Canadian Team Looking ahead to The 2018-19 | Golden Skate

Canadian Team Looking ahead to The 2018-19

singerskates

On the Ice
After watching the Skate Canada Canadian Tire National Figure Skating Championships' Men's Freeskate, I found out that there will be several Canadian male skaters retiring.

#CTNSC18 RESULT Retiring Skaters;

1: Patrick Chan
2: Keegan Messing
4: Elladj Baldé
5: Kevin Reynolds
8: Liam Firus

Note: Canadian male skaters were attempting and mostly had at least one clean quad jump in their Freeskate all the way down to 10th place.

These are the male skaters from which Skate Canada will have left to chose from for their 2018-2019 fall Grand Prix Assignments/team;

Skater Results - Name - Total Score

3: Nam Nguyen 258.16
6: Joseph Phan 241.71
7: Roman Sadovsky 233.67
9: Nicolas Nadeau 227.51
11: Conrad Orzel 207.66

10th place Stephen Gogolev who earned 214.81 total points is only 13 and will have to wait 2 seasons for the Senior International Team, but he will be a force to be reckoned with once he takes his landed Quad Lutz from the warm up to his competition Freeskate program. He did a beautiful 4Lz in the warm up, like he eats them for breakfast today.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
When talking to Ted Nam seemed to be saying he is looking to go to University. Maybe he won't want to put that off for four years. Who knows.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Patrick Chan has been 'going to university' for about 9 seasons. Sport has time limits but post-secondary education does not. He needs to sort out his priorities.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Keegan has said in his post-medal ceremony interview (go to 30:01 of this video http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6d32vq) that he may stick around for a couple of more seasons.

If he chooses to retire after two years, it may be after 2020 worlds which will be in Montreal, so he'll get to skate on home ice. At that point he'll be 27, so it's definitely possible that he's thinking ahead to there.

The goal is to make the Olympics, and he's accomplished that. I hope he has a great time and does well! :)

Canadianskatingfan

On the Ice
I also think some new juniors may be coming up in the ranks during the next 4 years too! From watching the junior mens event, some people stood out to me. Iliya Kovler is young and has good triple triples already and a very nice axel. He has the potential for triple axels and quads I think. Samuel Turcotte is also good but he is much older and a little bit wild but if he can learn to be more consistent and control his technique he could be great! Another one is Jack Dushenski who will have 2 seasons left in junior I believe and his power and speed is amazing live. He has potential for 3A and maybe 4S or 4T I would think. He is also needs to control his jumps a little bit more though. Matthew Markell is a beautiful skater and has nice jumps but may need to re-work his axel technique a little bit for triple. His salchow seems promising though. Corey Circelli seems very consistent and his technique is nice and controlled, he is already attempting the 3A! Nice lines and presentation too. Canada has so many youngsters with great potential! Many of them are in senior (nationally) already too! I really love Joseph Phan's skating and he seems to have mastered the quad already. Stephen is just a phenom and Conrads quads are so impressive. I believe Roman Sadovsky is also quite young still? I think Canadian men's skating has a bright future ahead of them!

singerskates

On the Ice
When talking to Ted Nam seemed to be saying he is looking to go to University. Maybe he won't want to put that off for four years. Who knows.
Nam Nguyen could attend university during the spring & summer session in person and take online course during the fall and winter seasons. Other successful skaters have done it.

sarama

Medalist
To me the men's field looks like the healthiest one going forward for Canada (despite probably bring its weakest right now). Canadian men are often a bit of late bloomers, and this group of guys looks very promising to me. Nam is the one that puzzles me the most, just because his basic skating isn't that great.
Gogolev is a complete different story, obviously. I hope he takes care of his health, but for the rest I'd say he is looking good:biggrin:

It's the other three disciplines that really worry me. In pairs they always manage to produce something because of their excellent coaches, for ladies I'd think Kaetlyn and Gabby will continue, but there is really nothing behind them, and in dance in a few months they will go from being the leading country to very little:slink:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
To me the men's field looks like the healthiest one going forward for Canada (despite probably bring its weakest right now). Canadian men are often a bit of late bloomers, and this group of guys looks very promising to me. Nam is the one that puzzles me the most, just because his basic skating isn't that great.
Gogolev is a complete different story, obviously. I hope he takes care of his health, but for the rest I'd say he is looking good:biggrin:

It's the other three disciplines that really worry me. In pairs they always manage to produce something because of their excellent coaches, for ladies I'd think Kaetlyn and Gabby will continue, but there is really nothing behind them, and in dance in a few months they will go from being the leading country to very little:slink:

Not sure Canada is the leading country in Ice Dance. Yes they have one of the two favorites for the Gold medal but beyond the three top teams they have no one that could make the 12 at Worlds while the US has 3 of the top teams in the world that could finish in the top 5 at the Olympics and Worlds and more good teams behind them.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
To me the men's field looks like the healthiest one going forward for Canada (despite probably bring its weakest right now). Canadian men are often a bit of late bloomers, and this group of guys looks very promising to me.

