed and it needs to evolve with the sport at a much higher pace. We have the scoring system to thank or blame for this level of athleticism, whether one thinks it's a good or a bad thing is completely subjective. But I think we need to level off the balance between TES and PC if we are to promote that balance. Daleman is a perfect example of this on the athletic side and Cotop on the skating skills side to mention extremes here.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Shayuki

One skates like a prepubescent girl and one skates like a grown woman so depending on what type of skating you like or in some cases what your Nationality is, you get those different opinions based on something totally subjective.

I think it all starts and ends with the judging. The sport wasn't so athletic when this scoring system was developed and it needs to evolve with the sport at a much higher pace. We have the scoring system to thank or blame for this level of athleticism, whether one thinks it's a good or a bad thing is completely subjective. But I think we need to level off the balance between TES and PC if we are to promote that balance. Daleman is a perfect example of this on the athletic side and Cotop on the skating skills side to mention extremes here.
Medvedeva skates like a prepubescent girl? Maybe that was true 2 years ago... She's an adult. She's 18 years old. I guess believing that Osmond skates in a more mature manner is an opinion you're entitled to. However...

It honestly seems like you missed my entire point. It wasn't a criticism of Osmond but it actually made me have more appreciation for her decision to include lutz in SP(Something Medvedeva does not do). Earlier, I really did believe that she did include it because she had faith it wouldn't be called. But now I realized she just doesn't have a better option.

This realization made me think better of Osmond, whatever your conclusion might be.

Medvedeva skates like a prepubescent girl? Maybe that was true 2 years ago... She's an adult. She's 18 years old. I guess believing that Osmond skates in a more mature manner is an opinion you're entitled to. However...

It honestly seems like you missed my entire point. It wasn't a criticism of Osmond but it actually made me have more appreciation for her decision to include lutz in SP(Something Medvedeva does not do). Earlier, I really did believe that she did include it because she had faith it wouldn't be called. But now I realized she just doesn't have a better option.

This realization made me think better of Osmond, whatever your conclusion might be.

I could watch Osmond, Cohen, Cziney, Kostner all day long. Once I've watched Medvedeva once I am good. Like I said, it's personal preference.

I think Medvedeva benefits just as equally on the lack of edge calls.

Maturity and how many times you've been around the sun are two different things.

I am ok with agreeing to disagree.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
I think they mean between both the SP and FP.

But that's what I meant too, she does the Lutz only one in each program, so she does a total of two Lutzes.

Also, while she is overscored, and has a flutz (although improved), she is still miles better than Medvedeva.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Gabby was on fiyaaahhhh!

I love that Kaetlyn's black swan program improves with every outing. It's gonna be awesome at the Olympics. :D