Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Jason Brown: Post 2018 U.S. Nationals

macy

Record Breaker
Nothing will change his extraordinary skating and artistry skills. Hang in there, Jason. I think there is a shift from quad-mania to a more comprehensive total technical/performance view of what makes a champion skater. You'll still need solid triples and maybe a quad. But they won't totally define your chances of success.

i really hope you're right.

Icey

Record Breaker
Why did he go work with Frank? The kinds of things Frank could give him or improve on, Jason already had.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Wow. I'd never seen that.

Wish he could have replicated that in competition.

Likewise. That was incredible and really shows his potential... the axels looked soooo good! I wonder what happened between then and US Nationals, but he would have definitely made the team.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Jason seems to have been around for so so long. Though in fact he hasn't. I would love to see him retire and skate in shows. Such a great personality. He is a fan fave. I hate seeing him chasing after something he is not. It is sad Brian has notbeen able to really develop a Canadian. Maybe Stephen Gogolov will be the one???

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Likewise. That was incredible and really shows his potential... the axels looked soooo good! I wonder what happened between then and US Nationals, but he would have definitely made the team.

My theory (and probably Mrs P’s and el henry’s): I think that despite his smiling exterior, Jason is really driven. I think he’s frustrated that he can’t do in competition what he can do in practice. And I think he felt a lot of Olympic pressure this year.

He was thrilled to make the team in 2014, but I think the 2018 Olympics were always his goal. That’s when he figured he’d be in his prime physically and competitive for a medal. I’m sure it never occurred to him that he’d still be struggling to get his first quad in 2018, or that he wouldn’t be competitive for a medal even with one quad.

This year he had to face his own expectations. He was so near and yet so far with that 7th place finish at Worlds. All fall, I think he was trying to force the quads (toe and sal) to come and to combine them with really difficult programs so that he could not only repeat but better his 2014 success. Add in media obligations and you have a recipe for disaster. He’s been a little bit off all season, but I think at Nats the pressure was just too much and he imploded.

The irony is that had he simply skated two clean quadless programs as he did in 2014, he probably would have made the team again. But I don’t think that was good enough for him - he wanted to reach the next level.

Here’s hoping he’s able to move past all of this and do well at 4CCs! :)

mrrice

Record Breaker
Jason seems to have been around for so so long. Though in fact he hasn't. I would love to see him retire and skate in shows. Such a great personality. He is a fan fave. I hate seeing him chasing after something he is not. It is sad Brian has notbeen able to really develop a Canadian. Maybe Stephen Gogolov will be the one???

Speaking of Brian Orser and Canadians. How many Canadian Male students does Brian have???

noskates

Record Breaker

Skate in what shows? Not sure you can make a living out of skating SOI.

janetliz

Rinkside
Speaking of Brian Orser and Canadians. How many Canadian Male students does Brian have???

The only one I am aware of is Stephen Gogolev. I believe he is also one of Gabby's coaches, but not her primary coach. I do wonder how Nam's career would have progressed if he had stayed with Brian.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Skate in what shows? Not sure you can make a living out of skating SOI.

Jason is beloved in Japan (well, he's loved pretty well everywhere) - I have no doubt that he will be a popular request on the show tour there when that time comes, and I believe that pays extremely well.

I am hesitant to float this idea, but oh well, I will anyway. No laughing. Why should Jason leave Colorado Springs? He lives very near to two of the finest US jumpers of the modern era...and one is already a coach and the other has all the qualities to be a good one. One is unlikely to ever compete again and the other is nearing the end of his career...

If we're going to make suggestions, if it would work with two men he is on level with - why not? Joshua and Max have such fine jumps themselves...