North and South Korea to march together | Golden Skate

North and South Korea to march together

breadstal

Record Breaker
North and South Korea have confirmed they are to field a joint women’s ice hockey team and will march under a pro-unification flag at next month’s Winter Olympics, in the clearest sign yet of a thaw in tensions between the two countries.

Reports said the delegation would probably walk across the demilitarised zone, the heavily armed border separating the two Koreas, in a highly symbolic move.
“Inter-Korean relations have been strained for almost 10 years,” the North’s chief delegate, Jon Jong-su, said as the Panmunjom meeting started. “We hope that ties can open,” he added.

Pyongyang and Seoul must work out how the North Korean delegation – which could comprise up to 500 athletes, cheerleaders, musicians, officials and journalists – will cross the border into South Korea, and who will pay for their accommodation and other costs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-cheerleaders-to-winter-olympics-peace-games

millie

Medalist
The world can breath a sigh of relief. With all the turmoil between the US and North Korea and the threat of war, this Olympics will bring us closer to peace. I am happy that South Korea and North Korea are joining together to make an Olympic team..good for them..

icybear

Medalist
Good to see sport breaking down poltical conflict. Hope all goes ahead and well. Clearly shows that the two Koreas want to end this pointless conflict and are clearly being pulled by the strings from some other megapower country

Kittosuni

Medalist
A lot of South Koreans are not happy about it. Even athletes are very vocal about it. Its going to be interesting.

Manitou

Medalist
Knowing the North mentality it looks more like a IOC propaganda show benefiting Kim. But it looks good on Western TV. Just like holding hands together or singing peace songs.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Good to see sport breaking down poltical conflict. Hope all goes ahead and well. Clearly shows that the two Koreas want to end this pointless conflict and are clearly being pulled by the strings from some other megapower country

Yes, I am breathless with anticipation of the Kim regime abandoning power and offering political and economic freedom to its millions of starving citizens.

And, just think! We'll look back and say, "it's all because of a women's hockey team and bands of roving cheerleaders."

Kum ba yah.

b-man

Final Flight
Yes, I am breathless with anticipation of the Kim regime abandoning power and offering political and economic freedom to its millions of starving citizens.

And, just think! We'll look back and say, "it's all because of a women's hockey team and bands of roving cheerleaders."

Kum ba yah.

Never happen. And if those North Korean athletes would happen to get a glimpse of Seoul, half would defect.

icybear

Medalist

Kum ba yah.

Nobody said this is going to change politics but cant people leave politics aside from sport. Also why would an American like you care about whether the North Korean people are starving or obese?

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Nobody said this is going to change politics but cant people leave politics aside from sport. Also why would an American like you care about whether the North Korean people are starving or obese?

Why would I care that people are starving? Are you serious?

Can't leave politics out of sport? This whole process has been all about politics. It's already been discussed on another thread, but many IOC rules have been already been bent or broken in pursuit of this political deal. This is true, whether you believe this is a favorable turn of events or not.

TontoK

Hot Tonto
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Never happen. And if those North Korean athletes would happen to get a glimpse of Seoul, half would defect.

It is a very hard decision for someone from the North to defect, because punishment is administered harshly to family members who remain in DPRK. It's a brutal regime.

From what I've read of competitions outside the country, the athletes are kept under very tight surveillance.

icybear

Medalist
Why would I care that people are starving? Are you serious?

Can't leave politics out of sport? This whole process has been all about politics. It's already been discussed on another thread, but many IOC rules have been already been bent or broken in pursuit of this political deal. This is true, whether you believe this is a favorable turn of events or not.

Because you have genuine care and concern for these people? Lol! Besides a lot of what you believe is true are from CNN or some American gov new outlet which are exaggerated for political reasons to vilify the country

Because you have genuine care and concern for these people?

That is what TontoK is saying with his rhetorical question. He is saying, "Of course I and everyone around the globe have genuine care and concern; how can such a question even be asked?."

Last edited:
Knowing the North mentality it looks more like a IOC propaganda show benefiting Kim. But it looks good on Western TV...

On the contrary, all the Western TV that I have seen says that this cooperation between the two Koreas makes America look ike a fool, that America is standing impotently by while North Korea drives a wedge between the U.S. and South Korea.

b-man

Final Flight
It is a very hard decision for someone from the North to defect, because punishment is administered harshly to family members who remain in DPRK. It's a brutal regime.

From what I've read of competitions outside the country, the athletes are kept under very tight surveillance.

Yes, if someone defects, their family often goes to a concentration camps, and I am sure the north Korean athletes won't get anywhere near Seoul.

millie

Medalist
On the contrary, all the Western TV that I have seen says that this cooperation between the two Koreas makes America look ike a fool, that America is standing impotently by while North Korea drives a wedge between the U.S. and South Korea.

Kum ba yah.

You know WHO tweeted that he is responsible for North and South Korea talks. So happy that the Koreas did this without him. I can breath a sigh of relief knowing that there will be peace for now. Please keep talking.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Not sure what this has to do with skating but wow,I really it is more than symbolism of hope, peace and tolerance. Maybe North Korea and South Korea could form a single dance or pairs team and they could skate to Peace On Earth or We are the World though to be safe it should be the short dance or short program.

OS

Sedated by Modonium
Record Breaker
North and South Korea have confirmed they are to field a joint women’s ice hockey team and will march under a pro-unification flag at next month’s Winter Olympics, in the clearest sign yet of a thaw in tensions between the two countries.

Reports said the delegation would probably walk across the demilitarised zone, the heavily armed border separating the two Koreas, in a highly symbolic move.
“Inter-Korean relations have been strained for almost 10 years,” the North’s chief delegate, Jon Jong-su, said as the Panmunjom meeting started. “We hope that ties can open,” he added.

Pyongyang and Seoul must work out how the North Korean delegation – which could comprise up to 500 athletes, cheerleaders, musicians, officials and journalists – will cross the border into South Korea, and who will pay for their accommodation and other costs.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...d-cheerleaders-to-winter-olympics-peace-games

Amazing!! I had dreamed the possibility Yuna can help to reunite Korea even symbolically on some part to create change to attitudes through sheer excellence. Her black track suit used to read Korea, rather than South Korea. Able to bring the winter Olympics home is already a beautiful start... Lets hope the politicians do they job and don't squander this great opportunities, even after the Olympics.