2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - FS | Page 13 | Golden Skate

2018 Canadian Nationals Senior Pairs - FS

pearly

Record Breaker
Only Tarasova/Morozov can save us from Candyman getting an Olympic medal. Their free at the final would have them easily off the podium. But they might win Olympic gold in the team... :drama:

I forgot about that, but I keep telling you guys, team event medals barely count :noshake: :biggrin:

The Russian streamer is provoking. Following Julia's FS in Sochi with Jason's at nationals made me laugh out loud. For a moment I thought he was gonna do short, but that "fs" was a slap in the face :biggrin:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
The Russian Operative rerunning the Chinese Robin Hood's stream. :laugh2:

Communist conspiracy we are happily hooked on. :drama: :rofl:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Seems Lubov fell victim to the Canadian curse of a ladies foreign skater getting Canadian citizenship in the last three Olympic seasons and not making the team joining Kaityln Weaver in 2010 and Piper Gillies in 2014. :shocked:

CAS

On the Ice
Seems Lubov fell victim to the Canadian curse of a ladies foreign skater getting Canadian citizenship in the last three Olympic seasons and not making the team joining Kaityln Weaver in 2010 and Piper Gillies in 2014. :shocked:

Makes one wonder if they get a little too soft once that uncertainty is removed. Well at least in the case of Lubov as I don't feel the other two were better than the teams that made it ahead of them.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Honestly really saddened about I/M. They are my team and I fangirl for them. :cry:

I am happy S/B skated so well. They are my favourites because I believe in them technically way more than I ever trusted I/M. I hope this is the beginning of a return to form for them.

Congrats to Meagan and Eric on the win.

And well done to MTM and MM on getting to go to the Olympics.

cathlen

Team Gorgeous Cacti!
Record Breaker
Country
Poland
What happened to I/M? :sad21: The scores are so low! I didn't even take the possibility they may not make Olympic team after last Worlds, but here we are....

Sam L

Medalist
Any chance of Patrick staying on and competing till the 2020 worlds in Montreal?

QuadThrow

Medalist
Kirsten beats Dylan at the very end. This is quite a story.

I am sad for I/M because their pair skating skills are the best. But that is life.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I missed the first group live but I had to give props to Ruest and Wolfe. He is a beautiful pairs man! :clap: His turns and his back! :love: He also hits his jumps beautifully. I hope they get their twist together and move up next quad

LittleLotte29

Record Breaker
So yeah.
Quite saddened for I/M. Their spot seemed to be secured! And they seemed to be pretty sure of this qualification. But ya know, ice is slippery etc...
I'm happy for Kirsten and Michael. Like, really happy. Everyone had written them off and yesterday they simply had a skate of their lives and are heading to Korea now. Big congrats. And a lovely program, absolutely lovely.
Of course, happy for Meagan and Eric, I love them and I believe in them.
And OMG Charlie and Julianne! Great, wonderful, marvellous!

waterblades

On the Ice
I wonder if Skate Canada will pick I/M for the Olympics? I am pretty sure they have done better internationally? I could be a bit of a scandal but not that big of one.

slider11

Medalist
I wonder if Skate Canada will pick I/M for the Olympics? I am pretty sure they have done better internationally? I could be a bit of a scandal but not that big of one.

Agreed. If I/M is picked over MT/M or S/B, that would be quite controversial. But there is a need for an analysis of "body of work" since that is the Canadian system for the selection process. The problem with I/M is that this season has not been good and neither program has been strongly received. I think the "At This Moment" is gaining some ground but maybe too late. Certainly taking the Worlds from last year, I/M would have it. But this season's GP has been up and down for all. This Nationals may be the tie breaker and MT/M and S/B skated well and I/M did not. Unless the previous competitions can outweigh this one, I think I/M stay home. It breaks my heart because they (I/M) are my favorite team.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker

I would doubt it. If I/M had some kind of possibility of getting on the podium then maybe but as it stands I think the team is going to stay as they finished at nationals. Michael Slipchuk basically said that. I think if Eliadj or Liam had been second maybe they might have minerred one of them but I doubt they would do this to KTM/MM who do have some international success.

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
finally caught on pairs and...cannot stop marvelling about Julianne and Charlie, what a performance!

I am so glad they seem to get back to themselves from their 1st senior season - they totally owned the ice and created something I'd call 'magic of the moment'. What impressed me the most was the confidence, attack and no hesitation going into ALL elements, almost like they have done it on autpilot, switching off thinking/analyzing, switching on emotion and feeling. And big YES to getting back their trademark speed and flow!

As for the program, I have to give it to Marie-France that she really has a trick to make those understated, 'je ne sais quoi' type of programs shine at its brightest with right team - I truly found both of them lost and affectionate into the music and the connection between them; their musical sensibility in interpretation is also a gem in that performance, to give out the nuance of this distinct rhythm change during the piece by movement's character is very tough to achieve, yet they've done it seamlessly. This is one of those programs that draw your attention by the sheer flow, continuity, simplicity representing huge amount of sophistication of the pair that elevates the piece altogether: musically, visually, emotion-wise. Julianne's 'OMG, we did it!' smile after 3Loth was a pararell moment to Scott's hands raising during last lift in a victory gesture, simple yet memorable.

kevinVchicago

Record Breaker
finally caught on pairs and...cannot stop marvelling about Julianne and Charlie, what a performance!

I am so glad they seem to get back to themselves from their 1st senior season - they totally owned the ice and created something I'd call 'magic of the moment'. What impressed me the most was the confidence, attack and no hesitation going into ALL elements, almost like they have done it on autpilot, switching off thinking/analyzing, switching on emotion and feeling. And big YES to geting back their trademark speed and flow!

As for the program, I have to give it to Marie-France that she really has a trick to make those understated, 'je ne sais quoi' type of programs shine at its brightest with right team - I truly found both of them lost and affectionate into the music and the connection between them; their musical sensibility in interpretation is also a gem in that performance, to give out the nuance of this distinct rhythm change during the piece by movement's character is very tough to achieve, yet they've done it seamlessly. This is one of those programs that draw your attention by the sheer flow, continuity, simplicity representing huge amount of sophistication of the pair that elevates the piece altogether: musically, visually, emotion-wise. Julianne's 'OMG, we did it!' smile after 3Loth was a pararell moment to Scott's hands raising during last lift in a victory gesture, simple yet memorable.
Yes, you've stated it perfectly! I agree.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Here's the RDS (the French version of TSN) coverage of Séguin's & Bilodeau's performances, in case some of you might be interested in the French commentary.

SP: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6drsaa

Post-SP Interview: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6du5qo (The interview itself is the same as the TSN version, but with additional info by the RDS commentators before and after.)

LP: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dhk82

LP kiss & cry: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6dhh1a

Although I had filmed these with my camera (which creates 1080p videos) from my friend's TV screen, the quality is fairly good for this type of recording. I don't have a tripod, so I did my best not to move my hands as much as possible.