Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals

Mussique

On the Ice
Also is Javi retirement official? Last I heard he wouldn't say for sure but it seemed likely. I'm crossing my fingers that we get one more season out of him...I'm not ready to say goodbye!

It's not official. He's said that he definitely won't stay for another Olympic season (I think that's logical) but that he wanted to end his career in a high note, so staying for one more season or not would depend on the results of the big competitions this season, aka Euros, Olympics, and Worlds. He's said he doesn't want to agonize in the sport nor "go up the podium in crutches" :laugh:
I'm also not ready at all :sad21:

I don't get any impression from Jason Brown's interviews that he'd like to change coaches, so, at this point in his career, if he's comfortable where he is (I think he is) I think it'd make more sense to incorporate people in the team to help him with his jumps than change the main coach/team. But I agree with the choreographies, even if I like his programs this season. Riverdance was still his masterpiece, though.

Being analytical with myself, then again, maybe I just don't want think to change coaches because I enjoy him so much right now, both his personality and his skating, and I fear what changing coachs would do to him. He's a bright ray of sunshine and whenever he steps into the ice he makes me smile.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
My point is he still has 2018 to concern himself with before the post-2018 future as stipulated in the thread title.

Well of course. Did anybody say otherwise?

For the record, this thread stemmed out of a discussion in the Canadians Men's SP. It was pulled out because people wanted to talk about it, clearly.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Well of course. Did anybody say otherwise?

For the record, this thread stemmed out of a discussion in the Canadians Men's SP. It was pulled out because people wanted to talk about it, clearly.

I know where it came from. But the thread title skips 2018 for him as if it doesn't matter or exist. There is a whole year less 13 days before post-2018.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I know where it came from. But the thread title skips 2018 for him as if it doesn't matter or exist. There is a whole year less 13 days before post-2018.

Well that wasn't the intention at all. Anyway it's fixable.

Edited: Thread titled changed! I've done my service for man and country. And Jason. :laugh:

Last edited:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Really, any technical jump coach would be fine for Jason. He does need to reinvent the technical side of his skating if he wants to stay in skating for another four years. I thought about a situation where he brings a technical coach in while keeping Kori and Rohene, but he just needs another full-time tech coach at this point - he needs to learn the 4T, preferably the 4S too, a better 3A entry of steps, and a better entry for the 3Lo which he has a tendency to double.

Either Brian Orser or Rafael Arutyunyan would be both solid picks for a technical coach. And while I love Rohene's choreography, I think it would be worth it for Jason to learn from another choreographer like Nichol, Buttle, or Wilson just to get a different range of movement, particularly when it comes to him having a wider range of emotion that isn't just being happy.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I agree Jason needs work on his jumps, but I’m not at all sure he needs a full time jump coach. What makes his skating special is everything else he does. The idea is to add beautiful secure jumps to what is already amazing, not to abandon everything to focus on jumps.

Thats just my opinion, though. He’s a smart, strong-willed person, and I’m pretty sure he’s doing a lot of soul searching right now. It will be interesting to see what his next steps are.

Amei

Record Breaker
Jason Brown reminds me a lot of Todd Eldredge - a beautiful skater but trapped in jump era that they don't have. Of course Todd at least had the excuse that the quads became a big deal towards the end of his career, whereas Jason and his coaches at least since he was a junior skater would have known at least having 1 quad was going to be necessary to have.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Jason Brown reminds me a lot of Todd Eldredge - a beautiful skater but trapped in jump era that they don't have. Of course Todd at least had the excuse that the quads became a big deal towards the end of his career, whereas Jason and his coaches at least since he was a junior skater would have known at least having 1 quad was going to be necessary to have.

Which is why Jason and his coaches have been working on the quad for four years straight.

I understand if folks think it's a coaching problem, or a choreo problem, or whatever, and offer their opinions.

What does make me :scratch2: is any implication that Jason doesn't know how important the quad is, doesn't know how highly it is scored in comps, and in fact, if a bunch of strangers on the internet weren't telling him, he'd be skating around the rink doing singles.

He knows it, he trains it, and he tries.

Plenty of skaters can jump. Very few can do what Jason does. And very few can engender this much activity on their future prospects. Another gift of Jason's:laugh:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Yeah ancientpeas, look what you started! ;) You're getting ALL THE BOLDS.

