Keiji Tanaka | Page 4 | Golden Skate

Keiji Tanaka

mikeko666

Final Flight
OK, I was wondering whether to be frank with my impressions of the FS or not, given the recent events in Keiji's hometown, but I'll bite the bullet and get it over with. I saw the DOI performance yesterday, and I have to say I was underwhelmed. I guess I had high hopes from the end-of-season interview where he claimed he wanted to 'totally transform himself' into a new persona, and try a 'whole new approach'. I'm just not seeing that here. It's commendable he's skating to a lesser used composition. But in my humble opinion, he just doesn't have it in him to skate to European classics. He doesn't feel it, and has trouble keeping up with the fast paced parts. IMO. After Traviata, this is the second time I see him skate to classical music, and I'm not impressed. There are other fields where I feel he might excel - as I said, I would love for him to skate to something dark, like The Godfather, or there is South American music (I don't mean Latin now, which I know he can pull off, but Andean etc), Asian music... and we've seen he's really good at modern music. He's versatile enough, but I feel European classics is out of his expression range. Why did I just say that? Because I care. I'm trying to keep up a positive outlook and give it a chance, and maybe I'll like it later in the season, but right now I just feel the program isn't a good vehicle for him, and definitely doesn't show a 'new' him.

That said, I hope he proves me wrong, and is successful in the upcoming season. I saw images of flooded Kurashiki in the news this morning, and remembered that not only his family are from there, but he's a student at the Kurashiki University as well. I hope his friends and family are alright. I wish Keiji a lot of strength, and that his season gets only better from now on.

I agree. I really want him to try a different choreographer than Massimo. This new FS or the last Fellini program, I do not feel like it was necessarily made for Keiji. The three FS Massimo made, including La Traviata, all have similar structures. I want him to work with a choreographer who has better understanding of his personality, and can bring something fresh and unique, which only Keiji can express.

I am not familiar with the geography of Kurashiki, but it seems like only some limited areas like Mabi Town are under the water, and the Bikan district, the most popular tourist spot in the city is already back to business as usual. So I assume his family is fine.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I agree. I really want him to try a different choreographer than Massimo. This new FS or the last Fellini program, I do not feel like it was necessarily made for Keiji. The three FS Massimo made, including La Traviata, all have similar structures. I want him to work with a choreographer who has better understanding of his personality, and can bring something fresh and unique, which only Keiji can express.

Well said, I agree with your assessment.

I am not familiar with the geography of Kurashiki, but it seems like only some limited areas like Mabi Town are under the water, and the Bikan district, the most popular tourist spot in the city is already back to business as usual. So I assume his family is fine.

Oh, thanks for the clarification. From the news and images it seemed like all of the place was submerged and they said it was one of the worst hit spots in all of Japan; glad to know it was only local.

surimi

Record Breaker
I've updated Keiji's OP. It appears he hasn't added any tweets since May, but he should be on his way to Ondrej Nepela Trophy now, which is his first competition of this season. I really wanted to see him compete live again, but cannot make it this year and I'll be cheering for him watching a stream instead.

Also, this appears to be another very nice fan blog with news and interesting tidbits in Japanese (I was intrgigued by the article on his gala JoJo costume for instance, though I have no idea what the show is about and google translate doesn't help):
https://ameblo.jp/keiji1122/
Any Keiji fan going to Bratislava?

surimi

Record Breaker
I haven't updated this thread in a while...
Keiji's now in Grenoble along with the rest of team Japan, and according to this article - https://www.asahi.com/articles/GCO2018112101001031.html - some of the team have already practiced for over an hour at the adjoining (practice?) rink.

Just listing the links to Keiji's performances from GP Finland, and I am hoping for a better outing in France:
SP - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gp3C2Hw5_c
FS - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaV4k2wTfA0
Please do land the jumps this time... :pray:

combo

Rinkside
Happy Birthday Keiji! I hope this year will be great for him ( ᵕ̤ ‧̫̮ ᵕ̤ )

surimi

Record Breaker
A very happy birthday to Keiji! I hope he can celebrate having turned 24 with having a smooth practice today, and a good result at IdF altogether! Good luck! :party:

deedee1

Record Breaker
Good luck to Keiji at the upcoming Nats this weekend! :cheer:

(Whom I cheer for the most aside ;),) his free program to William Tell Overture is my favorite among our J-boys this season. :hap85: Massimo continues to do great job re choreo'ing for Keiji, his massive improvements on artistry for the last couple of years are obvious to anyone thanks to Massimo, I think. :)

Go Keiji! :party:

surimi

Record Breaker
I vastly disagree with deedee on Scali and Keiji's FP for this season, but I still wish Keiji lots of luck at Nationals! It's going to be tough going against Koshiro and his 2 types of quads, but I hope it motivates Keiji and fires him up before his programs.

Btw, in addition to his twitter, Keiji now has an open instagram account where fans can follow him: https://www.instagram.com/2211keiji/?utm_source=ig_embed Only one post so far, but, it's in English, yay! :D

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of Keiji interview after SP at JNats
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05_JLWtUkyE

- This is your 10th Japan Nationals. Looking back on your short what are your thoughts?
I’m feeling a lot of regret about failed quads this season.
- I understand that this season you have been trying various new things seeking changes. Compared to last year’s Japan Nationals what do you think are the things you changed?
There are things I changed, but these changes have not produced good results. So I think I need to have a better look at them.
- As you said before you fell on the opening salchow, but you got level 4 on spins. How do you feel about that?
Well, this season I was aiming for good overall performances with clean jumps and good spins, so I feel a big impact by failing one element.
- FS is coming up. What kind of performance do you wish to deliver in the free?
I have no choice but to give my best shot without dragging today’s mistakes.

surimi

Record Breaker
Yes, I hope Keiji attacks his FP! Good luck, and hopefully he breaks the failed quad curse.

deedee1

Record Breaker
'おつかれ!' and congrats to Keiji to get selected to the Worlds in Japan and 4CC. :clap:
Might not be the free skate you wold have wished at the Nats, but you have two more showings this season. Rest well first, and get geared up and have yourself SHINE there! Good luck and injury-free in the second half of the season to Keiji! :yay:

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Keiji interview after JNats FP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xd-lVuU6o_4

- What do you think about your performance that topped your best scores this season?
Coming into this season I finally nailed a quad salchow, but not another quad after that. Now that the competition is over I don’t think I should be satisfied with this result, or I would not be able to move up to a higher level.
- You got level 4 on your spins which you have been polishing. Do you have confidence about that?
I think I could finally show the result of practice at competition on that element.
- How do you want to move on drawing on today’s result?
I think if I’m satisfied now I won’t grow any more. So I want to move forward telling myself that this competition was another unsatisfactory one.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Keiji after the medal ceremony
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88p9dtzmsEA

- Congratulations on your bronze medal. You got on the podium for three straight years. How do you feel about that?
I came to this Japan Nationals feeling worried because I had been inconsistent this season. I am a little relieved now but I don’t think I should be satisfied with my performance this time.
- How do you feel about being on the podium with Takahashi senshu?
My dream of being on the podium together came true, but I want to move forward using this experience as fuel for my growth.
- This season you changed your mental approach to the jumps and also changed your training method, and you must have experienced a lot of difficulties. Looking back on this season so far what can you tell us?
I faltered at competitions so many times and I wish I could have competed here with more confidence. Now that it’s over I have many regrets. I had a tougher fight than before and I did not have enough confidence in myself while skating. About my placement as I said before I don’t think I should be satisfied with my scores and placement this time.
- Lastly what is your objective from now?
Throughout this season I have been struggling so much that I want to move upward from now on using this competition as a stepping stone.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of the video originally aired on Jan. 20, 2018 titled
“Keiji inherited male sexiness from Daisuke.”
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20vRErM2fpE
The video is 11 min. long but the first part up to 6 min. is repeated so it is 6 min. long.

The 4CC will start Wednesday next week...and tonight we will focus on the sexiness of this athlete who will compete in the olympics.
Two weeks before the Japan Nationals Tanaka was pushing himself more than usual. His practice schedule showed one morning practice, two evening practices and one midnight practice at a different rink totaling four sessions.
Keiji: “I want the timing of my main practice to be at night and I do more evening practice.”
He was following the training menu Takahashi had used before Sochi Olympics.
Coach Hayashi: “He has been working hard and gaining confidence which helps him not to feel pressured."
This is tonight’s last practice. He restarted his practice at a large rink which has the similar ambience as the Olympic arena so that he won’t be intimidated by the atmosphere of the big game. In addition, the hometown Okayama’s senpai Takahashi’s DNA is injected into him.
Daisuke telling Keiji: “Lower your hips more. Make your movement stickier to the melody there.”
He is given the advice from the legend skater who wowed the crowd worldwide with his sex appeal. They are having an intense time.
Keiji: “He taught me in many ways that I can be expressive with the strength in my eyes alone.”
Daisuke: “To skate consciously in this space you need to fix your gaze. I think if your eyes wander you look weak. A male skater looks more powerful when he appears strong. With conscious gaze he shows his focus and creates contrasts.”
Keiji has been watching Hanyu, who has been competing alongside since childhood, rising to the top of the world.
Keiji: “I have not been able to catch up with him (Hanyu) who is amazing and has grown so fast.”
Tanaka did not feel rushed, discouraged nor gave up, and racked up good results and he finally was selected to compete at the last year's Worlds for the first time.
But it became clear that he did not stack up against the world’s top skaters.
Keiji: “I was frustrated that I stumbled at the Worlds and I felt strongly that I wanted to become a worthy competitor.”
Tanaka went to USA to put together his new programs in order to be internationally competitive and to be on the same stage as Hanyu as well. His short program “Memories” had been on coach Hayashi’s mind for the four years previously. It was his first time that he skated to blues music, but his coach believed that Tanaka was ready for it. He shows his rage exuding steaming sexiness.
Coach Hayashi: “The short program music is a perfect fit for the timing of his Salchow, and the timing of his take off is in perfect sync with the music, so I have no fear of his jump failure.”
His free skate uses the music of Fellini medley which he continues from the previous season. His planned quads are two salchows and one toe-loop. In this upgraded layout he attempts to jump three quads.
Consciously using the power of his eyes he takes his expressiveness to another level. He has absolute confidence gained by a great deal of practices he has done to overcome nervousness. He fought a tough fight and won a spot for the Olympic team.
Q:“In what area do you see his growth?”
Daisuke: “I think his mental strength. He gives off a different vibe. I watched him at the Japan Nationals and thought he looked really bigger, and he seems to have presence, and the difference between last season and this season is that he gives off a more powerful vibe."
Keiji: "I want to approach the 4CC and the Olympics unleashing my fierce fighting spirit."

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Translation of an interview with Keiji by Kenji Miyamoto. This is an old interview the transcript of which is dated 10/11/2016, but it shows a side of him at age 21.
https://www.jsports.co.jp/press/article/N2016101112383006.html

Page 1 of Episode 1
Cool Name "Keiji (刑事)"

- What’s up! We’re in matching camouflage clothes.
Keiji: That's right [laughs].
--I was surprised. Why are you laughing? [Laughs] Please sit down. Let me get straight to the point. Your name, Keiji (刑事detective) Keiji is cool, isn’t it? Do you like it?
Keiji: Well, with this name I can never commit any crimes whatsoever.
- That's right. Did you want to be a police detective in the past?
Keiji: I never did.
- How did you get the name Keiji (detective)?
Keiji: My father gave me this name.
- Was your father a detective?
Keiji: No, not at all. No connection.
- Oh, really. I see. Did he ever tell you any great story behind this name? Your name Keiji in kanji certainly means detective and your nickname is デカ (t/n: pronounced as deka and a slang for police detective) as well [laughs].
Keiji: In fact there are many different kanjis that are used for the name Keiji, but I guess no one else has this kanji 刑事 as his name.
--I see.
Keiji: I have never seen one yet.
- But did you ever searched online?
Keiji: The only name that I found was mine.
- Some of your costumes have a handgun design in them. Do you have that design on purpose because of your name?
Keiji: No, it just happened that way.
- By chance? Okay. This season we interview Okayama boys as our special feature. You are originally from Kurashiki, Okayama, same city as Dai-chan. Where in Kurashiki are you from?
Keiji: I live in Tsurajima, Kurashiki and Dai-chan lives nearby. I found that out later after I started skating.
- Did he influence you because he is from Kurashiki city too?
Keiji: I did not know of him at the beginning, but as I got into more and more skating, I began to realize that a famous skater used to be in the same club.
- By the way I am surprised already that it is the first time I’ve seen Keiji talk so much, although I've been choreographing you for quite some time,
Keiji: [Laughing] Yes, certainly.
- You hardly ever spoke to me. You only smile when I speak to you.
Keiji: I get that a lot.

How He Started Skating

- Well then why did you start skating in Kurashiki in the first place?
Keiji: First of all the rink was nearby and my mom took me there to have fun. Then I was hooked, and perhaps I kept asking her repeatedly to take me there to play. Before I knew it I was in the club.
- How old were you when you skated for the first time?
Keiji: I was around 7.
- 7 years old? Isn’t it relatively late?
Keiji: Well, I was in about the second half of the first year in elementary school.
- You' were hooked after being there several times. Were you able to skate right away?
Keiji: My mother skated with me for fun and I even tried to skate backwards.
- Oh, on the first day?
Keiji: My mother was probably holding my hand.
- Great.
Keiji: [Laughs]
- Why, why are you laughing?
Keiji: I thought I would get by if I laughed.
- Don’t you have a nicer way of saying that? [laughs]
Keiji: I am being nervous.