2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 11 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I do think the new ending is more conclusive for that big Olympic moment.

especially looking at the changed musical arrangement in the second part of the dance, the whole ending is just more cohesive and for me the ending pose is an illustration of affection and emotional state they're in than the death like previously music suggested and all choreography leading to the ending pose.

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
On today’s edition of ridiculous things SarahSynchro’s loved ones say: my man-friend just lost his Moulin Rouge virginity. I kid thee not. He’s never heard the music before, and he’s not even sure if he’s ever seen the movie. :palmf:

“What the hell is this vocalist guy doing, singing Roxxane with a voice like that? Does he have bronchitis or something? If Sting was dead, he’d be rolling in his grave.”

:laugh2: :rofl: :laugh2:

rain

Record Breaker
"relaxed" in the sense that Scott certainly toned way down that crazy and weird over-attack he had going on in their GPF, and Tessa generally sharp and precise as always, but I sensed still some kind of nervousness or something prevented them from hitting just exactly the right note (their standards being absolute perfection, of course). They execute so much amazing stuff that it still comes off extremely GOOD but I don't think they peaked on it here, they are going for something more intense than what came off, to me. Will have to rewatch though, of course!

I liked the sinuousness of it, which I don't think they'd hit quite as well since Skate Canada until this performance. I do always hope for a peak at the Olympics of course. You don't want to leave your absolute best on nationals ice.

pearly

Record Breaker
On today’s edition of ridiculous things SarahSynchro’s loved ones say: my man-friend just lost his Moulin Rouge virginity. I kid thee not. He’s never heard the music before, and he’s not even sure if he’s ever seen the movie. :palmf:

“What the hell is this vocalist guy doing, singing Roxxane with a voice like that? Does he have bronchitis or something? If Sting was dead, he’d be rolling in his grave.”

:laugh2: :rofl: :laugh2:

That can only mean one thing Sarah - he doesn't watch enough skating with you. It's only been a season and a half here and mine can already list all the warhorses.

rain

Record Breaker
I just can't watch anything live when it is from Canada. Frustrating.
Anyway, so happy for WeaPos to be back on the podium, but this FD is (and always was) just made for them. Nice one!

However, I'm dancing on the table with Piper & Paul coming second. Wow! So good. All I have to do now is actually watching it :laugh:

This was just about the ideal outcome for me personally. I always root for the underdog, and thought G/P have gotten a bit of a raw deal at times in the past. So thrilled for them.

At the same time, I really wanted W/P to head to the Olympics on a high note (I'd love to see them have a shot at bronze), so their big score in the FD does that.

pearly

Record Breaker
Did Tessa and Scott's rotational lift look ok to you guys? I thought her right leg started sliding off a bit too early.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
So people keep saying this is Tessa and Scott's last nationals... Can I hold out any hope that they might "retire" and then come back again, or is it really over? :no:

hope dies last like they are saying, would love to see them go one more year, for the good measure and 'mileage' of their renewed competitive chapter:laugh:, but it feels like there won't be such priviledge...Anyway, watching now their 'ultimate' fluff and really being moved over all these moment I've grown up with them...

LadyB

Record Breaker
This was just about the ideal outcome for me personally. I always root for the underdog, and thought G/P have gotten a bit of a raw deal at times in the past. So thrilled for them.

At the same time, I really wanted W/P to head to the Olympics on a high note (I'd love to see them have a shot at bronze), so their big score in the FD does that.

Pretty much sums up my sentiment. :agree:

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
That can only mean one thing Sarah - he doesn't watch enough skating with you. It's only been a season and a half here and mine can already list all the warhorses.

When I showed my Dad their program for the first time, he was like, "Is this Roxanne?!" I had to explain that it's used in Moulin Rouge. He knows a lot of the war horses though.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
If these two programs don't win olympic gold... I'm done with this sport

It was nice knowing you Evelina. I really like the changes in the programs but P/C essentially would have to make major errors to lose the OGM. I give full credit to V and M - they really can do it all lyrical, dramatic, avant garde, jazz, tango, ball room, broadway, fun, regal....But the scores/judging is what counts. I just think the momentum is pro P/C all the way.

