Keiji Tanaka | Page 9 | Golden Skate

Keiji Tanaka

Imov

Medalist
Can Keiji get in the GPF with 3rd and 5th result?
I really am wishing he could.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
I'm such a bad fan =_= November 22 was Keiji's birthday. He's turned 25, and it's amazing that he's having the best results of his senior career at this age this season! Belated Happy Birthday, Keiji, and good luck for the rest of the season! :cheer: His next competition is Japanese Nationals.
At least I have finally found the link to the moved federation page for supported skaters, so my birthday gift to Keiji is a working JFed bio link in his OP. :biggrin:

surimi

Record Breaker
Good luck to Keiji today at Challenge Cup!
Here's a nice blog in Japanese dedicated to him: https://ameblo.jp/keiji1122/
I cannot find any images of him at CC, if you can please share. I wonder how his practices have been.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Good luck to Keiji today at Challenge Cup!
Here's a nice blog in Japanese dedicated to him: https://ameblo.jp/keiji1122/
I cannot find any images of him at CC, if you can please share. I wonder how his practices have been.

I've seen these on my TL: https://twitter.com/MaryAgnetha/status/1230835811979055104?s=19

And a practice report saying he was having issues with the 4S, but after popping a few attempts he managed to land a beautiful one:
https://twitter.com/hanageshinken2/status/1230846973726674945?s=19

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks for the catch!
Here's Keiji's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Pfjg5M1E2U He got 75.54 and sits in 3rd. Nice 3A, UR 4S but landed, and too bad about the fall on the 3lz and no combo :/ That cost him precious points. I guess the senior boys on team Japan just didn't have their best day for combos.
Go get that silver medal in the free Keiji! :)

surimi

Record Breaker
It's been ages since I last posted here :hopelessness: And Keiji's been so nice to fans, posting on social media. Like this tweet from today: https://twitter.com/deka_1122/status/1255389624136019968 Looks like he's at home, trying to make scones, but ended up scorching them instead :biggrin: My skills are still too weak to translate his words accurately, but I think he's saying that when you're trying to make scones, it ends up looking like bread, and when you're trying to produce bread, you end up burning its bottom side?
Better luck next time, Keiji! ^ ^
But if he cooked all these - https://twitter.com/deka_1122/status/1251368095110717442 , my hats off to him! He has talent. And look how varied his diet is! Do I read it correctly that he cooks twice a day?
I also have to share this: https://twitter.com/ysmrkwfs/status/1254986656035135488 Such a sweet tribute to Keiji's programs by Satoko!

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Utako no Heya Interview with Keiji (May 18, 2020)
Tranlation of page 1 of 3
https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/figure/utako/utako_46_1.html

We interviewed veteran skater Keiji Tanaka who represented Japan four times at the World Championships. He will be 26 this year.

Opening words (by Keiji Tanaka)

Now we are in difficult times but I think that it is the obstacles that we can overcome by working together. In order to clear such a big hurdle, I am thinking about what I can do in such hard times, and I will go on believing that what I can do now will be helpful in my skating life in the future. I am hanging in there to be able to show you I’m well someday, so let's be careful to stay healthy and make it through tough times together! !
About continuing his active career and the 2020-21 season

■ First, please tell me the reason why you decided to continue skating.
It’s not that I made the announcement that I would continue skating. I haven't made the decision that this year would be my last either. I'm not planning on spending the rest of the season after announcing my retirement.
This is because I do not want to compete having a strong sense of my retirement as my motivation. I would rather spend the competitive athlete’s life working hard to improve my skating til the end of my career.

■ Are you thinking of new challenges for the 20-21 season?
At this point, it is unlikely that the type of music I will skate to for the new season will be decided soon.
However, I personally want to skate to various genres of music, so I will try to find music pieces that will broaden my horizons during the season.

■ You've become one of the oldest skaters in the men's singles. Please tell me how you feel now.
(laughs) I am not conscious of being older. Koshin Yamada and Dai Takahashi were there at Japanese Nationals for the 2019-20 season, so I didn't think I was an elder. (Laughs) However, since there are many younger skaters, I have to strive to be worthy of recognition as their senior and continue to grow as a person outside skating as well.

■How do you want your fans and young skaters to see you as a veteran?
Because I have been able to come to this point by working hard at every step of the way, it would be nice if I could show them that I still continue to make efforts although it hasn’t been smooth sailing. I don't really understand what "skate like a veteran" means, but I don't want to stop making progress no matter what.

■ Are you going to have the new programs for the 2020-21 season?
I was looking forward to the new season challenging myself to try new short, free, and gala programs... But, to be honest, my programs are nowhere in sight right now under the circumstances.

■ Do you have any plans to show your programs for the next 2019-20 season?
I think “Hip Hip Chin Chin,” which is a short program, is the program that people can enjoy at ice shows, so I would like to keep it. The free, “Sherlock Holmes” ... I’m afraid it would be a tough sell at the ice shows (laughs).

■We are looking forward to your gala. What are you planning to do?
I'm thinking of a different program for the new season's gala. I can't say the details yet, but I'll do my best to go above and beyond your expectations, so please look forward to it.

■ Please tell us your goals for the 2020-21 season
I am unable to foresee the future in the current circumstances and it is difficult to make detailed plans for the new season, but I want to continue my personal motto "Challenge myself! “ which I have adopted since last year. I think my unwavering commitment to this motto will lead to my own growth.

NEXT PAGE - About Figure Skating and His Personal Life

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Page 2 of 3
https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/figure/utako/utako_46_2.html

■Photo [cooked by Keiji Tanaka] It took him more time than necessary to cook this meat sauce spaghetti dish. Veggie stir-fry was hassle free.

About figure skating

■ What is your happiest moment during your performance and practice?
I feel happiest or perhaps most satisfied when I finish up the exhausting practice or program(laughs). When I’m being choreographed for the new program, I enjoy learning it in each session seeing the program taking shape!

■ Do you have a favorite pose that you definitely want to put in during your performance?
Actually nothing in particular (laughs) I do a lot of round kicks, but it's rather tiring (laughs)

■ Is there a program that you think “Deep down inside, this is the one I really want to do!”?
For a competition program I would like to leave it to my choreographer. I think it's better to skate to the music that I couldn’t have imagined, because it will help me create a good program as it gives me more sense of accomplishment by challenging myself.
In the gala, there are many songs that I would like to try, unlike those for competitions, so I won’t hesitate to tackle them. For example, when I did the 4th part of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (Diamond is unbreakable ~ Main theme ~), it was such a rewarding experience and I enjoyed myself, so I would like to try the music cuts from a different season of the series this time. And I want to try Evangelion as well someday.

Please tell us about your personal life

■ Are you living alone now?
Yes, it’s been 7 years since I started living by myself, so I perfected the art of living alone (laughs).

■ Do you cook your meals? Also, do you watch what you eat?
Until recently, I gave up cooking, but now that I have more time to stay at home due to my self isolation, I have free time. So I cleaned up the kitchen and restarted cooking.
I'm not particular about my diet, and I am not a picky eater either, so I think I eat well-balanced meals. When I feel like my stamina is down, I grab probiotic dairy products (laughs)

■ Photo [Cooked by Keiji Tanaka] Keema curry-like curry rice and pickles from his mother

■ Are there any foods you are into right now? And what made you love them?
Right now I'm addicted to barley chocolate and avocado. I liked both of them from the beginning, but when I recently drank a Highball, I got really hooked on these foods because they went so well with the drink (laughs).

■ Tell me how you refresh your mood.
I watch anime. Or I play with my favorite Yu-Gi-Oh cards and think about game strategies. Also I binge watch YouTube videos (laughs).

■ Do you have a pet, or do you have a pet you would like to keep?
I don't have a pet at the moment, but I would like to have an otter or a Siberian husky. When I watch videos of otters and Siberian huskies on YouTube I feel relaxed, while suppressing my desire to keep one.

NEXT PAGE - Private Life and Message to his Fans

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Page 3 of 3
https://www.fujitv.co.jp/sports/skate/figure/utako/utako_46_3.html

(Photo) ■His acquaintance made this mask of remnant of fabric for the blade cover he was using a while back.

Please tell me about your private life.

■ Are you able to get enough opponents for games such as card games? Do you have more opponents?
There are very few among competitive skaters, but I often play against retired skaters. I feel lonely because the number of opponents hasn’t increased as much as I want (laughs). I think I should try hard to find opponents other than skaters.

■ Other than skating, is there anything you really want to do?
I want to go on a trip to various places and see various scenery. It is difficult to find free time because of practice and training in my active career, but if I can adjust the schedule someday well enough, I want to make it happen little by little. However, I'm not good at foreign languages, so my trips will be domestic only (laughs).

■ You will be 26. Please tell me your goals other than skating
I want to relearn Chinese which I used to be able to speak, so that I can speak it again. After I become good at it I want to visit Taiwan and eat a lot of delicious foods!

To everyone who has been watching over him

■Do you have any recommendations for exercises to stay physically active at home?
I recommend headstand with the help of both hands.. It may be difficult at first, but I think if you keep trying it you will be able to do it someday (laugh)

■ Please say a few words to people who are supporting you.
I do not know how the new season will be, but for the time being I won’t give up and will do my best to do what I can. I’m afraid everyone is having hard, uneasy and tough days. Let’s take care of our health. I look forward to seeing you again at the rink!

Thank you very much.

surimi

Record Breaker
Thank you so much, Rainbow! Much appreciated. Very insightful interview. This is the first time I hear a mention of Keiji's mum, sweet.
Headstands are so not happening for me, despite Keiji's recommendations :laugh: Maybe for those of his fans who are in a much better physical shape than myself. I really should exercise more. :p

I don't have a pet at the moment, but I would like to have an otter or a Siberian husky. When I watch videos of otters and Siberian huskies on YouTube I feel relaxed, while suppressing my desire to keep one.

If he ever buys an otter (lol, it's actually possible to have one as pet? I thought these can't be kept indoors?) , he should invite Kazuki over :biggrin: It's his signature animal, isn't it?

■ Other than skating, is there anything you really want to do?
I want to go on a trip to various places and see various scenery. It is difficult to find free time because of practice and training in my active career, but if I can adjust the schedule someday well enough, I want to make it happen little by little. However, I'm not good at foreign languages, so my trips will be domestic only (laughs).

So the Nishinomiya rink has two of a kind now! There goes my hope he'd help Sota with English :drama: Maybe he can visit China at least, and see the Great Wall and other wonderful sights, when he's refreshed his Chinese. I wonder if he still visits his relatives in Taiwan occasionally...

surimi

Record Breaker
Fresh Keiji tweet, he's doing a FS Live talkshow along with his friend Ryuju Hino through Zoom on the 14th. :) https://twitter.com/deka_1122/status/1267697524225085441
He says he is not very good at talking so he'll be relying on his friend ^ ^
I suppose this talk is a paid service?
But good to see Ryuju active again, I've been wodnering what he's up to. These two are probably the oldest Japanese competitive skaters now.

KiraraChin

Medalist
Fresh Keiji tweet, he's doing a FS Live talkshow along with his friend Ryuju Hino through Zoom on the 14th. :) https://twitter.com/deka_1122/status/1267697524225085441
But good to see Ryuju active again, I've been wodnering what he's up to. These two are probably the oldest Japanese competitive skaters now.
Keiji seems to be the oldest, followed by Yuzuru and then Ryuju ;)

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan

Yes, tickets are priced at 2,500yen and limited to the first 250 buyers.
https://figureskatelifetalk.stores.jp/items/5ece1176bd217877ee6bc764

●Topics will include,
・Memories of junior days
・About costumes
・What they've been into these days

surimi

Record Breaker
I hope something leaks after the interview. I'd like to know what Keiji and Ryuju are up to. And if it's challenging for Keiji to have Sota in Nishinomiya. I don't think he's had to share his coach with a direct rival before.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The online talk show tickets were sold out on the first day of sale. FS Life, the organizer has increased the number of available tickets from 250 to 400.

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
The latest Quadruple Axel 2020 published on June 18, 2020 available from these sellers.
From Japan: https://www.amazon.co.jp/【Amazon-co...゙ック-Quadruple-2020シーズン総集編-希望の銀盤/dp/463590735X
From USA: https://www.amazon.com/フィギュアスケート男子ファンブック-Quadruple-2020シーズン総集編-希望の銀盤-Japanese-ebook/dp/B08BBW1LZP

Note: Keiji did not reveal his programs for the coming season at the time of the interview His short had been already choreographed by Kenji Miyamoto before the rink closed, but Keiji wanted to keep the program name a secret until the first competition. His free was to be choreographed by Massimo Scali, and Keiji was still waiting for Scali to pick the music for him.

Translated excepts from Keiji Interview:

--A nationwide state of emergency has been declared in Japan, and Hyogo Nishinomiya Ice Arena has been closed. How are you doing?
K: I cannot skate on ice at all, and all I can do is train on my own. I’ve been following the training menu that sensei (Tatsuhiro Era trainer) had made for me, and I’ve also added something else. Instead of practice on ice, I do what I can do in my room, and jog at a riverbed without many pedestrians. I don’t jog much usually but I’m preparing myself for when I come back on ice, and I want to keep my strength up.

--Is there anything you focus on when you work out?
K: I don’t have anything particular in mind about building my body at the moment. To maintain my current body is all I can do, and to be honest, I’m not even sure if what I’ve been doing is effective.

--There is so much you can only gain by practicing on ice?
S: Skating depends on your senses a lot, so I have fear of uncertainty back on ice. All I can do now is train on my own and try things out, to be honest.

--Please tell us what you think about this season.
S: During the season I thought about many things, but looking back on the season, I did great when I was on fire, and I was able to keep my momentum going into the Japanese Nationals and the Challenge Cup.

--This season you started out very well with winning the US International, and 3rd at Skate Canada. Then, you did so well at the Japanese Nationals that you got a spot for the Worlds Championships for the fourth time. At the Challenge Cup you got 2nd place, so you did a great job throughout the season.
S: Personally I still feel regret that I could have done better, but I think I did a good job at the Challenge Cup when I was looking at the Worlds.

--You were well prepared for the Worlds. Considering that, it was too bad that the competition was cancelled.
S: I knew clearly what I wanted to do and how I wanted to skate. Also I was in good shape, and the degree of perfection of my programs was getting higher, so I wish I could have competed there in such good form.

... to be continued

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
…continued from the last post

--Throughout this season you wanted to be bold. How about next season?
S: I want to continue to be bold and ambitious as long as I compete. I want to be just like that; no more, no less. When I’m back on ice and the season starts, I will go for it.

--You said a little while ago that you couldn’t wait to practice together with everybody else. At the beginning of this year (t/n: mid-January) Yamamoto senshu joined your team. Did you notice any changes in the practice environment?
S: I have a feeling that the boys’ motivation went up a notch or two. At first I was surprised that he joined us. Who would have thought? Anyway we got a new male student, especially a high level one, and I’m glad that we inspire each other and our training environment has been better.

--When I visited Hyogo Nishinomiya Ice Arena in February to interview you before (February), I saw you and Yamaoto senshu practice together shouting out something to each other (to get psyched up) and I could see you two had high morale.
S: When I practice with him I get inspired and motivated. I hope the boys have a positive effect on Sota as well, and hope we motivate each other. I think Sota inspires young skaters such as Kazuki (Kushida) and Nozomu (Yoshioka).

--You used to practice with Yamamoto senshu at Rinkai Sports Center?
S: Sota was on my team at first, and moved to Onishi (Yoshinori) sensei, and then moved to Nagoya and came back to my team. I’ve seen him at Chukyo all the time, and he could easily blend into our team.

--I saw your photos you shared on SNS, and there are many dishes that look balanced and delicious.
S: Ahaha (laughs). I don’t cook elaborate dishes. They may look great in photos but I often mess up (laughs). These days I only eat two meals a day. I prepare breakfast and eat it, take a little rest, work out, and then I cook dinner. That’s my daily schedule.

--Do you come up with a menu before grocery shopping?
S: No, I play it by ear (laughs). I do quick grocery shopping and use leftovers from the fridge. I can only make simple dishes.

--It’s great that you cook different dishes every time.
S: That’s because it’s my only daily pleasure left (laughs). When I think about skating, I feel stressed, but I think eating tasty meals is good for your sanity and cooking in itself is good for you too. Therefore I would like to keep doing it, and this is where I am most motivated (laughs).

THE END

surimi

Record Breaker
Thanks a lot for sharing this! Naturally, I was very intrigued by the parts about Sota. It sounds like Keiji is a bit wary of him, but that is completely fine. They are two elite athletes and direct competitors under the same coach, and both are probably wondering how training together will affect their results, especially at Nationals. But I am happy to read the rink seems to be a fun place where they motivate and cheer each other on.
Keiji sounds very down to earth and relatable. And yay for leftover utilizing! ^ ^

rRainbow

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Quadruple Axel 2020 (6/18/20) Q&A

Q: Describe your personality
Keiji: Basically I am not the type who always wants to do things diligently and neatly. So far I’ve tried many things but there have been very few that I have gotten passionate about. But I am confident that I will pursue things that I have come to love such as skating, anime and online card games.

Q: If you were an animal what would you be?
Keiji: (After thinking for a while) Dog? (Asked about the type of dog breed) Shiba Inu? That’s the only thing off the top of my head (laughs).

Q: What was the most nerve-racking incident in your life?
Keiji: Competitions as a whole. Even after so many years and so many competitions I’ve been through I start to get nervous around warm-up time and my nerves continue to be taut until I finish my performance.

Q: What do your costumes mean to you?
Keiji: It’s the switch to flip. Without wearing my costume I cannot imagine myself skating in competition. The moment I wear the costume the switch is turned on and I feel like entertaining the audience. My most favorite costume is “JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure.”

Q: Right after you come back from overseas competition, what food do you crave the most?
Keiji: Kaiten sushi. I eat any sushi. I like kaiten sushi because they have udon noodles too.

Q: If you had not chosen to be a skater, what would you be doing?
Keiji: I cannot imagine anything because my life would be completely different. I would not be able to find anything I would be more into than skating.