Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals

slider11

Medalist
I think with the rumored changes to the skating scoring system (one fewer jump, less value for quads, shorter time), this could play into Jason's favor. How old is he - 23? I don't think another 4 years at 27 is totally out of line. His artistic sense and ability is priceless! If someone can bring back his triples to a solid level and maybe nudge the quad, he'd be in a great place for the next cycle. Orser will not be the warm and fuzzy Kori Ade and that might be hard for him. But maybe it's time? Toronto is an exciting, bustling city that might be a good step for him.

QueenOfTheRoad

Final Flight
Country
Germany
How about going to Lambiel? Lambiel is also such a warm personality, could Jason go to Europe for some time or would be out of question?

eriecold

On the Ice
I think that it would be a great loss for competitive skating if he retired now. His overall qualities are the best out there. As for the jumps, he's been working on the quad for 4 years, it took him out for almost 2 with that back injury, his body is just a different type than Nathan or Yuzu.
But he's getting there, he just needed an extra season to be able to incorporate the quad without falling apart if he didn't nail it.
He'll never be 5 quad a program skater, but he'll be able to give the extra bump to his BV to keep himself competitive.

noskates

Record Breaker
I watched Jason at all the practice sessions at Nats as well as all the warm-ups. He can land that quad and it's a beautiful jump - steady an with nice flow-out. He can do the rotation. In fact, he sometimes over-rotates it. There's something else holding him back and it isn't age!

TMC

Record Breaker
I watched Jason at all the practice sessions at Nats as well as all the warm-ups. He can land that quad and it's a beautiful jump - steady an with nice flow-out. He can do the rotation. In fact, he sometimes over-rotates it. There's something else holding him back and it isn't age!

But what is iiiiiiiiiit :hpull:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
How about going to Lambiel? Lambiel is also such a warm personality, could Jason go to Europe for some time or would be out of question?

Actually I think Lambiel could help him. He seems to be incredibly supportive of Deniss. The two are practically twinning in the kiss and cry.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A Lambiel program could be great for Jason, if nothing else. I think one thing that works for Jason is he can lean choreography and he won't water it down for the jumps.

Still keeping my dream of a Tom Dickson program!

Last edited:

musicfan80

Medalist
Add me as another one who thinks that Jason, if he wants to continue to compete, should try a different choreographer. Lambiel could be excellent - I've also been curious about Marie-France Dubreuil, David Wilson, or Marina Zueva. Someone with an ice dance background could work really well with Jason.

I'm somewhat skeptical that a coaching change would be beneficial. About "fixing the jumps" - didn't Todd Eldredge take one season off to do show while getting the quad down because of Timothy Goebel? If so, that didn't work well - enough though he won 2002 Nationals and went to the Olympics, I think that he still didn't have a quad. Granted, Todd was a bit older than Jason is right now, though.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
A Scali program would be wonderful too.

As for a coaching change, I maintain the coaching was not to blame. I think Jason got caught up in so much of the fanfare of coming back to the Olympics and wanted to make a statement with his programs and skating. I think he put too much pressure on himself to get the quads in those beautiful programs and it played with his psyche.

That said, I hope he'll do whatever he thinks is best for him to be competitive in the future. I'm not really married to either him definitely going or staying.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
But what is iiiiiiiiiit :hpull:

I wish I knew. I don't know if its confidence, technique, or maybe he should be attempting a different quad? Salchow? Sheesh. I'm just an avid fan - not a jump doctor. But my point is, some are ready to write him off because of his age and the fact he hasn't "mastered" this jump. I'm saying that's bullpotty. I am not ready to write him off yet. This "what have you done for me lately" mentality in figure skating fans is boorish. I think Adam Rippon is the poster child for anything can happen! I don't find anything fun about ripping apart a skater because they've had a bad competition or a bad year. They have the talent to start with (look what Jason did for US figure skating last year) and it's just a matter of getting the right mojo.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I'm somewhat skeptical that a coaching change would be beneficial.