FWIW, after Todd Eldridge failed to make his second Olympic team in 1994, he won a bunch of us championships and a few world medals and did make the Olympic team in 1998 at age 26 and 2002 at age 30, so if Jason wanted to emulate Todd Eldridge in that way, I wouldn't mind. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Amei

Record Breaker
Which is why Jason and his coaches have been working on the quad for four years straight.

I understand if folks think it's a coaching problem, or a choreo problem, or whatever, and offer their opinions.

What does make me :scratch2: is any implication that Jason doesn't know how important the quad is, doesn't know how highly it is scored in comps, and in fact, if a bunch of strangers on the internet weren't telling him, he'd be skating around the rink doing singles.

Plenty of skaters can jump. Very few can do what Jason does. And very few can engender this much activity on their future prospects. Another gift of Jason's:laugh:

My post was implying how he did not have a quad prior to going senior, from how it got talked about post-Sochi I get the impression that the quad wasn't something that had been a focus to learn.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

This is precisely what worries me should Jason leave Kori and Rohene in favor of a "jumping coach"...
That he would lose or sacrifice, at the behest of said jumping coach, everything else that is beautiful and unique about his skating for the sake of multiple quads. I have read here in GS pages those who feel he needs to "unlearn" his previous training to advance which IMHO is absolutely ludicrous!! The best coaching scenerio for Jason moving forward is to pair Kori & Rohene with compatible collabrative jumping coach and choregrapher to bring added dimension to Jason's performances. This won't be easy and some of the coaching alternatives mentioned here I don't see collaborating at all. I just don't want Jason to lose what makes him wonderful.

macy

Record Breaker
This is precisely what worries me should Jason leave Kori and Rohene in favor of a "jumping coach"...
That he would lose or sacrifice, at the behest of said jumping coach, everything else that is beautiful and unique about his skating for the sake of multiple quads. I have read here in GS pages those who feel he needs to "unlearn" his previous training to advance which IMHO is absolutely ludicrous!! The best coaching scenerio for Jason moving forward is to pair Kori & Rohene with compatible collabrative jumping coach and choregrapher to bring added dimension to Jason's performances. This won't be easy and some of the coaching alternatives mentioned here I don't see collaborating at all. I just don't want Jason to lose what makes him wonderful.

this kinda makes me think back to when Mariah bell moved from kori to raf, and if I remember right she wanted to still work with kori, but she wasn't open to coaching alongside raf. I wonder if she's opposed to collaborating with any coach at all or if it was just raf...whatever happens in the future I hope it's what's best for Jason's skating and well being and something like a coach's unwillingness to work with others doesn't put a dent in his progress or career.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
this kinda makes me think back to when Mariah bell moved from kori to raf, and if I remember right she wanted to still work with kori, but she wasn't open to coaching alongside raf. I wonder if she's opposed to collaborating with any coach at all or if it was just raf...whatever happens in the future I hope it's what's best for Jason's skating and well being and something like a coach's unwillingness to work with others doesn't put a dent in his progress or career.

Well if Kori was that against working with other coaches, she wouldn't have sent Jason to Frank and I know Jason's worked with different coaches over the course of his career.

I think the Mariah situation was a unique case and there were probably reasons she turned down the arrangement that may have been unique to that particular situation.

macy

Record Breaker
Well if Kori was that against working with other coaches, she wouldn't have sent Jason to Frank and I know Jason's worked with different coaches over the course of his career.

I think the Mariah situation was a unique case and there were probably reasons she turned down the arrangement that may have been unique to that particular situation.

I didn't know Jason had gone to work with frank, that makes me feel a bit better. that definitely makes me think the Mariah case was something different.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States

My thoughts exactly... not necessarily negative or an ego thing; certain personalities just do not mix. :slink: I meant collaboration as a logical step, but logic is only a small percentage of the process in making a champion. I said in a previous post prior to Nationals that Jason seemed like a caged lion under the light-hearted facade. Something extra is definitely needed in his process; Kori has always managed to figure things out for him before but he was young and dependant upon her totally. He is now young man, spreading his wings, with his own opinions, desires, proven when he over rode Rohene and Kori in his firm insistence on Hamilton as his SP this season. They may need to step back a bit and hand over the process while still remaining involved. If anyone can manage it, they can, I hope. Intrigued to see what will the outcome will be..

slider11

Medalist
Nothing will change his extraordinary skating and artistry skills. Hang in there, Jason. I think there is a shift from quad-mania to a more comprehensive total technical/performance view of what makes a champion skater. You'll still need solid triples and maybe a quad. But they won't totally define your chances of success.