Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
ohhh.. bolded twice in one evening. It's like Christmas.

I think I just want Jason to get his quads so he can compete with the others because I love his skating. Isn't Frank retiring? I thought he was.
I'm really hopeful that Jason gets it together for 4CC and proves it was just a fluke. He definitely does need some work on the jumps though. One quad isn't going to hold up unless they change the PCS ceiling.

I'm glad Adam is going to the Olympics because I'm a fan of his too. And I was incredibly sad for Ross but I never thought the US team would be anyone but Adam, Nathan and Jason so I think I'm kind of still in shock and just want to run around like a headless chicken "fixing" Jason.

ancientpeas, ancientpeas, :console:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Also I would like to add the following to my post regarding Jason by saying that.
1.) I stuck to the Shibs during the dark ages and people though SIX BILLION TEAMS would past them and that they would never beat Chock and Bates ever again.
2.) I called Bradie Tennell as a dark horse after her summer competitions in August.
3.) And I also stood by Ross for my "want" list when it was totally uncool to do so.

As one poster said recently, "Don't bet against Mrs. P." :laugh:

Now if only we could trick you into giving us all your picks for Gold in Korea.

- - - Updated - - -

ancientpeas, ancientpeas, :console:

I'm so cheaply bought. Just bold me and I'm yours forever. :wink:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
ohhh.. bolded twice in one evening. It's like Christmas.

I think I just want Jason to get his quads so he can compete with the others because I love his skating. Isn't Frank retiring? I thought he was.
I'm really hopeful that Jason gets it together for 4CC and proves it was just a fluke. He definitely does need some work on the jumps though. One quad isn't going to hold up unless they change the PCS ceiling.

I'm glad Adam is going to the Olympics because I'm a fan of his too. And I was incredibly sad for Ross but I never thought the US team would be anyone but Adam, Nathan and Jason so I think I'm kind of still in shock and just want to run around like a headless chicken "fixing" Jason.

If nothing else, the fact that Jason somehow manages to make a cameo in a Canadian men SP thread means he has some relevance to somebody. :laugh:

Frank has never made an official announcement, but it sounds like he is retiring from full-time coaching. But whether that would include his occasional stints with Jason, I don't know.

The biggest issue for me with his jumps is his timing. It's 50-50 -- he either times it or he doesn't and usually off timing means he's down for the count. I find that even the slight hesitation gets him in trouble. When he has that snap and precise timing the jumps look really good -- nice flow, nice height good landing.

Thanks ancientpeas for an excuse to talk about Jason in a Canadian men's thread. :laugh: Thanks to everyone else for your enduring patience---it seems that you can't emerge from a Canadian thread with out talking about non-Canadians LOL.

European mice
Will Jason Ever Get A Quad
Canadian Nats.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
If nothing else, the fact that Jason somehow manages to make a cameo in a Canadian men SP thread means he has some relevance to somebody. :laugh:

I'm a terrible hijacker but I just kept thinking about the fact that with Javi retiring and Hanyu maybe retiring Orser is going to have at least one or maybe two big slots to fill and I'd love to see Jason get the technical help.
I'm easily distracted sometimes.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
ancientpeas (since you like being being bolded :biggrin:),

May I offer a contrasting opinion because I love providing cognitive dissonance to TontoK's response (and he knows I appreciate some cognitive dissonance from him).

Jason may not be 17 or 18, but as far as age goes, he's not super old at age 23. Under TontoK's logic, it would have been "too late" for Adam to continue after the 2014 season (he was 24 years old). And now Adam, for better or worse is going to the Olympics at age 28.

Hey ancientpeas

Mrs P. is right. We don't always agree, Although I think we do, most of the time. But I have huge respect for her, and we keep each other honest in our arguments (and I mean "arguments" in a court trial sense, not a knock-down-drag-out).

In that vein, I will concede that her point about Adam has merit. He is an example of an older skater who made it intact another four years, bringing joy to many old and new fans, and earning some excellent competition results. We'll see whether Jason can do the same. But I also wonder if he'll continue - supposition only, as I haven't heard of his plans one way or the other. Adam had the internal driver of finally making an Olympic team, and Jason already has that feather - and a team event medal, too.

So, in addition to learning about coaching changes in general, I can start wondering about retirements and non-retirements.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Also I would like to add the following to my post regarding Jason by saying that.
1.) I stuck to the Shibs during the dark ages and people though SIX BILLION TEAMS would past them and that they would never beat Chock and Bates ever again.
2.) I called Bradie Tennell as a dark horse after her summer competitions in August.
3.) And I also stood by Ross for my "want" list when it was totally uncool to do so.

As one poster said recently, "Don't bet against Mrs. P."
:laugh:

Preach.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm a terrible hijacker but I just kept thinking about the fact that with Javi retiring and Hanyu maybe retiring Orser is going to have at least one or maybe two big slots to fill and I'd love to see Jason get the technical help.

Oh, I'm guilty of that, too, but I've never gotten an infraction (fingers crossed) for the sin.

I think there must be some unwritten rule that wandering off topic is less sinful if the thread is winding down and it's the middle of the night, and the sinners are insomniacs.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hey ancientpeas

Mrs P. is right. We don't always agree, Although I think we do, most of the time. But I have huge respect for her, and we keep each other honest in our arguments (and I mean "arguments" in a court trial sense, not a knock-down-drag-out).