I'm for a coaching change as honestly, I don't think this now is working. He is not old, but he's certainly at an age where he's getting 'older' and missing out on this Olympics is a bad result. This entire season was a bit dodgy and the quad(s) are simply taking too long. Since he can rotate the 4T in practice it's even worse really, plus his triples went wonky, especially the 3A. Change is good.

I don't actually expect him to do so but then, I'm somewhat pessimistic about Jason in the future too if he remains where he is. May I be proven wrong.

evasorange

Final Flight
Poor Jason. If he had come of age in 2010, he would be the men's Olympic gold medalist. Watching him live is just magical. He puts so much of himself into every little nuance of the choreography and his spins and flexibility are the best in the world imo. But if the jumps aren't there...its a heartbreaker. I really hope he can figure it out and keep going for another four years! Also is Javi retirement official? Last I heard he wouldn't say for sure but it seemed likely. I'm crossing my fingers that we get one more season out of him...I'm not ready to say goodbye!

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Add me as another one who thinks that Jason, if he wants to continue to compete, should try a different choreographer. Lambiel could be excellent - I've also been curious about Marie-France Dubreuil, David Wilson, or Marina Zueva. Someone with an ice dance background could work really well with Jason.

I'm somewhat skeptical that a coaching change would be beneficial. About "fixing the jumps" - didn't Todd Eldredge take one season off to do show while getting the quad down because of Timothy Goebel? If so, that didn't work well - enough though he won 2002 Nationals and went to the Olympics, I think that he still didn't have a quad. Granted, Todd was a bit older than Jason is right now, though.

See, if anything, I'm the absolute opposite. True - I dislike Hamilton, but I love the LP choreo. Overall, Rohene has been a good choreographer for Jason. More hits than misses. And, for the record, I do not include costuming as part of choreography, and I think Rohene has had a greater hand in that than he should have been allowed.

If I were forced to choose, I'd say keep Rohene and dump Kori.

Although I think an entire switchup might be the best. An entirely fresh start - if he plans to continue.

snowflake

I enjoy what I like
Record Breaker
Reading comments on Golden Skate during his career I got the impression Jason would never leave Kori Ade.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Hopefully his fans do too.

What's your point? I honestly don't follow.

Speaking for myself, I look forward to seeing him skate at 4CC and will anticipate to see whether his season gets extended. I'd like to see him skate more in the future. I think that's not an unreasonable thing to hope for.

Last edited:

noskates

Record Breaker
Hopefully his fans do too.

Yes, I don't get your point either. For YEARS people watched and waited for Mirai and Max to get it together and never made comments like I've read in here about they need to think about their future after skating.

For me Jason is a bright spot in a world of technical overload. He brings back all the things I've loved about figure skating for well over 40 years. I just enjoy watching him skate.

As for choreography - he himself has admitted that he has a difficult time learning choreography and that he really has to do it over and over to get it down. I'm not suggesting he change either Rohene or Kori but that they call in someone just to help him with the jumps. Kori has literally raised him from a pup and her calmness and nurturing has made him the skater he is.

TMC

Record Breaker
I wish I knew. I don't know if its confidence, technique, or maybe he should be attempting a different quad? Salchow? Sheesh. I'm just an avid fan - not a jump doctor. But my point is, some are ready to write him off because of his age and the fact he hasn't "mastered" this jump. I'm saying that's bullpotty. I am not ready to write him off yet. This "what have you done for me lately" mentality in figure skating fans is boorish. I think Adam Rippon is the poster child for anything can happen! I don't find anything fun about ripping apart a skater because they've had a bad competition or a bad year. They have the talent to start with (look what Jason did for US figure skating last year) and it's just a matter of getting the right mojo.

I wholeheartedly agree with all of this.

Whatever it is that needs to ”click”, I hope he figures it out and makes it happen. He’s my all time favourite skater and seems to be such a lovely person, too. Whenever he decides to retire, I hope it will be on a high and with no regrets :)