A little Four Conts 2019 info | Page 7 | Golden Skate

A little Four Conts 2019 info

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I received a prompt and long reply from Ticketmaster in response to my inquiry regarding Service Fees. It's obviously a canned response and addresses all fees so I'll only show the Service Fee portion. It's non-committal bs and bottom line is that the Service fee is set and shared by Ticketmaster and the client. Since the fees are so egregious and seemingly unprecedented, I'll place blame on the event OC.

"Service Fee and Order Processing Fee
There is usually a service fee per-ticket and an order processing fee per-order that varies by event. (The order processing fee is not usually charged on retail outlet and box office purchases.) To the extent we charge a service fee and/or an order processing fee, we and our clients typically set and share the fee"

Thank you. But I wonder who the client is? Since Honda jacked up the price of a B ball ticket, I have to wonder if it is not the Honda Arena who is the client????
One would think there is someone out there who knows the financial ins and outs of this event. Is there an LOC or is it just the arena who contracted with ISU and/or USFS?
A most secretive sport.
"we and our clients typically set and share the fee" ...boy, thats a statement that can be argued over till the cows come home.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Yeah I’m thinking this too, but the choices for GPF tickets are so limited at this point. I do have hotel reservations in Vancouver.

Are there legal secondary markets for Canadian events where you could get an acceptible seat? I am not knocking Russian Ladies but I wonder how diverse the GPF and JGPF will be?
At least at 4CCs there will be some diversity for ladies.

nguyhm

On the Ice
Could you fly into Seattle and then drive over the border?
I thought about doing that and will be looking into renting a car. With a car I would have some flexibilities on lodging - more affordable I hope so it might work out better in the end.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I thought about doing that and will be looking into renting a car. With a car I would have some flexibilities on lodging - more affordable I hope so it might work out better in the end.

Very true. You could drive from Seatac (I suspect flights into Bellingham would be more expensive) and drive to the border, pick an easy crossing time, and then have a car to go to small lodgings with cheep/free parking.
You would of course have to pay for parking at the arena or is it free? You would then avoid expensive ground transportation from the Vancouver airport to a hotel, etc etc.

You have to steel yourself for the drive from Seatac to Vancouver. Certain lanes of the I5/405 corridor are "pay to play" so if you wander into one it will generate a bill to the rental car company who will charge you. Picking the correct time
for the drive will help but it is always busy. If you are a savy traveler you know about asking the rental car company about travel to a different country as well as asking your insurance company about the same thing.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Parking at the Thunderbird arena is not free. I believe it's $15/day walk-up fee (unattended, have to use credit card), but it's cheaper if you buy online. There was an all-event parking pass for Nationals (I got an email about it) that was about $30 for the whole event (except Sunday night).

By the way, I just talked to Triumf house and they are fully booked - I got on their waiting list. West Coast Suites is sold out for all except first and last nights and is mucho dollars.

Added: Carey Centre is also full per their website.

Oreo

On the Ice
I bought a ticket at the box office window for SOI at the Honda Center in Anaheim last month. There was a nuisance “service fee” added to the cost of the ticket—$4 on a $25 ticket—still way cheaper than Ticket Master, although I couldn’t figure out what on earth the 16% “service” was for. Gratuities for the bag checkers who were so slow I missed the first two acts? The ushers who didn’t do anything?

For those who are looking for inexpensive places to stay, be aware that cheaper motels around the Disneyland area are often used to house the homeless. If nobody’s against the idea of renting a car and don’t mind walking a bit, you can park down Katella a ways (on the side streets) for free or next to nothing. Honda Center charges a ton for parking. I’ve always felt safe doing that.

beebee51

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Parking at the Thunderbird arena is not free. I believe it's $15/day walk-up fee (unattended, have to use credit card), but it's cheaper if you buy online. There was an all-event parking pass for Nationals (I got an email about it) that was about $30 for the whole event (except Sunday night).

By the way, I just talked to Triumf house and they are fully booked - I got on their waiting list. West Coast Suites is sold out for all except first and last nights and is mucho dollars.

Added: Carey Centre is also full per their website.

:( Yikes--even Carey Centre. Hopefully, something will open up.

jillredhand

Record Breaker
For the GPF in Vancouver (yes, yes, this is the 4CC thread, but I've been doing so many cost spreadsheets for GPF and 4CC that I can't help but talk both) I've ended up booking a hotel in downtown Vancouver. I'm not real keen on the long bus rides or the expensive cab fares to the Thunderbird arena, but I too couldn't really find any vacancies in hotels or Airbnbs near enough to the arena to cancel out the transit costs. But, I also wanted to do some sightseeing in the downtown area, so that'll be more convenient for that part of the trip.

That said, Airbnb is now legal in Vancouver, and there are plenty of good offerings throughout the city- just none/not many in walking distance of the Thunderbird. Any way you cut it, it looks like you'll be spending a fair amount either on bus, cabs, or car rental and parking. I hear that Uber is supposed to launch in Vancouver in the fall, though, so fingers crossed.

Mamamiia

Medalist
For the GPF in Vancouver (yes, yes, this is the 4CC thread, but I've been doing so many cost spreadsheets for GPF and 4CC that I can't help but talk both) I've ended up booking a hotel in downtown Vancouver. I'm not real keen on the long bus rides or the expensive cab fares to the Thunderbird arena, but I too couldn't really find any vacancies in hotels or Airbnbs near enough to the arena to cancel out the transit costs. But, I also wanted to do some sightseeing in the downtown area, so that'll be more convenient for that part of the trip.