In that vein, I will concede that her point about Adam has merit. He is an example of an older skater who made it intact another four years, bringing joy to many old and new fans, and earning some excellent competition results. We'll see whether Jason can do the same. But I also wonder if he'll continue - supposition only, as I haven't heard of his plans one way or the other. Adam had the internal driver of finally making an Olympic team, and Jason already has that feather - and a team event medal, too.

So, in addition to learning about coaching changes in general, I can start wondering about retirements and non-retirements.

I kind of regretted not asking Jason that instead of talking parenting with Jason's dad. #priorities

In any case, it sounds like someone DID ask him that and it sounds like he plans on continuing. I don't know if he'll continue all the way to 2022, but I definitely can see him sticking it out for a year or two. I think he just loves skating and loves the competitive environment.

Someone actually shared ice with him yesterday and did a live video of Jason doing his Hamilton step sequence and a video of a perfectly clean 3A-3T. So Jason's gotten right back into training for 4CC and whatever else may come his way this season.

P.S. I pulled the posts and started a new thread so we can all wring our hands over Jason without bothering our fine Canadian friends -- we need them to give us streams tomorrow!

Last edited:

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Someone actually shared ice with him yesterday and did a live video of Jason doing his Hamilton step sequence and a video of a perfectly clean 3A-3T. So for better or worse, Jason's gotten right back into training for 4CC and whatever else may come his way this season.

This is excellent news! I hope he kills it at 4CC.

I think training as an alternate must be odd. You're essentially training for a job you hope you never get - I say that in the sense that it usually means a teammate has been injured if an alternate competes.

PS. It looks like someone had the good sense to pull us off the Canadian Men's SP thread. I assume that was you?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ Yep, it was me. :)

I always seem to be involved in thread hijacks. Remember the Baby P naming hijack of 2015, which was absolutely unnecessary, cause I just named her after you, Tonto, LOL.

Ah memories: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?53977-The-Mrs-P-baby-thread

I like to look at it once in a while. :)

That was the greatest thread-jack of ALL TIME!

Remember when CoyoteChris wanted you to name the baby after him, instead of naming the baby Tonto?

Who in their right mind would name a baby Coyote?

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Remember when CoyoteChris wanted you to name the baby after him, instead of naming the baby Tonto?

She could have named the baby Wile or Wylie or even Wiley and it would have had relevance with skating and "coyotes"! :laugh: ;)

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Poor Jason, now his thread is being hijacked.

Relevant fact, I did show Jason's dad a video of T that my husband filmed while I was at us nationals. He thought she was adorable. So full circle!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, folks, I think this may be a Goldenskate first.

We have managed to thread-jack the thread-jack!

I love you all, fam, but I have GOT to go to bed!

See you all tomorrow - or, rather, later today for the Canadian LP's.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

Well.. I named my cat Flea.

And If I ever have a west highland terrier I'm calling him Mctavish. Why? Because I can.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
To come back to the discussion. I don't think it is too late for Jason - he doesn't have to learn everything from scratch but to develop what he has. It depends from where his mistakes arise: from lacking technique, from injuries, from lacking strength in certain muscle or joints? Then he has to look for a coach who can correct exactly these problems. Orser is not the answer for everybody, like also Tarasova or other very good coaches were not. Some coaches are best to learn someone from young ages, some are better to polish what is there already, some can take someone mature and learn them from scratch.

Do not forget, we have seen some "late bloomers" like Kolyada, who was not so great as a junior but developed a lot the past two years, or Voronov, or even Lambiel (jsut to give the example which comes quick in my head). I put "" because i don't think in this era 23 is such an old age in skating. More and more skaters stay longer and still develop.

For sure he has to search an additional coach for his jumping. Why not try Mishin for it for example?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker

No, Hanyu is staying but Javier seems to be retiring by everything I have read.

And I totally said this in his FF a couple of days ago too :laugh: TCC is not miracle land, it may work, it may not. But on the other hand, I feel like Brian, Tracy and the team might be a good fit for Jason. Frank did say during the US Nats that these were most likely his last ones so I'm guessing he is probably retiring.

He'd have a good jump coach in Ghislain there, and of course Brian, Tracy and everyone else and I think it wouldn't be a bad training enviorment for him at all to be there with Hanyu, and the younger Cha, and little Gogo for example. Also choreographers, I would absolutely love to see what someone like Shae would do for him, or Jeff and David. But Shae primarily who's done my favorite programs for a while now.

I don't think Jason is too old at all! He's 23, Hanyu is 23 and nobody is saying he's too old. I feel like at this point a lot of the quad issues are mental, and not anything else, even if he is slower to acquire them, so a total change of the enviorment, some good peeps around him who are nailing those to spur him on and it may work. Also Mr. Axel himself and Mr. Axel Jr too who may be going for the Nessie and well. But honestly, I think Jason needs to change at this point, if he's to move forward, and to do that, breaking a comfortable thing he has may be tough but needed.

Makkachin

On the Ice
Country
United-States
I somewhat feel like if Jason was going to make a coaching change, he would have done it by now. But who knows, if he really wants to keep competing, especially for another Olympic cycle, he may surprise me, and I think a change of scenery and new perspective in developing his weaker areas could give him the boost he needs. But it is very difficult for me to imagine him leaving Kori and Rohene.