Your top 5 from Canadian nationals | Golden Skate

Your top 5 from Canadian nationals

rain

Record Breaker
Haven't seen this thread pop up yet, so here are mine:

1. Virtue and Moir everything. Sublime.
2. Seguin and Bilodeau FS
3. Discovering Firus/Soucisse - future Canadian champs, I'm calling it now
4. Weaver/Poje FD - I have never been a huge fan of this program, but this reminded me why I'm a fan of theirs and why they almost won worlds twice.
5. Patrick Chan FS - not perfect, but such beautiful, beautiful skating, showing why he's one of the all-time greats.

Honourable mentions:
Gabby Daleman skating like gangbusters in SP and LP.
Eladj Balde going out with a bang in both programs
Seguin and Bilodeau SP - I love this program
I/M's FS - I know there were mistakes, but I love them in this program so much.
Kaetlyn Osmond FS - This was her best interpretation of the music to date, and I love this program on her. I think she's fierce and regal in it. I hope to see it clean at Olympics.
Nam Nyugen rounding back into form

So many memorable moments

GGFan

Record Breaker
This is surprisingly difficult!! I'll give it a shot but there will be omissions. In no particular order:

1. Virtue/Moir everything: What a send off!! From their pattern, to their edges, to their ability to keep improving at this stage of their career I just want to say thank you! :love: It was a pleasure watching one of their last competitive performances. This comeback elevated the entire quad :bow:

2. Elladj FP: I enjoyed the short but the free was so inspired! He felt that music and gave every ounce of himself much like the wonderful artists he paid homage to :dance:. I was both excited and proud! :clap:

3. Patrick FP: He seemed more engaged than in the short so I was more moved. He was just flying from edge to edge on the ice and it was gorgeous :luv17:. He has left his mark on the sport.

4. Keegan SP & FP: Holy feet :yahoo: The footwork, characterization, and spins were just first rate. His choreography was classy and sophisticated. He deserved every piece of that Olympic spot. :hap93:

5. Stephen Gogolev's promise: The talent on this one!! :eeking: From the jump rotation, to his spins, to his carriage I fell hard for his skating. So excited to see him develop.

Honorable mentions: Liam's gorgeous LLL, Roman's positions and attention to detail, Gabby's badass skating, MT/M2 grabbing the bull by the horns and skating better than ever, S/B for having a moment and landing those gorgeous SBS jumps, S/F showing that they plan to be in the fight for podiums next quad, D/R for delivering two programs that can challenge for the podium, Drew Wolfe's back, G/P revamping their free and improving their short, Larkyn for making the team after that disastrous Skate Canada showing, and Nam for his improvements. The crazy part is that I probably left out some things.

Crossover

All Hail the Queen
Record Breaker
1. Elladj Baldé's two amazing programs
2. Patrick Chan - great mastery of SS and his smile in the FS
3. Kaitlyn Weaver / Andrew Poje FD
4. Keegan Messing winning the Olympic berth
5. Piper Gilles / Paul Poirier SD

Honorable mention;
6. Gabrielle Daleman FS
7. Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinano's FS
8. Tessa Virtue / Scott Moir FD
9. Carolane Soucisse/Shane Firus SD
10. Nicholas Nadeau's presence
11. Kevin Reynolds' unique styling and programs
12. Stephan Gogolev's immense talent on jumps
13. Roman Sadovsky's musicality and improved jumps
14. Julianne Seguin / Charlie Bilodeau - FS
15. Thankful for no controversies over the selection of the Olympic team.

s_parks

Record Breaker
1) V/M's everything, of course!
2) Balde's amazing performance in the fs
3) Chan's fs- great to see him happy, and beautiful skating
4) S/B's fs
5) Messing delivering in the fs and getting that 2nd spot

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
1. Agree with the OP, Tessa and Scott's everything is the only answer here - Wow, they are just so amazing, incredible, fantastic... I could keep going. Love both programs, but especially the changes to the FD. So lovely. And Scott's new costume is great too. Captains of the Olympic figure skating team, well deserved. I'm going to miss them so much.

2. Gabby's FS - she's been through a lot this year, and it was so nice to see her deliver so well here. Also love the changes to the SP and the new dress.

3. Elladj's two great skates, but especially the FS. So nice for him to skate so well at his last Nationals. Such a great performer.

4. Julianne and Charlie's FS - lovely, great to see them skate so well

5. Kaitlyn and Andrew's FD - nice redemption after that SD, great to see their reactions

Honourable mentions:

Nic Nadeau - so much fun to watch, even when the jumps aren't all working
Walsh/Michaud skated great at their first senior Nats - I never felt nervous watching them
Soucisse/Firus were lovely, as were Lajoie/Lagha in juniors

Only FIVE? Can't do that…more like 25. But here’s what immediately comes to mind without taking a typing break.

1. Elladj Balde SP & FP – absolutely 2 stunning programs that’ll be cemented in my grey matter forever.
2. Virtue/Moir everything – fire and sublime all in one
3. Patrick Chan FP – not perfection, but pure excellence
4. Keegan Messing FP – my Happy Feet, and Olympian!
5. Gabrielle Daleman FP – perfect performance for a perfect 20[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday
6. Seguin/Bilodeau FP – after a rough year, they brought it this week
7. Piper/Gilles SD – shook their booties
8. Stephen Gogolov FP – a real wonderkid
9. Liam Firus anything – the best solo-dancer out there
10. Joseph Phan FP – young, good, shows a promising future
11. No controversies - ergo, not nearly as hard on the ticker as US Nationals was!
12. Reading all your wit and analysis on GS!

Coming up for air...I know I’ve missed mention of lots… :p

jillredhand

Record Breaker
1. Elladj Balde
2. Elladj Balde
3. Elladj Balde
4. Elladj Balde
5. Elladj Balde

/thread

Edit: Okay, but really:

1. Elladj Balde. Just... all of him. I cried buckets over his SP and FS, I'm just so happy that after last year's dissapointments and this year's health struggles, he was able to put that brilliant show on for his swan song.

2. Gabrielle Daleman. Two perfect(ish) programs, to clinch a national title and on her birthday too! The only way I could have been happier with her showing was if she'd thrown the 4T in... well, at least there's still something to look forward to.

3. Tessa and Scott's Moulin Rouge. I loved the revamped program, and they're so insanely good I don't even care if the perfect score was nationals inflation or not. It was a magical moment.

4. Keegan Messing goes to the Olympics! So excited and happy for him. I like to see a skater who's not necessarily the favourite or shoe-in earn a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by laying it all out on the ice and deserving the placement.

5. Seguin/Bilodeau silver. They're my favourite Canadian pair, and after their troubles the past couple seasons, I loved to see them skate clean and earn their place on the team. I had been so worried that they might be edged out by I/M and MT/M, but I'm so happy to see them going to the Olympics.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
1)Seguin/Bilodeau FP - That LP is a dream, it's so good !

2)Patrick Chan SP - it's so good even with mistakes, again the construction, the music, the skating skills. Unmatched.

3)Virtue/Moir SD - It's absolutely electric, hope they bring that state of performance in Korea !

4)Weaver/Poje FD - Like watching a classic, it does not age. And redemption !

5)Gabrielle Daleman LP - Way to go to the Games !

VERY honorable mention : Piper's tear of joy for their 2nd place, Soucisse/Firus who showed that they are ready to takeover after the veterans are gone, Tracy Wilson absolute Canadian excitement over everyone, a no-controversy type of week and logical choices for the Olympic Team, and the Team spirit of Canadian skaters. I might criticize the commentators for being too much, the skaters REALLY look like a proper united team. :agree:

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1) V/M - if they skate with confidence and command like they did here in Korea, they have a great shot at beating P/C. I really liked the improvements to "Moulin Rouge" and glad they made then go out with a bang, rather than a whimper. (Still, I could do with never having to hear "Come What May" or "El Tango de Roxanne" again after the Olympics.)
2) D/R FS - I really like that they returned to "Hometown Glory." I have special memories of seeing them win the Gold at Boston Worlds two years ago with this song, so I'm glad they brought it back.
3) Patrick Chan - ignoring the jump errors and the lack of a 3A, nobody commands the edge of his blade like Patrick. Will miss him when he retires.
4) Gabby Daleman - bless her for having the best skates while skating with pneumonia! I'm glad she brought back "Rhapsody in Blue" since I never got into her Gladiator program.
5) G/P getting silver here. After being under marked forever, they were able to take advantage of W/P mistakes.

Honorable mention to Keegan Messing's FS and Ellaj Balde going out on a high note. Also, W/P's bounce back in the FD. So many Canadians at the top retiring this year, so next season will look very different.

rain

Record Breaker
9. Liam Firus anything – the best solo-dancer out there

Coming up for air...I know I’ve missed mention of lots… :p

Seriously, when I see him I wonder if it's not too late for him to find a dance partner and compete against his brother for the Canadian title for many years to come. In pure skating skills he is second only to Patrick Chan.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
1. Eliadj Balde! Wow.. I was smiling so broadly I'm surprised my face didn't split.
2. Julianne and Charlie made me feel warm and fuzzy inside.
3. Gabby gutting it out and winning. Good for her.
4. V/M's new ending to MR. Much improved in my opinion
5. Nam and Keegan both made me happy for different reasons.

mommytoljf

Rinkside
I am basing my response on the skaters I watched multiple times today. You’ll also notice that I have a soft spot for people who have faced adversity in my responses.

1. Elladj Balde (both programs) - I could watch both of his programs over and over again! I am delighted for him that he had two programs that showed exactly why his skating is loved by so many. He will be missed!

2. Keegan Messing (free) - he set his sights on competing for Canada and making the Olympic team, and he did it! Right before one of the most important programs of his life, he cared enough to congratulate Bruno Marcotte and Elladj Balde on an incredible performance. His program was non-stop action with plenty of technical content and audience engagement. I was so pleased to see him skate as well as he did.

3. Kirsten Moore-Towers/Michael Marinaro (free) - it took this team a long time to come together, and so many people in the skating world doubted them. I really enjoyed Kirsten and Dylan, but she has become a wonderful performer. Michael has improved so much as well. Their program had me in tears because they performed beautifully exactly when they needed to. While my heart broke for Dylan and Lubov, Kirsten and Michael convincingly earned their Olympic spot.

4. Patrick Chan (free) - his smile and ease were back for the first time in years. The heaviness I felt in the short was not there. I finally felt like he wants to compete again, and I think he believes I himself as well.

5. Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir (free) - wow! I have never seen them perform that program better. When a team has been so proficient for many years, it is harder to impress the audience. They improved the last half of the program, and I believe they have a real chance to beat P/C. I didn’t want this beautiful program to end because it was joyful, precise and inspiring.

There were so many other wonderful moments, but these are the ones I keep watching a day after.

randomsplashes

Rinkside
1) Tessa and Scott's SD + FD: Both were perfection. I got to see the FD changes for the first time and man...I got chills.
2) Charlie and Julianne's FP: they are such a promising young team and this FP highlights all their strengths and their connection. Loved it!
3) Patrick Chan's FP: I felt we were seeing the old Patrick back. I'm glad he hasn't lost his competitive spirit.
4) Gabby Daleman's FP: I'm so happy she brought this back. It's one of my favorite ladies' program.
5) Elijah Balde's FP: it's a shame that this will probably be the last time we'll see him at Nationals but his FP is simply awesome. He just knows how to engage with the crowd!

Honorable Mentions: Weaver/Poje's FD, Soucisse/Firus's FD, Osmond's SP

Scrufflet

Final Flight
All of you have made such good choices. The skaters really brought it.
I feel that I must mention how fine the commentators were. Brian Williams is always fantastic with intro. And as for Rod (Mr. Enthusiasm) Black, I welcome his positivity and excitement. He is well-balanced by Traci, one of the best ever. She is professional, fair, well-spoken and encouraging. We encounter so much snark online; I want to feel buoyed up when I watch skating. She must be a fabulous coach; she sure has taught a lot of us how to be fans over the years. She's a national treasure!

Ice Diva

On the Ice
Haven't seen this thread pop up yet, so here are mine:

1. Virtue and Moir everything. Sublime.
2. Seguin and Bilodeau FS
3. Discovering Firus/Soucisse - future Canadian champs, I'm calling it now
4. Weaver/Poje FD - I have never been a huge fan of this program, but this reminded me why I'm a fan of theirs and why they almost won worlds twice.
5. Patrick Chan FS - not perfect, but such beautiful, beautiful skating, showing why he's one of the all-time greats.

Honourable mentions:
Gabby Daleman skating like gangbusters in SP and LP.
Eladj Balde going out with a bang in both programs
Seguin and Bilodeau SP - I love this program
I/M's FS - I know there were mistakes, but I love them in this program so much.
Kaetlyn Osmond FS - This was her best interpretation of the music to date, and I love this program on her. I think she's fierce and regal in it. I hope to see it clean at Olympics.
Nam Nyugen rounding back into form

So many memorable moments

I agree with everything you've said! And being there, rinkside and watching them live was amazing - especially Virtue and Moir.:love: Just returned from the Gala and oh what a show. The arena was packed, the crowd lively & appreciative. Eladj, of course, brought the house down.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
I was there on friday for all the shorts (missed the first few skaters before sarah due to traffic).

1. Virtue/Moir all.
2. Seguin/Bilodeau FS
3. Elijah Blade SP (on my side - behind the judges) in the middle, the standing ovation started when he was almost done his second to last spin, since everyone was already standing up. I don't think the dailymotion stream did it justice with the muting of the audience, and the camera angle.
4. Gabby all.
5. Piper&Paul SD

Honourable Mention:
~ Duhamel/Radford all
~ Patrick Chan FS
~ Kaetlyn Osmond all
~ Stephen Gogolev all (so much potential at his first senior nationals)
~ Weaver/Poje FD

Sabrina

Record Breaker
1 Elladj Lp WOW
2. Aurora LP and great leap from 14 to 5
3. Nam LP awesome La Strada
4. Keegan LP
5 Seguin/Bilodeau LP

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
1. Elladj Balde
2. Elladj Balde
3. Elladj Balde
4. Elladj Balde
5. Elladj Balde

/thread

Great taste! I swear I looked at this thread and thought to myself, I will write

1. to 5. Elladj Baldé

That is all.:cool:

But you beat me to it:laugh:

geoskate

On the Ice
My top five are mostly from novice and juniors (wonderful livestream and archives, by the way):

1. All the of the novice women medalists, for different reasons - Amelia Orzel, because of her power and obvious determination; Daria Carr, because of the sophistication of and great performance of her choreography, and Sandrine Bouchard, because of her elegance.
2. Emma Bulawka (6th in junior women) - this girl has superb presentation skills. She's only 14 years old; if she gets her jumps in the next two or three years, she will be a force to be reckoned with.
3. All three of the pairs in the first group of seniors, none of whom were shown on TSN/CTV but all of whom were very worthy of being shown. They'll get their exposure at 4CC and Junior worlds, though. I love how quickly these teams are improving. I have a special love for Camille Ruest/Drew Wolfe, who skate so beautifully. They need their triple twist, though.
4. Joseph Phan in both programs. I've been a fan of his for two years already; it's nice to see him adding difficulty and being remarkably consistent while doing it.
5. Weaver/Poje's free dance performance.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My five favorites

1. Gabby Daleman Fs and surviving pneumonia
2. Weaver and Poje FD -coming back
3. Virtue and Moir - FD - maybe there is hope for OGM?
4. Seguin and Bilodeau - they did it when it counted
5. Patrick Chan FS - again showing a glimmer of hope andstill 10 national titles is amazing.