MelDee

Final Flight
It was nice knowing you Evelina. I really like the changes in the programs but P/C essentially would have to make major errors to lose the OGM. I give full credit to V and M - they really can do it all lyrical, dramatic, avant garde, jazz, tango, ball room, broadway, fun, regal....But the scores/judging is what counts. I just think the momentum is pro P/C all the way.

When have V/M done avant garde? Could you give me the link?

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Pink Floyd and Carmen might be deemed avante garde. But to each to their own. And I saw an exhibition which I can't remember and I was quite impressed because it was very different.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Okay so I think I'm entering too much of a subjective area there. Let me explain.

So I watched it : Both step sequences much much better for sure, they breathe. It does looks like they didn't want to peak here, because they were 100% but not 101% (if that makes sense), the tango part was less "violent" than at GPF.
I don't really like the second song, but I can deal with it.
The whole performance is much smoother so, less "rushed", the overall impression is SO MUCH better.

However, I don't think I can relate to that type of program because this is purely subjective here. I'll explain :

The fact that I find it cheesy and everything has nothing to do with their skating. I've never had that "musical/broadway/flashy theatrical" kind of culture ever, because I live in Western Europe and it's more of an American thing, but mostly because I've never liked it (like I said, or me it's cheesy...). So I don't necessarily feel it, however, I'm more wowed by the skating than the actual songs or story (but maybe that's better right ?).

They might get OGM with this, and that'll be great for them. Maybe I just wished it was something else than something I don't necessarily like by nature. But it's great that they managed to deliver such a strong performance in front of their crowd for their final Nationals, I'm so happy for them !

By the way... Canada wins inflation. *runs and hide* :laugh:

Lester

Piper and Paul are made of magic dust and unicorns
Final Flight
Paul is in shock!

Just rewatched it, he really seems to be in shock :D

It's an alright program, I guess but I hoped for something more special for the Olympics. Still, it got the job done today.

Roast Toast

Medalist
I don't see the program changes as better or worse -- it's a difference in stylistic choice, not a straight upgrade. If they believe it is a more impactful second half, then I trust their judgement. The retooled Carmen convinced me at Worlds. I will miss the forehead touch, such a sweet, tender moment in the original choreo. Even more impactful than the new ending (imo) is that gorgeous ina bauer / spiral combo that they placed where the curved lift used to be... Real goosebumps moment!

Superficially speaking, Scott's new costume is a million times better than the grey mid-stomach turtleneck and I love the way it matches Tessa's dress (by the way, if Tessa ditches this dress at the Olympics I will throw a fit... the colour, the way it frames her back -- ugh, just gorgeous).

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
I can't with Tracy Wilson saying : "better than Torvill and Dean".

No. I get the hype and everything, they're easily in the greatest skaters ever for sure. But T&D have pushed the sport artistically in a way that no one has EVER. It's not just about being great technicians (and I'm saying that comparing eras !) and even perform emotionnally or whatever. But the fact is V/M (even if they have done many styles) have pushed the sport technically but certainly not artistically and you have to admit it. And that's okay (they could still do that in shows). I always thought they had a bit more of that they could show us when they came back.

The backfire is that, in the case V/M don't have the OGM, people are going to scream. "How can the greatest team of all time did not win ?!". Ouch.

bramweld

Record Breaker
I can't with Tracy Wilson saying : "better than Torvill and Dean".

No. I get the hype and everything, they're easily in the greatest skaters ever for sure. But T&D have pushed the sport artistically in a way that no one has EVER. It's not just about being great technicians (and I'm saying that comparing eras !) and even perform emotionnally or whatever. But the fact is V/M (even if they have done many styles) have pushed the sport technically but certainly not artistically and you have to admit it. And that's okay (they could still do that in shows). I always thought they had a bit more of that they could show us when they came back.

The backfire is that, in the case V/M don't have the OGM, people are going to scream. "How can the greatest team of all time did not win ?!". Ouch.

Just as it happened with T&D. They will be mighty fine whatever the outcome because they are just a classy pair. :)