ITA. Yes, the men's discipline is currently Canada's weakest, but I think there's greater potential for depth in the future, and depth is something that Canada normally lacks. I'm actually more anxious about the other three events.

siberia82

Addicted to Canadian men's singles skating
Record Breaker
Country
Canada
From watching the junior mens event, some people stood out to me. Iliya Kovler is young and has good triple triples already and a very nice axel. He has the potential for triple axels and quads I think. Samuel Turcotte is also good but he is much older and a little bit wild but if he can learn to be more consistent and control his technique he could be great! Another one is Jack Dushenski who will have 2 seasons left in junior I believe and his power and speed is amazing live. He has potential for 3A and maybe 4S or 4T I would think. He is also needs to control his jumps a little bit more though. Matthew Markell is a beautiful skater and has nice jumps but may need to re-work his axel technique a little bit for triple. His salchow seems promising though. Corey Circelli seems very consistent and his technique is nice and controlled, he is already attempting the 3A! Nice lines and presentation too.

I appreciate so much you bringing up the junior men. :thumbsup: In addition to tuning into the Nationals livestream, I've watched all of the guys you mentioned compete in person at the SC Challenge, and I've also seen Markell and Turcotte at the Quebec Summer Championships.

I agree with everything you've said, and the only thing I wanted to add is that I find Turcotte's skating to be very "stiff" outside of his jumps (perhaps it's not as obvious on a screen, but it's definitely obvious while I was sitting in the stands), especially when you compare him to Markell and Circelli. I'm sure you've noticed that both Turcotte and Markell used "To Build a Home" for their free skates, and it was a weird coincidence that at both the QSC and Nationals, they skated one after the other, and IMHO, Markell's expression and flow across the ice are waaaaaaaaaay better.

I really love Joseph Phan's skating and he seems to have mastered the quad already. Stephen is just a phenom and Conrads quads are so impressive.

I saw them at the Challenge, too (and Joseph again at the QSC), and while Stephen and Conrad had a rough time there, it was still very easy to see that they carry so much potential, and I became more interested in their careers afterwards. :)

And Joseph is Phan-tastic! :biggrin: 4everchan's (who is no longer active on this forum) nickname for him is mini-Chiddy because of his Chan-like qualities. I'm not saying that Joseph's skating is exactly like Chan's---nor does he have to be---but of all the skaters that I've seen, Joseph is the closest to following Chan's footsteps.

I believe Roman Sadovsky is also quite young still?

Yes, he's 18. I sort of see him as a tall Jeff Buttle, who happens to be Roman's idol. :luv17:

I think Canadian men's skating has a bright future ahead of them!

I'm so glad you think so! :yes: Some people believe it's all doom-and-gloom for the Canadian men, but I choose to be optimistic. We do have a lot of talented guys in both the senior and junior ranks, and for the most part, their main issue is a lack of consistency with the jumps. When they do land them well, they're amazing! :love: I've been following this sport for nearly a decade now, and honestly, I've never liked so many Canadian men's singles skaters at the same time. In the past, I usually would only pay close attention to 2 or 3 at most, but they're about 9 now that I think are wonderful, and maybe that number will grow in the future.

S

skatefan7

ITA. Yes, the men's discipline is currently Canada's weakest, but I think there's greater potential for depth in the future, and depth is something that Canada normally lacks. I'm actually more anxious about the other three events.

Gabby and Kaetlyn are still young enough to be around for a while so I think the woman have time to grow and find good replacements for them so I think the women will be alright. I think pairs are in really good shape. Some of the younger senior pairs they didn't show on TSN (only on live stream) were quite impressive. Lets not forget that Séguin & Bilodeau are still young and when healthy are a good pair. We also seem to have some very promising pairs in novice, one even broke the Canadian record. On the dance side, I really like Soucisse & Firus and think they have a bright future and the Junior winners this year also broke the Canadian record. The pipeline seems to be in good shape.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Marjorie & Zachary will likely be going senior next season. Alicia & Claudio have no choice but to move up. I prefer both to Carolane & Shane but they are a solidly Gadbois team available to represent Canada.

Junior ice dance in Canada has a diversity in styles because of the different coaches - Wing/Lowe in BC, Mariposa in Barrie, Andrew Hallam at Cricket Club, Carol & Juris in Scarborough, Asher Hill & gang in Brampton, and the various Montreal schools to name a few. Ice dance depth is still developing though. The good thing is that a handful of the junior teams who got assignments this season (at least 5 of them) have a few years left to do the JGP. In the meantime there will be some adjustments needed for those moving up to get accustomed senior ice dance. That'll be a real test for those teams.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Ok make that 4 teams. Irina Galiyanova / Tommy Tang have parted ways. Tommy is focusing on his education.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdyeGlknbVw/

If Irina is continuing I'm sure Carol will look for a partner for her. Any junior aged ice dance guys out there looking for a stunning and gifted partner?

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
If he chooses to retire after two years, it may be after 2020 worlds which will be in Montreal, so he'll get to skate on home ice. At that point he'll be 27, so it's definitely possible that he's thinking ahead to there.

The goal is to make the Olympics, and he's accomplished that. I hope he has a great time and does well! :)

With Patrick retiring, the Canadian title is up for grab and the current Silver medalist is in the best position to take it, before the next wave of youngsters mature into contenders. Staying till 2020 Worlds in Montreal seems a natural plan.