Equivalent Edea Overture - Jackson? | Golden Skate

Equivalent Edea Overture - Jackson?

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Hello everyone,

an Adult beginner needs a bit of advice:

Over a few months in Graf Boleros (that didn't really work for me) I switched to Edea Overtures. I got them in the smaller size that was suggested to me by the Shop Owner and back then I was a little surprised that she didn't show me anything but Edea but I didn't really question it (cause I knew that like... most competitive skaters skate in Edea so why not me too?)

Anyway fast forward 2 Months and I'm still having the same pain I've had from the very beginning - now a little bit duller but still insistent. It had always felt like a sort of cramping where my foot arch is. I figured that I just needed to break them in and that it was because I took the smaller size.

Well surprise surprise, a few weeks ago I started to notice more and more that my heel was starting to slip in the boot. Even during simple crossovers sometimes.

So today I finally went to a different Skate Shop that was recommended to me and surprise again - my boots are actually at least one size too big. (I got 245, I was measure for either the 240 or more likely 235).
Additionally due to my feet being wider and Edeas usually being cut narrower, Edeas are not going to work on me at all probably.

He recommended me Jacksons, and put me into one of the "recreational" jackson models (though he didn't say which one it was) in the size smaller and low and behold, that was a HUGE difference.
We agreed that next time I'll come by, I can borrow them and skate in them for a little bit, see how the sizing feels and then we can look at the models.

So after all that - question to the forum. What would be the recommondation in terms of Model? He mentioned the Classiques, but I did a bit of research on my way home and I'm a bit worried that they might force me to buy a new model relatively quickly as they aren't quite the same level as the Overtures?

I know I might be exaggerating - I'm only doing half jumps right now and no actual singles yet, as well as crossovers, edge work, some turns...
But I'm worried, that especially as an adult (and I'm not super light weight) I would break the classiques down too quickly? Especially as i'm currently skating between 2-4 times a week.
Would the next one up be the freestyle? I know Edeas are supposedly not possible to overboot in, but I don't know about Jacksons?

I'd be happy about any tips you have for me.

mystery905

Rinkside
My first skates were Jackson Freestyles (used, so they were broken in by someone else's feet) and were quite happy with them when I first started learning.

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Jackson premiere is going to be closest equivalent. Just remember if you go that route you are going to need to make sure your blades will fit the Jackson because it doesn’t translate over exactly in size from edea

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
Jackson premiere is going to be closest equivalent. Just remember if you go that route you are going to need to make sure your blades will fit the Jackson because it doesn’t translate over exactly in size from edea

Yeah i'll have to get a new blade too, I'm pretty sure of that already. All really an annoying hassle but I'd rather fix the issue now then skate for another few months with boots that don't fit.

Is the Premier not above the Freestyle? Would that be too much for my level of skill?

Sibelius

On the Ice
The closest boot would be the new Debut Fusion Firm, labeled as a 50 stiffness by Jackson. The Overture and Debut Firm are both listed for single jumps/Axel. Only available as a boot only, but if you're getting a new blade anyway.

My daughter just got the Debut Fusion Standard which is a little softer, but she's only 9. She got fitted on a Saturday, skated on Sunday and passed her Preliminary MITF in them on the following Wednesday. No break in at all. Another option for you is that Jackson is closing out the old, (well, not that old) Debut model which had the same 50 stiffness. The difference is the Fusion's upper is synthetic, like Edea, and the sole is a composite, not the old leather, cork, leather oh, and it's got some crystals. A nice looking boot actually.

Don't waste your money on the Classiques. They are no longer made and are a much less quality boot than the Elle or Freestyle if you want a boot/blade "kit". They aren't heat moldable and have flimsy hooks which bend and snap.

The Premier Ic3 mentioned has also been discontinued by Jackson, and has left a big hole in the Jackson lineup in the 50(Debut)-75(Elite) stiffness range. You might be able to find one online (same with the "original" Debut I mentioned), but if you can't get a proper fit I'd look at something else, even if you break them down quicker. I sure hope Jackson is working on a boot to fill that hole and has them available when my skater outgrows her Debut. Good luck.

singerskates

On the Ice
Yeah i'll have to get a new blade too, I'm pretty sure of that already. All really an annoying hassle but I'd rather fix the issue now then skate for another few months with boots that don't fit.

Is the Premier not above the Freestyle? Would that be too much for my level of skill?
Don't the instructional and lower end competitive boots come with a cheep blade? If you're more than 150lbs, you'll want to start with what was the Jackson Competitor. If you way less, get the Premier.

singerskates

On the Ice
I'm doing jumps up to the single Lutz and using the Reidell Bronze Star adult version which has an 80 stiffness rating and weigh north of 170lbs and I'm 5'8". If you're 5.5 or under and weigh less than 150lbs, you can start with a boot that has a 70 stiffness rating.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
The closest boot would be the new Debut Fusion Firm, labeled as a 50 stiffness by Jackson. The Overture and Debut Firm are both listed for single jumps/Axel. Only available as a boot only, but if you're getting a new blade anyway.

My daughter just got the Debut Fusion Standard which is a little softer, but she's only 9. She got fitted on a Saturday, skated on Sunday and passed her Preliminary MITF in them on the following Wednesday. No break in at all. Another option for you is that Jackson is closing out the old, (well, not that old) Debut model which had the same 50 stiffness. The difference is the Fusion's upper is synthetic, like Edea, and the sole is a composite, not the old leather, cork, leather oh, and it's got some crystals. A nice looking boot actually.

Don't waste your money on the Classiques. They are no longer made and are a much less quality boot than the Elle or Freestyle if you want a boot/blade "kit". They aren't heat moldable and have flimsy hooks which bend and snap.

The Premier Ic3 mentioned has also been discontinued by Jackson, and has left a big hole in the Jackson lineup in the 50(Debut)-75(Elite) stiffness range. You might be able to find one online (same with the "original" Debut I mentioned), but if you can't get a proper fit I'd look at something else, even if you break them down quicker. I sure hope Jackson is working on a boot to fill that hole and has them available when my skater outgrows her Debut. Good luck.

thanks so much thats really helpful.

I'll have a look what he has in stock and maybe try different models, just talked to my coach and she said she wouldn't go for the classique either cause that will break down too quickly with how much i'm progressing.

I'll probably try and have a look at either the Freestyle/Debut Fusion Firm/Competitor... I feel like the Premier might be a little bit too stiff, but I'll ask him and maybe try it on there if he does have it.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I'm doing jumps up to the single Lutz and using the Reidell Bronze Star adult version which has an 80 stiffness rating and weigh north of 170lbs and I'm 5'8". If you're 5.5 or under and weigh less than 150lbs, you can start with a boot that has a 70 stiffness rating.

yeah so i'd probably be fine with a 70. Even that feels a lot - the edea has 48 I think?

Sibelius

On the Ice
thanks so much thats really helpful.

I'll have a look what he has in stock and maybe try different models, just talked to my coach and she said she wouldn't go for the classique either cause that will break down too quickly with how much i'm progressing.

I'll probably try and have a look at either the Freestyle/Debut Fusion Firm/Competitor... I feel like the Premier might be a little bit too stiff, but I'll ask him and maybe try it on there if he does have it.

One more thing on those original Debut's. They were much stiffer than advertised. My daughter's coaches forbid them for her at the time as they all thought they were way too stiff. I compared them to the Freestyle and Competitor and they were much closer to the Competitor (also discontinued) in my squeeze test, really stiff. I think that's one reason they didn't sell well, they were supposed to replace the Freestyle as a boot only option but they were much stiffer than the original Freestyle, so now they come in two variants, one replacing the Freestyle boot (standard) and one replacing the Competitor boot (firm).

jf12

Final Flight
yeah so i'd probably be fine with a 70. Even that feels a lot - the edea has 48 I think?

You can't compare stiffness numbers between different manufacturers. They're not standardized. In Jackson I think you would be fine with Freestyle or Debut, depending on your individual preference. I would try them both on to see what's most comfortable for you.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
You can't compare stiffness numbers between different manufacturers. They're not standardized. In Jackson I think you would be fine with Freestyle or Debut, depending on your individual preference. I would try them both on to see what's most comfortable for you.

oh really? Didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up.
i'll try them, so how I'm feeling. I might actually prefer something a little stiffer than I currently have, so might be a good time to combine that.

I'll update you all once I've made a decision.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
oh really? Didn't realise that. Thanks for the heads up.
i'll try them, so how I'm feeling. I might actually prefer something a little stiffer than I currently have, so might be a good time to combine that.

I'll update you all once I've made a decision.

When I gave you my recommendation it was based on skill level not stiffness level between brands, also taking into consideration that you are an adult and not a child.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
When I gave you my recommendation it was based on skill level not stiffness level between brands, also taking into consideration that you are an adult and not a child.

Thank you for that. I'm sorry if it might have come across as me thinking its not correct, I think I'm just a little worried about overbooting, especially as skate shops here tend to put people into boots that are sort of at their exact level and not up (which is actually what I sort of want because otherwise I gotta buy new ones relatively quickly).

I'll see what he has in stock, if he's got the premier too, I'll definitely give them a try as well.

Sibelius

On the Ice

I always read and respect your posts, so can you flesh something out here?

The Jackson Premier boot you recommended above is no longer current and I don’t see a comparable replacement in their line. So, if a skater (adult) has to choose between a boot recommended for their current skill level (in this case the Debut for singles through Axel) or a much stiffer model (next Up is the Elite, rated for doubles) where would your recommendation fall? As I said above, I hope Jackson fills that void soon, but that doesn’t help the OP now.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice

The Jackson Premier boot you recommended above is no longer current and I don’t see a comparable replacement in their line. So, if a skater (adult) has to choose between a boot recommended for their current skill level (in this case the Debut for singles through Axel) or a much stiffer model (next Up is the Elite, rated for doubles) where would your recommendation fall? As I said above, I hope Jackson fills that void soon, but that doesn’t help the OP now.

I think as an add on to that - I also got a bit confused cause there is a Premier on the Jackson website that is apparently rated for the doubles? So was there a premier that was slightly less stiff? Or is that the same?

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics

Thank you.

Depending on the boot supplier/fitter etc they may still have Premier boots in stock, and Jackson still has them listed available for men. My next suggestion would be the Elite.

OP might also want to look into Risport for a comfortable boot.

Sibelius

On the Ice
I think as an add on to that - I also got a bit confused cause there is a Premier on the Jackson website that is apparently rated for the doubles? So was there a premier that was slightly less stiff? Or is that the same?

I don’t see it at all at Jackson Ultima. Web retailers have it on clearance, so it’s not current (in the U.S.). Sounds like it would be the right boot, but if you can’t get it fit it won’t help. If your fitter is willing to work on boots bought elsewhere you could see if you can find one and have it fitted. My skater’s fitter will not do that under any circumstances.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
I don’t see it at all at Jackson Ultima. Web retailers have it on clearance, so it’s not current (in the U.S.). Sounds like it would be the right boot, but if you can’t get it fit it won’t help. If your fitter is willing to work on boots bought elsewhere you could see if you can find one and have it fitted. My skater’s fitter will not do that under any circumstances.

Interestinly enough its still available on the European site. I just compared the US Site vs the European one and it seems there's a difference in models. I'll check with my fitter what he's got, he does work with boots bought elsewhere too, but it could be that he still has them.

Sibelius

On the Ice
Interestinly enough its still available on the European site. I just compared the US Site vs the European one and it seems there's a difference in models. I'll check with my fitter what he's got, he does work with boots bought elsewhere too, but it could be that he still has them.

Now that makes sense. They just overhauled their entire low and mid level line with new Fusion models in the U.S. I know the roll out has been slow here, we got one of the first pairs, so maybe Europe is still waiting. I would love it if we could get ours to work on boots we can get quickly. She’s a great boot fitter, but is a bit “prickly”. I’ll take that to get a good fit, even if we have to wait to order since her shop is small and stock is limited. Remember, fit is everything! Best of luck. I’m glad we’re set for at least a few months.