2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships | Page 12 | Golden Skate

2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships

Carolla5501

On the Ice
For anyone flying today to DTW please check your flights. At last check the airport had been closed for 12 hours, opening is unknown...… I am sure there are some Senior level skaters biting their nails!

beachmouse

On the Ice
Reports on FlyerTalk is that DTW operations are slowly returning to normal but I suspect flight schedules are jumbled enough that the delays will continue and some folks may end up rebooking into Flint/Lansing/Toledo and picking up rental cars there. Fortunately the major US airlines are typically pretty easy to work with during bad weather events and some like Delta will even let you rebook using their app so you don't have to wait out the customer service desk or phone service queue

ice coverage

Record Breaker
The free skating show this evening (Wed 5:30 pm) at Campus Martius Park will be an opportunity to see the new partnership of Yura Min and Daniel Eaton. The event is organized by Scott Hamilton's foundation to eliminate cancer.

I was happy to discover that Daniel's parents both are volunteering at Nats for USFS. Both very warm and friendly. I have enjoyed chatting with them about a million things (including non-skating things), but they also were happy to answer my questions about Daniel. Daniel and Yura are excited about tonight's opportunity to perform for an audience again.

Also skating in the show: Alissa Czisny, Jeremy Abbott, Yuka Sato.

BTW, Alissa Czisny happened to be the announcer in the practice rink on Monday for junior ladies and junior men. :)
(Without any fanfare. I kept thinking that the announcer looked a lot like Alissa, but wondered whether maybe it was Amber (whom I also would have been tickled to see). Someone more knowledgeable later told me that it indeed was Alissa.)

TrishaG

Rinkside
Hi! This will be my first time attending Nationals and I'm super excited! I have a question about the Opening Ceremony. What is it like? There's a good size break after it before the ladies free skate actually starts and I'll need to leave work early to get to the arena with enough to park, etc, to see it. It's listed as only being 20 minutes long. If it's cool and worth seeing, I'll make the effort. But if it is just some speeches from boring people, then I'll save my vacation time and will just get to the arena before the skating starts. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated [emoji4]

ckred

Spectator
Hi guys! Selling two extra tix to Friday RD. Section 108/row 16. (This is the officials side.) Asking for $45/ticket (I paid $55 + fees). Feel free to dm me!

Carolla5501

On the Ice
Hi! This will be my first time attending Nationals and I'm super excited! I have a question about the Opening Ceremony. What is it like? There's a good size break after it before the ladies free skate actually starts and I'll need to leave work early to get to the arena with enough to park, etc, to see it. It's listed as only being 20 minutes long. If it's cool and worth seeing, I'll make the effort. But if it is just some speeches from boring people, then I'll save my vacation time and will just get to the arena before the skating starts. Any info or insight would be greatly appreciated [emoji4]

Really depends... but personally I would save your vacation time.

Sometimes it's GREAT (Greensboro actually does a good job) and sometimes it's HORRID (one city did just have people read speeches... I have blocked out who)

There is a significant break between the ceremony and the actual skating, the color coded schedule says the "resurface/hold" will take from 6:50 to 7:23. NBC isn't going live until 8 so.....it could be a longer hold (I am not sure how current my version is)

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
When I arrive at little Caesars Arena ( I’m taking Uber) where do I enter , please, to get to the ice arena? Is the entrance called anything special?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Oh my lord, yall. Somehow on top of missing my train this am and getting into Detroit at midnight instead of 7:00, I somehow bought 2 tickets to the ladies short (do not need any) and did not buy tickets to the Championship pairs. Any suggestions? I shouldn't be allowed to plan anything.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
When I arrive at little Caesars Arena ( I’m taking Uber) where do I enter , please, to get to the ice arena? Is the entrance called anything special?

I don't know but if I get there before you do I will post it here.

TrishaG

Rinkside
Really depends... but personally I would save your vacation time.

Sometimes it's GREAT (Greensboro actually does a good job) and sometimes it's HORRID (one city did just have people read speeches... I have blocked out who)

There is a significant break between the ceremony and the actual skating, the color coded schedule says the "resurface/hold" will take from 6:50 to 7:23. NBC isn't going live until 8 so.....it could be a longer hold (I am not sure how current my version is)
Thanks! What makes Greensboro's so good, out of curiosity?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I want to get to Little Caesars Arena early to make sure I miss rush hour traffic. Are there restaurants inside in which to eat and wait?

cornelussen

Rinkside
Hey, you guys. Do you have any ideas how I could watch the US Championships live? I live in Europe and I don't have access to NBCSN and tried multiple links but nothing would work. Could you please give me a hand? Thank you [emoji847].

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For the junior pairs we had to enter through the Meyer street entrance but I’m told all entrances are now open except the one for credentials (sorry I don’t know which one that is). Probably be easiest to go to the main entrance.