Inappropriate music in skating | Golden Skate

Inappropriate music in skating

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I was enjoying the Ladies short programmes in Europeans last week but one section of music stood out for the wrong reason. Pernille Sorensen used a section of Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll during her short. I mean, really?!?!?!?! I can't believe that nobody realised along the way that this was perhaps a deeply inappropriate musical choice.

What other music choices can anyone think of that stand out as inappropriate, either from the point of view of being by a discredited artist or the subject matter of the music perhaps etc?

Edit: Much to my surprise, some people have questioned why Gary Glitter is an inappropriate music choice, so to put it into context, here's a link to a BBC news article with details of his conviction on multiple counts of sex offences including attempted rape, sexual assault and sex with a child under 13. I think that very much makes him an inappropriate musical choice.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-31657929

VenusHalley

Final Flight
The 13 year old Russian hopefully skating to big spender during Gala.

Even that Candyman song.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
Candyman's not so bad because at least the sexual relationship depicted in the song is between consenting adults and the skaters doing it are adults.

Trusova doing Big Spender on the other hand is gross. I also took some issues with Torgashev doing Roxanne at 16. And let's not even get started on Laurine's "Daddy" FS.

Oh, and I had massive problems with Samohin's "Delilah". The guy in the song literally kills his girlfriend because he suspects she might be seeing someone else. Actually, come to think of it, the song doesn't even specify that she was the guy's girlfriend. He just claims her. Oy, Samohin, oy.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
The worst one this season would IMO be that My heart belongs to daddy-abomination by Lecavalier.

Trusova's really isn't very appropriate either. I get it's probably difficult to understand the meaning if you're not speaking English at a very high level but even so... The atmosphere of the choreo doesn't exactly help.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Starr Andrews (whom I really like) skating to "Fever" for her short program this season. A little too young to portray that emotion?

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
The worst one this season would IMO be that My heart belongs to daddy-abomination by Lecavalier.

Double that. That was just plain disturbing and I am not easily disturbed. :rolleye:

I have mixed feelings about it, but I probably wouldn't say T/M's Candyman is inappropriate per se (albeit they have some rather bad censoring choices, especially for the French phrases). This program is more just plain bad than inappropriate. :laugh:

NicolettaL

Final Flight
Two of this season are obviously Laurine belonging to Daddy, and Trusova "don't popping her cork for every guy she sees". Also our Ela Gabryszak has it for the SP but she's 18 so it's a little bit easier to swallow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Oh yes, forgot to actually answer. The thing about Sasha Trusova using Big Spender is that often lyrics and meaning completely escape people from other languages and cultures. It's usually just a surface understanding and in general, music. I often think if other coaches should perhaps gently nudge the coach of the athlete and go see, this might be a tad awkward but just doing that might also be strange?
And of course, say take BICO, native speakers argue about it, so I can imagine how confusing it can get for some things.

Basically I give a pass to all non-native speakers when it comes to music choices in English, or all other languages that aren't their own. I head-desk but I give it a pass.

I do question things like Laurine more because her coach should have known better.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I love Trusova’s big spender program but unlike y’all I just imagine a cute young girl going to the candy store with a cute young boy and she wants and gets him to buy her apple juice champagne and other candies. Ya know...innocent young teenage date/love. Her interpretation is very tame and doesn’t suggest anything different to me. Girls her age are exposed to and consume much more inappropriate stuff than music like big spender and personally I see nothing inappriate in her performance. Have you seen the video for Side to Side by Arianna Grande?? :shocked:

Has anyone ever skated Mack the Knife and interpreted it literally? Would that be inappropriate? How about Moulin Rouge? Is it inappropriate to perform such music in a sport where the skaters are role models to very young girls?

Hevari

Drivers start your engines!
On the Ice
I was enjoying the Ladies short programmes in Europeans last week but one section of music stood out for the wrong reason. Pernille Sorensen used a section of Gary Glitter's Rock and Roll during her short. I mean, really?!?!?!?! I can't believe that nobody realised along the way that this was perhaps a deeply inappropriate musical choice.

What other music choices can anyone think of that stand out as inappropriate, either from the point of view of being by a discredited artist or the subject matter of the music perhaps etc?

What's wrong with Gary Glitter? Why do you thing that his music is inappropriate?

lappo

Final Flight
I love Polina T. but I never liked her exhibition program to "I put a spell on you" back in 2016.

Manitou

Medalist
What's wrong with Gary Glitter? Why do you thing that his music is inappropriate?

I don't know either. Plus, those kids don't even know and don't care about the song's context. They go after musical values, whatever suits their skating.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

He was molesting little kids for many many years! He’s a very yucky individual :roll5:

pearly

Record Breaker
The 13 year old Russian hopefully skating to big spender during Gala.

Even that Candyman song.

Big Spender is sung by taxi dancers in Sweet Charity, which only makes it a little better than what I originally thought (prostitutes). Still inappropriate for a kid.

As for Candyman - the fact you end up censoring a song should be a sign enough that it's not really the wisest choice.

Candyman's not so bad because at least the sexual relationship depicted in the song is between consenting adults and the skaters doing it are adults.

Trusova doing Big Spender on the other hand is gross. I also took some issues with Torgashev doing Roxanne at 16. And let's not even get started on Laurine's "Daddy" FS.

Oh, and I had massive problems with Samohin's "Delilah". The guy in the song literally kills his girlfriend because he suspects she might be seeing someone else. Actually, come to think of it, the song doesn't even specify that she was the guy's girlfriend. He just claims her. Oy, Samohin, oy.

Yes. I completely agree. That haunted me for months.

And of course, say take BICO, native speakers argue about it, so I can imagine how confusing it can get for some things.

Basically I give a pass to all non-native speakers when it comes to music choices in English, or all other languages that aren't their own. I head-desk but I give it a pass.

I do question things like Laurine more because her coach should have known better.

What's BICO? :runs through the rolodex of warhorses in her head:
I give no passes when it comes to inappropriate music or lyrics in figure skating. Do your homework.

ray94611

Rinkside
I'd like to know what other people think about skaters using religious music? I know Ave Maria is popular. I also heard the Magnificat and Amazing Grace this year. It seems to me that these choices are just as bad, just in the opposite direction. Plus, taking a spill in the middle really looks bad.