2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships | Golden Skate

2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships

MFarone

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Just thought I would put some info here in a thread about 2019 U. S. Figure Skating Championships in Detroit Michigan. Competition is scheduled for January 19 to January 27, 2019. From what USFS announced the main competition including Jr. free skates and all Championship (Senior) level events will take place at the new Little Caesar's arena in downtown Detroit. Lower level events and Jr. short programs will be held at the Detroit Skating Club which is about 25 miles north/northwest of Detroit in Bloomfield Hills, Michigan.

Generally this year at Nationals you would find a table for information about the next year's event. That was not the case in San Jose....no info was available for Detroit.

A friend called the Detroit Sports Commission to ask about tickets for 2019 Nationals and was told tickets would go on sale in February. No info is available about a website.

I've been checking google everyday :laugh: to see if Detroit has created a website and will post anything I find.

macy

Record Breaker
I am so elated nationals is coming back near the great lakes. I am from Michigan so I was able to attend in 2009 in Cleveland but I haven't been able to afford to travel farther than that, so this is so exciting for me. i'll definitely be attending for championship weekend. :hap10:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
9 hours from me, not as close as Kansas City but doable!

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Hmmm. I will need to buy a very thick jacket for Detroit in January, I think.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We plan on going. My husband is suggesting driving from Philly instead of flying, hmmm. Driving to Detroit in the dead of winter ... ?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
We plan on going. MY husband is suggesting driving from Philly instead of flying, hmmm. Driving to Detroit in the dead of winter ... ?

I'm driving. i don't fly. We drove to Boston for worlds, were very lucky with the weather the whole time we were there, then had a snowstorm the day we were to leave.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
^ We took the train from Philly to Boston for 2014 US Nationals & 2016 Worlds. It was a pleasure to do it that way! I do remember the snowstorm the day we left, plus some Amtrak delays, but it worked out very well, over all. There was NO way we would driving from Philly to Boston (traffic + parking, OMG)!

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hmmm. I will need to buy a very thick jacket for Detroit in January, I think.

:) Not sure if you're serious ... but I'll say this for your benefit and anyone else who thinks about coming.

Thermal underwear is better, in my opinion, and way cheaper. It doesn't have to be thick.

My uncle, who lived in the southern tip of Texas, was excited to visit us in Michigan's UP (quite a bit farther north than Detroit). I'd read that wearing several thin layers was actually better than a big coat, so I advised that, since he didn't want to buy a big coat. He was 85, spry, took winter snow walks with the kids, and did everything, wearing a t-shirt, shirt and pants, pull-over sweater, lightweight jacket, hat, gloves and small scarf. He did great and swore he didn't get too cold. (Not sure if he went with long thermal underwear; I didn't ask!)

I've been following my own advice this winter. Despite that we're experiencing arctic temperatures, lots of snow, and Great Lakes wind in west Michigan, I've almost entirely shunned my heavy coat. Wearing shirt, sweater, pants, light cashmere socks, Reebok ankle boots (good for walking, and warm), knitted hat, gloves and a fleece-lined lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood (for wind protection), I have fared amazingly well. Sometimes I add a scarf. Haven't even resorted to thermal underwear yet.

FWIW. :)

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
:) Not sure if you're serious ... but I'll say this for your benefit and anyone else who thinks about coming.

Thermal underwear is better, in my opinion, and way cheaper. It doesn't have to be thick.

*taking notes* I could probably fit it in my suitcase better too.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Probably going to pass on this. I loved going to San Jose and escaping the deep freeze but I think going from one deep freeze (NY) to a deeper freeze (Detroit) is not something I'm looking forward to.

If I have the budget, may try for the GPF in Vancouver the month before!

Sasha'sSpins

Medalist
Country
United-States

My uncle, who lived in the southern tip of Texas, was excited to visit us in Michigan's UP (quite a bit farther north than Detroit). I'd read that wearing several thin layers was actually better than a big coat, so I advised that, since he didn't want to buy a big coat. He was 85, spry, took winter snow walks with the kids, and did everything, wearing a t-shirt, shirt and pants, pull-over sweater, lightweight jacket, hat, gloves and small scarf. He did great and swore he didn't get too cold. (Not sure if he went with long thermal underwear; I didn't ask!)

I've been following my own advice this winter. Despite that we're experiencing arctic temperatures, lots of snow, and Great Lakes wind in west Michigan, I've almost entirely shunned my heavy coat. Wearing shirt, sweater, pants, light cashmere socks, Reebok ankle boots (good for walking, and warm), knitted hat, gloves and a fleece-lined lightweight waterproof jacket with a hood (for wind protection), I have fared amazingly well. Sometimes I add a scarf. Haven't even resorted to thermal underwear yet.

What does 'UP' stand for? Upper Peninsula?? :biggrin:

I'm staying with my parents in Orlando and lately we've been dressing in layers due to the schizo weather we've been having! Freezing cold in the morning, warm in the afternoon, freezing again at night or some combination there of LOL! Speaking of Orlando - wish Nationals would be held here some time! The weather in January is up and down but no sub zero temperatures!

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

You’re a Yooper?! :) I had a good work friend whose father was from Rockland and actually moved back while in his 70s after his wife passed away. I can’t imagine *moving* back to the UP after experiencing the tropical climes of DC, even for pasties, but that’s what he did:biggrin:

Detroit is way more appealing to me than other cities, if only because my small airport actually has a direct flight, more than one direct flight, there. I don’t need warm if a 10 hour trip;). Of course, my backyard would have been more appealing, but alas....:laugh:

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Who's a what? :laugh:

Sorry, too much “insider” talk.:biggrin: The Upper Peninsula of Michigan is abbreviated U.P. So if you say say UP really fast as two letters, in American English, “yoop”. And Yooper.

It does sound like an insult if you don’t know: that skate, what a Yooper:laugh: