Messing in "hog heaven" | Golden Skate

Messing in "hog heaven"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Keegan Messing skated determinedly to Charlie Chaplin in the free program to claim the silver medal with a total score of 259.25. He managed a quadruple toe loop and five triple jumps in his routine.

More...

“This is the closest I have been to crying in forever for anything,” the 25-year-old said after his performance in the free program. “I can’t even put it into words. I am just in hog heaven right now. I was trying to stay strong, take one thing at a time. I was kind of in the middle between skate it like a show all out and skate it like a long program and conserve energy and take it one step at a time and just fight. After that first quad, it really just sparked something inside of me and I fought for every step, every position. I don’t think I fought this hard for a long program in my life.”

While not sure he's staying for another Olympics, he definitely wants to stick around for at least two more seasons. Thanks Keegers!!!!
:yahoo:

Last edited:

merrywidow

Record Breaker
Congratulations Keegan! You've worked hard over the years to get to the Olympics. Good Luck!

GGFan

Record Breaker
Keegan was this season's revelation for me :hap85:. So happy to see a late bloomer change the course of his career :clap:. Beautiful skating and wonderful sportsmanship :bow:

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
Keegan has earned my respect. His joining the Olympic team is a positive message to any youngsters aspiring to become Olympians. He deserves the ticket to Olympics. I'm so happy for him and at the same time feel relieved he is not Miner-ed (poor Ross) as several people concerned.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
I'm thrilled for Messing and glad that Skate Canada picked him for the team!

However, I'd caution to compare this to Ross Miner (as much as I'm heartbroken for him). Keegan has been performing well all season. In fact he has the highest season's best score of all the Canadian men -- even Patrick Chan, due to his poor performance at Skate Canada. In addition, none of the Canadian men, other than Chan, met the body of work criteria that would have overridden Messing's silver medal.

In any case, Messing earned this spot! Thrilled for him and his long-time fan, Tonichelle! :cheer:

Last edited:

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
Girdwood, AK must be so proud!

And I am so thrilled that Keegan is going to the Olympics. I've liked him since he was a junior, and was skating to things like the Incredible Hulk soundtrack.

He is such an entertainer, and has wonderful spins and entertaining footwork!

I was glad to read such long quotes from the top five guys! Thanks gsk8.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
HOPEFULLY our local news continues to follow him. They made a big deal last week that he was headed to Nationals (thanks to a little prompting via social media but someone... lol) so hopefully they actually kept tabs and will have an article about it soon.

beki

Medalist
I remember Keegan fondly from the Hulk days too. Always a talent, but fast and wild. Amazing how polished he’s become.

Tonichelle

Idita-Rock-n-Roll
Record Breaker
I remember Keegan fondly from the Hulk days too. Always a talent, but fast and wild. Amazing how polished he’s become.

amazing what a little support and encouragement from your skating federation can do. the USFSA once again made a bad decision that is now benefiting another federation. :no:

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
So happy for Keegan. He was such a crowd favorite at Sk Canada. He was like the Energizer Bunny in practices, and his enthusiasm was infectious! Can't wait to see him at the Olys!

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Tonichelle, we are indebted to you for introducing us to the wonders of Keegan (and so grateful he competed @ the Liberty Summer Competition for several years). I have some casual fs fan friends who ask about Keegan, so I share the news/Youtube videos with them. :hap10:

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
amazing what a little support and encouragement from your skating federation can do. the USFSA once again made a bad decision that is now benefiting another federation. :no:

How do you figure that? Keegan had plenty of chances he just couldn't cut it in a much deeper US field so he went to a place where he had less competition and made the most of it.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
So when Patrick retires, can he win Canadian Nationals 2019???

Maybe. Nam was much improved as well, and there are a lot of grown-up-looking Junior skaters who are improving fast.

---------------
I saw him live, and he is still lightning fast. It's much more evident in person than on video.