Figure skaters Look-alikes | Page 18 | Golden Skate

Figure skaters Look-alikes

CaroLiza_fan

EZETTIE LATUASV IVAKMHA
Record Breaker
Country
Northern-Ireland
Eteri Tutberidze and Elsa Pataky

Now there is a name I haven't heard in years!

When Elsa's boyfriend, Fonsi Nieto, was racing in the 250GP World Championship, she was always in the paddock, and was getting as much press attention as he was. And I remember the British Eurosport commentators telling us that they were the Spanish equivalent of Posh and Becks. That they were genuinely that high profile. (Well, he is the nephew of the legend that was Ángel Nieto, after all. And although Ángel's sons also raced, Fonsi was the most successful of that generation of the family).

But, after Fonsi moved to the World Superbike championship, we didn't get to see as much of him and Elsa. There wasn't as much media attention around them there, probably because it was an Italian owned championship (as opposed to MotoGP, which is Spanish owned).

So, it was only there now when I looked Elsa up to see what she looked like now that I found out that she and Fonsi had split up donkey's years ago! :shocked:

And, even better than that, since then she has married and had children with yer fella Hemsworth that I remember best from "Home and Away" that seems to pop up in everything! :jaw:

It's well seeing that I don't follow celebrity gossip. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Coryocris

Praise our Little Bear
On the Ice
Country
Germany
Now there is a name I haven't heard in years!

When Elsa's boyfriend, Fonsi Nieto, was racing in the 250GP World Championship, she was always in the paddock, and was getting as much press attention as he was. And I remember the British Eurosport commentators telling us that they were the Spanish equivalent of Posh and Becks. That they were genuinely that high profile. (Well, he is the nephew of the legend that was Ángel Nieto, after all. And although Ángel's sons also raced, Fonsi was the most successful of that generation of the family).

But, after Fonsi moved to the World Superbike championship, we didn't get to see as much of him and Elsa. There wasn't as much media attention around them there, probably because it was an Italian owned championship (as opposed to MotoGP, which is Spanish owned).

So, it was only there now when I looked Elsa up to see what she looked like now that I found out that she and Fonsi had split up donkey's years ago! :shocked:

And, even better than that, since then she has married and had children with yer fella Hemsworth that I remember best from "Home and Away" that seems to pop up in everything! :jaw:

It's well seeing that I don't follow celebrity gossip. :drama:

CaroLiza_fan

Spanish twitter was on fire some months ago because she killed a big-ass spider in her home and filmed it. Now she's our national hero :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
She also dated Adrian Brody some time. This girl has an amazing life :agree:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Polina Edmunds and...Belita

Polina Edmunds:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdL8wnPHoGM/

and Belita:

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-qCmHe-EW...egVreNPetJxYmjpYXwCLcBGAs/s1600/12-Belita.png

Polina is, of course, the two-time U.S. silver medalist, Olympian, and gold medalist at the Four Continents Championships.

Belita was the professional name of Maria Belita Jepson-Turner, who competed for Great Britain as a 15-year old at the 1936 Winter Olympics. She finished 16th in the last of the four Olympic competitions won by Sonja Henie.

She was one of the favorites for the 1940 Olympics, with a lyrical skating style that owed much to the classical Russian ballet training she was receiving. When those Games were cancelled with the outbreak of what became the Second World War, she partnered for a time with Anton Dolin in the Dolin-Markov Ballet, then came to America to begin a film career.

Most of her films were made for Monogram Pictures, a Hollywood studio better known for its inexpensive Bomba the Jungle Boy and Bowery Boys series, also for Jean-Luc Godard dedicating his film, “Breathless” (“A bout de souffle”) to it. She was apparently Monogram’s answer to its Poverty Row competitor, Republic Pictures, which had engaged the Czech figure skater, Vera Hruba, who, incidentally, had finished 17th at those 1936 Games.

Monogram’s productions for her were generally of the “putting on a show” variety, with better production values than was their wont. Even when she was given a role that was out of the ordinary, however, as in the film noir, “The Hunted,” in which she was quite good, she was sure to have a skating number.

In fact, it was while watching “The Hunted” that I noticed a distinct resemblance between her and Polina. Both are quite fair, with long, wide-eyed faces framed by the gentle ellipses of the cheekbones, long, well-shaped noses, delicate, sensual lips, and willowy figures. Their skating styles are very different, with the emphasis on spins and deep edges then and jumps now, but each moved to the music in a way which suggested that she had called it into being.

Last edited:

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Laurence Owen and Janet Lynn

Laurence Owen:

and Janet Lynn:

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/3e/17/4e/3e174e0822c5d119d32d2b5e98a78b27.jpg

Laurence Owen was the United States and North American ladies champion when she boarded Sabena Flight 548 at Idlewild Airport on February 14, 196 for a flight to Brussels, Belgium and then to Prague, Czechoslovakia, where the World Figure Skating Championships were to begin on February 22nd. With her was the United States figure skating team, including her mother, the renowned skater and teacher, Maribel Vinson-Owen, and her sister, Maribel, who had also won the U.S. pairs championship that year with her partner, Dudley Richards. The next morning, as the Boeing 707 airliner approached Zaventem Airport outside Brussels, it unaccountably tried to gain altitude and circle for a landing on another runway. Instead, it stalled and fell from the sky into a marshy field outside the airport. All 72 passengers and crew were killed in the ensuing explosion and fire. Laurence Owen was just 16 years old. Among the debris was a singed copy of the Sports Illustrated issue featuring her on its cover as “America’s most exciting girl skater.”

Janet Lynn, or Janet Lynn Nowicki, to give her full name, succeeded Peggy Fleming as U.S. champion and was one of the second generation of figure skaters produced by this country after the Brussels disaster. Though she would not enjoy quite the success that Peggy had in international competition, she was certainly one of the most brilliant free skaters ever to have taken the ice.

There is a startling resemblance between Laurence Owen and Janet Lynn, each having a fresh and wholesome appearance, with round cheeks, large, beautiful eyes, and a pixie-like haircut that would flutter and flow around her face as she skated. There was similarity to their skating as well, in that each had a considerable presence on the ice and a dancer’s ability to relate to her music. Had Laurence lived and fulfilled her promise, possibly she would have later sat as a commentator, watching Peggy Fleming and then Janet follow her triumphs with their own, the golden cord between them unbroken.

Last edited: