Keiji Tanaka | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Keiji Tanaka

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I'm exhausted after a demanding day, but here to congratulate Keiji! He's waited long for this, and there have been a fair number of people who doubted him, ignored and criticized him, and called him done. I am so glad he proved them wrong!
And I am happy to eat my words about his programs. They both work splendidly for him! They're interesting, entertaining, and skated with confidence and energy. A well deserved win!
SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5j67dxy1jY
LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKqw3OG8Yps

surimi

Record Breaker
^ Thank you! I look forward to watching it. No hurry with the translation, we're patient! :]
Well, good luck to Keiji at SC! If anyone has any reports on how he's faring and if he's already there (I imagine he is), please share them. :]

medoroa

On the Ice
Not a translation but a summary of the Keiji bits:

- All the boys (about 10 of them) share the same room. Keiji is playing Yugioh with 15yo Nozomu Yoshioka, and the cameraman (Taichiro Yamakuma) asks if Keiji is any good, to which Keiji replies that no, but Nozomu is way too weak. :laugh: Then he says he can't answer questions because he's focused on Yugioh. When Yamakuma cuts back to Keiji they just finished the game (Keiji won) and Keiji starts going on a loooong lecture about the hows and whys of Yugioh.

- The theme for Keiji in the new season: Attack. In the Olympic season he put a 4T at the end of his free, which he landed for the first time at nationals, which is something he wants to achieve again. He still remembers that feeling and wants to go above that. The reception he got (at that Nationals) was big, and he was doing three quads in the free back then, and he wants to go beyond that. Of course he doesn't just want to focus on jumps, he also wants his whole program to have appeal, but he feels like one season isn't enough for him to grow into programs and the music, which he thinks is an area he can really improve in. When he skates to new music he discovers new sides to himself and discovers new ways he can express himself, and expressing himself in new ways is something he wants to achieve while still competing. There's a lot of music he hasn't tried out yet and he doesn't know yet what kind of skater he can become, and that's what he wants to explore while also exploring what kind of jump layout he's capable of doing. He wants to keep skating looking forward to that progress.

- He doesn't care about his "standings" (implied: among the Japanese men). Young skaters are coming up from behind him while he still wants to reach the level of the skaters above him, and he knows his standings is a little oblique, but he's decided he's not going to care what other people say about him. He needs to show that he is himself. He's a veteran skater now if we look at his age, but he feels that technically he's still a work in progress, and you can't be an athlete in this sport if you don't make it clear that you are who you are. Why does he keep skating? To keep developing, to see the limits of how far he can go. He's still skating because he's looking forward to seeing how he develops.

- He needs to show people that he's strong, and he wants people to really see him attack this season.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I am more concerned by his comment of feeling discomfort with his ear(s) than his leg(s), which might an indication of a whiplash injury. While Marin was rushed to a hospital, he didn't go to see a doctor. His coach and JSF officals should've insisted that he should see a doctor.

surimi

Record Breaker
Oh my, I didn't read that part. :[ Where is it from, can you point me?
Best of luck to Keiji today. I haven't seen the SP but 5th is mighty good considering his circumstances. Go, Keiji! Make the top 6. :thumbsup:

mikeko666

Final Flight
Oh my, I didn't read that part. :[ Where is it from, can you point me?
Best of luck to Keiji today. I haven't seen the SP but 5th is mighty good considering his circumstances. Go, Keiji! Make the top 6. :thumbsup:

刑事 真凜とともに交通事故で耳と膝違和感も「演技集中」
https://www.sponichi.co.jp/sports/news/2019/10/26/kiji/20191025s00079000426000c.html
22日の事故で、田中は後部座席右側に座っていた。車のエアバッグも機能したため、耳や膝の違和感があったが、救急車に乗らずに宿泊ホテルに戻ったという。

Tanaka was sitting on the right side of the back seat when the accident happened on 22nd. Because the airbags were activated, he felt some discomfort in his knee(s) and ear(s), but did not ride the ambulance car and went back to the hotel.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Keiji! He kept his cool, and though there were a few minor pops, this is a big step forward for him.
He overcame the accident, he overcame his own nerves and made his way back to a podium placement.
I hope this gives him the confidence he needs for the rest of the season. :luv17:

sweetener

Rinkside
Congratulations to Keiji, especially given the tough time he's had with the accident! His and Yuzu's recreation of Shoma's wedding handhold at the podium today made me laugh :D

mikeko666

Final Flight
Congrats Keiji for a GPS medal for the first time in almost three years! :clap:
He got a quite good TES despite of multiple minor mistakes in jumps. He can earn 90+ if he skates clean FS.

I still want him to see a doctor after he came home although he said he wouldn't.

surimi

Record Breaker
Belated big congrats to Keiji! I am very happy for him. Two outings, two medals, and both results within two points of his PB. :) Although I doubted his choice of music back in the summer, I have to say the programs really suit him. He obviously enjoys performing them, and knows how to sell them. Keep it up, Keiji, great job so far!
OP updated with links to his US Classic and SC performances. If you have links to any other fun Keiji videos, please share them!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
At Cup of China Keiji placed 7th after the short.
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201911040000117.html

Keiji: The short was so bad that I wish I could reset it and give it another shot.

(About his attempted 4T as second jump instead of planned 4S) During the morning practice today I was thinking of doing it and I made myself ready for either one. I’m not sure if I really wanted to do that jump, and I ended up with the worst case scenario.

(About attack-mode) I was not ready for it at all. (Going into the free) I have no choice but to try to accomplish what I could not do today.

He finished 5th overall.
https://www.nikkansports.com/sports/news/201911090000096.html

Keiji: If I had gained momentum from SP, in the free I could have gone all out to smash it. My second GPS turned out to be a really tough one.