2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Free Dance

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Loved it. I really approve of the change. The denouement downer ending was just not cutting it for me.
I thought W/P were great and I'm happy for G/P. The James Bond program needs some more time though.
I also really liked S/F and in the earlier group I liked A/W a lot. I'm happy with the top five.

So Tracy thinks V/M are the best ever. Big deal. It's not like they are going to get a special prize for that. People need to stop falling for hype.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
I do believe there’s a case for Virtue and Moir being greatest of all time when you look at body of work and influence on their peers, which is what I think Tracy was referring to. (Btw, can we nominate Tracy Wilson for best sitting posture?) But I do think Rod was pushing her to make the T&D comparison. It didn’t come from her.

I do think V&M are a legendary team who deserve a perfect score. They’re also the type of legendary team that deserves two Olympic gold medals. Personally, Moulin Rouge is not what I wanted from them as their last FD, but when I look at what they do in this program, there are no faults. They perform their material artistically and technically at the highest level.

I agree about V/M's body of work and bringing dance back to ice dance. It's been refreshing to watch them over the years with their many styles and influences on other dance teams. It's great when skaters "push the envelope" so to speak and leave their mark on FS perhaps that is what Tracy is saying. Since it is Canadian Nationals they earned their top marks and respect from their fellow competitors. I also wish they'd picked different music than Moulin Rouge for their last FD at the Olympics especially when P/C are skating to Moonlight Sonata, how does one top Beethoven, musically speaking?

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Okay, I'll agree with Torvill/Dean and Klimova/Ponomarenko....just saying

all that

Final Flight
Ok, calm down Tracy Wilson haha. They are one of the greatest ever, but I do think they have competition for that top spot LOL.

Davis/White, Torvill/Dean, Klimova/Ponomarenko and Grishuk/Platov would like to say hi.

Davis/White don't belong anywhere near that list. But the rest, yes, agree.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Okay, I'll agree with Torvill/Dean and Klimova/Ponomarenko....just saying

These two and V/M are the only three I would guarantee places in the pantheon of ice dance legends.

I was never a G/P lover. Speed and theatrics do not great dancers make in my book. Before I would include them or even Davis/White (who I really enjoy!) I would include Usova/Zhulin. He was one of the most natural, captivating dancers I have ever seen and she had one of the best leg lines in history. Their 1992 Olympic free dance is a masterclass on lines and beautiful positions. K/P was just amazing however (but the Duchesnays were a hot mess that year). U/Z's 1993 Blues for Klook was pure heat and brilliance. It's too bad that they didn't have better material in 1994.

Matt K

On the Ice
Davis/White should not be considered close to being "legendary" along with couples like K/P or T/D, and G/P and the like. Unless acrobatics on ice and inferior skating and expression is the new "legendary".

Davis/White I think are the weakest OGM in all of ice dancing history.

After watching the GP, I did not think Moulin Rouge could be salvaged. But the music cuts now are so much better that it is so unfortunate that they didn't debut this version during the GP.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Oh, I completely agree that not all modern dance is avant garde. I think P/C are actually a good example of this. I do regard, especially V/M's Carmen, as pushing the boundaries enough to move into avant garde.

And I agree about the Duchesnays as well.

It was a bit before my time, but I believe Bestmianova and Bukin did some stuff that was considered pretty avant garde for their time as well.

Their second mark start value should have been a 5.5 because of her posture alone :devil:

- - - Updated - - -

Davis/White should not be considered close to being "legendary" along with couples like K/P or T/D, and G/P and the like. Unless acrobatics on ice and inferior skating and expression is the new "legendary".

After watching the GP, I did not think Moulin Rouge could be salvaged. But the music cuts now are so much better that it is so unfortunate that they didn't debut this version during the GP.

You guys are coming hard tonight!! :popcorn:

Cherry blossom

Match Penalty
Ok, calm down Tracy Wilson haha. They are one of the greatest ever, but I do think they have competition for that top spot LOL.

Davis/White, Torvill/Dean, Klimova/Ponomarenko and Grishuk/Platov would like to say hi.

That being said, that FS was definitely in the top 5 free dances I’ve ever seen, taking into account the technical PRECISION, combined with their storytelling capability and Bravura.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/l3q2K5jinAlChoCLS/giphy.gif

Matt K

On the Ice
V/M's programs are much more difficult than the ones they have had in the past under Zoueva. The midline step sequence in the Moulin Rouge FD is harder than it looks and much more difficult than what Zoueva does with her teams (which is just recycling same turns in the same predictable direction presumably to make the points-collecting process less arduous for both the skater and the judge).

V/M's dances these past two seasons have more choreography and difficulty than what Zoueva did for them. Much more coherent and less looking like an exercise of choreography by numbers.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGFan

Record Breaker
Good to see G/P back with a stronger vehicle.:clap: The Bond music is overused but at least it moves and has highlights to showcase some of their innovative lifts and positions. I still think Paul's character can grow, and they need to get those twizzles together but I was worried about the old program

keasus

On the Ice

You don't like D/W, we get it, but if you think they are the weakest OGM in ice dancing, obviously you need a history lesson in Olympic ice dancing:handw:

Matt K

On the Ice
You don't like D/W, we get it, but if you think they are the weakest OGM in ice dancing, obviously you need a history lesson in Olympic ice dancing:handw:

D/W are not only the weakest OGM in ice dancing history, but I think the weakest by a long mile and will hold this title for as long as ice dancing remains a sport in the Olympics. They are already forgotten and I think the reason they did not try to defend their (questionable) Olympic title is because well, they knew that they would get quashed. They saw the high, unprecedented level of skating, expression, and style exhibited by P/C in the 2015 and 2016 years, and with V/M's comeback in 2017 in which they beat P/C, it was very wise for D/W to opt out. Ice dancing experienced an anomaly with D/W's "win" in 2013-2014, where ice dance reverted backwards to not being ice dancing at all, but some very mangled conception of what ice dancing is. I think that many (perhaps skaters, coaches, and those who spent much time in the sport) and fans were troubled during this time. Articles from skating coaches and skaters popped up criticizing if not D/W, then the style of ice dancing that came to be under D/W's years. Very legitimate, of course. Except of course, the Americans. They needed badly for a first ever ice dance gold and needed an ice dance team to prop up. The likes of Phil Hersh and Christine Brennan contributed to this US media spin, of course. Coincidentally, they are my least favorite sports "journalists" of all time.

After D/W's retirement, ice dancing has become ice dancing again, and progressed and advanced even further thanks to P/C. Now that V/M have made a successful comeback, these two teams will contribute to possibly the greatest ever ice dancing rivalry that we have ever seen. The 2018 Olympic performances between V/M and P/C will be one for the ages that we have not seen ever. It will truly be a spectacular and extraordinary event the likes with which we have never witnessed.

GGFan

Record Breaker
D/W are not only the weakest OGM in ice dancing history, but I think the weakest by a long mile and will hold this title for as long as ice dancing remains a sport in the Olympics.

These flames are too hot for my old bones to handle :drama::popcorn::coffee:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
These flames are too hot for my old bones to handle :drama::popcorn::coffee:

Those poor jerks at all those skating events and companies who keep giving them endorsements and shows. They are so ignorant on ice dancing! :laugh:
I'm sure Meryl is crying herself to sleep on her airweave mattress knowing she's part of the the worse OGM ice dancing pair ever.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I have never been a D/W fan. They leave me cold but I don't think anyone can argue that they are great technicians and great ambassadors for the ice dancing community.

I'm not sure why anyone would think D/W were not deserving winners in 2014. (even though I personally wanted the French team to win because I loved the Little Prince)