That said, Airbnb is now legal in Vancouver, and there are plenty of good offerings throughout the city- just none/not many in walking distance of the Thunderbird. Any way you cut it, it looks like you'll be spending a fair amount either on bus, cabs, or car rental and parking. I hear that Uber is supposed to launch in Vancouver in the fall, though, so fingers crossed.

Yes, I would definitely stay in downtown Vancouver if I could get GPF tickets.

Pocaguri

Rinkside
How’s Carey for those who been there? It’s walking distance I suppose 0.9-1.0 miles away? Not familiar first time going to Vancouver.... I just hope it doesn’t rain. I rather get a place that is walking distance .. .. going to the event each day if book hotel in downtown area seems hectic

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Regarding taking a cab after an event, 2 years ago at Skate Canada, I waited an hour and twenty minutes for a cab. There was such a traffic jam that none of the cabs wanted to get tangled up in the arena traffic. I was starting to get a little panicky! I vowed that from then on, I would always book something where I could walk, whenever possible. I have a reservation at the West Coast Suites (for the GPF). Now if I can just manage to get an all-event ticket!

kiches

Final Flight
Regarding taking a cab after an event, 2 years ago at Skate Canada, I waited an hour and twenty minutes for a cab. There was such a traffic jam that none of the cabs wanted to get tangled up in the arena traffic. I was starting to get a little panicky! I vowed that from then on, I would always book something where I could walk, whenever possible. I have a reservation at the West Coast Suites (for the GPF). Now if I can just manage to get an all-event ticket!

That's awful! Reminds me a bit of my experience at the Olympics waiting for cabs during Seollal. Over an hour wait at either the train station or even the Olympic Park in the blistering cold to get a cab, I'm pretty sure I could've walked back in the time I waited for a cab or transferred on the shuttle from the Olympic Park to the train station hoping the more central cab pick-up would be faster (it was only moderately faster). I rented a car the last time I was in Canada so that would be my plan for Canadian competitions not accessible by transit, and will probably do the same for 4CC depending on parking price.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
Official practices will be held on February 5th and 6th, thus they are included in the dates of the event, but most ticket-buyers would only need to know when the competition dates are.

Great! I fly in on the 4th. Thanks.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
I bought a ticket at the box office window for SOI at the Honda Center in Anaheim last month. There was a nuisance “service fee” added to the cost of the ticket—$4 on a $25 ticket—still way cheaper than Ticket Master, although I couldn’t figure out what on earth the 16% “service” was for. Gratuities for the bag checkers who were so slow I missed the first two acts? The ushers who didn’t do anything?

For those who are looking for inexpensive places to stay, be aware that cheaper motels around the Disneyland area are often used to house the homeless. If nobody’s against the idea of renting a car and don’t mind walking a bit, you can park down Katella a ways (on the side streets) for free or next to nothing. Honda Center charges a ton for parking. I’ve always felt safe doing that.

Ahhhhhh... 16 percent of $25 is $4. Verrrrrrrrrrrry Interesting. This piece of the puzzel leads me to believe the "added Profit" service fee is a function of the Honda Center....late in Model Year 1983, in order to purchase a new Honda Civic Wagon, my wife and I had to pay full MSRP plus a "value added" fee. Take it or leave it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
:( Yikes--even Carey Centre. Hopefully, something will open up.

I vote they move the whole thing to Spokane. Free parking, close hotels, free shuttles. Nats 2007 all over again...:yahoo:
(BTW, the bus driver who took us from Vancouver Airport to the cruise ship dock, as we were stuck in traffic for a half hour, gave us a bunch of
info about the city....most expensive real estate in Canada. The demographics are very unique. A real melting pot of folk. Very clean city, BTW.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Vancouver

SkateSand

Rinkside
The Honda Center is owned by the City of Anaheim. I suspect that's where a substantial portion of the service fee is going to.

Arriba627

TWO-TIME WORLD CHAMPION 🔥
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
That's awful! Reminds me a bit of my experience at the Olympics waiting for cabs during Seollal. Over an hour wait at either the train station or even the Olympic Park in the blistering cold to get a cab, I'm pretty sure I could've walked back in the time I waited for a cab or transferred on the shuttle from the Olympic Park to the train station hoping the more central cab pick-up would be faster (it was only moderately faster). I rented a car the last time I was in Canada so that would be my plan for Canadian competitions not accessible by transit, and will probably do the same for 4CC depending on parking price.

It was bad and I was starting to get a bit nervous. Finally I asked 3 ladies if I could get in their cab, and then the cab driver could drop them off, set the meter again, and take me to my destination. Location is everything when you pick a hotel. Last year for SC, the Residence Inn was expensive but within walking distance of the arena.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
How’s Carey for those who been there? It’s walking distance I suppose 0.9-1.0 miles away? Not familiar first time going to Vancouver.... I just hope it doesn’t rain. I rather get a place that is walking distance .. .. going to the event each day if book hotel in downtown area seems hectic

It will rain, count on it. It's December in Vancouver. We met some ladies who had come early for Nationals to do some sightseeing. It rained all day on their sightseeing day. When my husband and I discussed it, I said something about "they made their reservations months ago, they couldn't know it would be raining that day." He just shook his head, and we both started laughing.