Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

evasorange

Final Flight
Ohhhhh boy. Hope his healing process is going well and hope to see a strong smiling Yuzu at Pyeongchang 💛

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Omg, I almost had a heart attack because I just read "out of the olympics!!!"

that made me log in immediately to read what happened...*phew* never have i thought that GS perhaps needs to redesign the index page to ensure the full topic is shown :p

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Omg, I almost had a heart attack because I just read "out of the olympics!!!"

So sorry! I've edited my title. 🙈

ETA: A moderator will have to fix the post title.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ Make that five. I really hope his injury has healed well. :pray: No matter how he places, I hope he's healthy and content with his performance after his skate(s).

icybear

Medalist
Hmmm seems like the injury is still quite serious and he wants to take as much time out for rest as possible. The most logical thing to do is do the team SP so that he can warm up after being out for a couple of months. As we saw with the different comeback of Evgenia and Boyang, it's best to warm up before the big stage because you never know what comeback you're going to have.

Marin

"Efforts tell lies, but it will not be in vain."
Record Breaker
I am relieved honestly, it would have been insane to handle that media craze after him, and he will be heading it as regular championships, like WC or 4cc. and he will get the chance to train ar main rink on 13 th. That Olymic marathon is exhausting as hell, he needs to conserve energy after injury. Yuzuru is the one who will fully invest himself even in Team competition, and he might already burn out when individual event comes. I am quite happy to hear this . I predicted this in other thread two weeks ago or so, I am glad they are thinking same way as I am.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
This is unfortunate, since the team SP was beneficial last time around in getting him confident for the individual. It would have been beneficial for him to get a trial run using the team event, instead going straight back into high-level competition in the individual. However, it's obviously the right thing to do; he can conserve his health and energy for the event that's most important.

I hope this means that Uno and Tanaka will split the team event, because that would be undue pressure/strain on Uno to now have to do both SP and FS segments for the best possible team points, when Japan probably won't medal due to pairs/ID anyway. Yuzuru is still a question mark and it might not be wise for Japan to compromise Uno's shot at the gold, for an unlikely team medal, by tiring him out.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
This is unfortunate, since the team SP was beneficial last time around in getting him confident for the individual. It would have been beneficial for him to get a trial run using the team event, instead going straight back into high-level competition in the individual. However, it's obviously the right thing to do; he can conserve his health and energy for the event that's most important.

I hope this means that Uno and Tanaka will split the team event, because that would be undue pressure/strain on Uno to now have to do both SP and FS segments for the best possible team points, when Japan probably won't medal due to pairs/ID anyway. Yuzuru is still a question mark and it might not be wise for Japan to compromise Uno's shot at the gold, for an unlikely team medal, by tiring him out.

They split it between Yuzuru and Machida last time so I doubt JSF is gonna like, unintentionally sabotage Shoma. Also, Shoma's endurance is amazing. I'd say almost the best out of any top man right now. He'll be fine.

Li'Kitsu

Record Breaker
So sorry! I've edited my title. 🙈

ETA: A moderator will have to fix the post title.

Haha, no reason to apologize! As another member of the "Zomg out of OLYMPICS?!" nearly heart attack victims, it has the advantage that after realizing what the full title was, I felt a slight bit of relief - not something very associated with reading Yuzu news since a long time :laugh:

Regarding the news itself: I'd like to think differently, but tbh this is worrying me a bit. Of course there are arguments for and against going, and Yuzu and his team know way better what to do then me - but that doesn't change that I'm stuck without that enlightenment and my "own worries". And Yuzu normally is the type to need competitions to get back on top of his game - he usually never did that well at the beginning of the season or after long breaks (and it's not as if that wasn't that unusual for many skaters, understandably). So far the other top men didn't get themselves too much momentum, but they still could in the TE - and I think even more so if Yuzu isn't present. Plus, I don't see how missing the TE event will lessen the media craze around him. Depending on how it goes, it might get worse, and it'll "hit" closer to the main event then if he'd come earlier to South Korea. It's gambling either way, and I doubt it was part of the arguments of the decision process.
And I'm not angry or anything it will still take longer until we see him again, that's not that important. But I guess I also can't help projecting my uncertainty, because even if he skated the TE and didn't do well, at least we'd know... something. Not this giant mystery sprayed with extra mysterious purple bent into the most mysterious question mark ever. But I'll try to focus on the only thing I can do, wish Yuzu all the best and hope that everything he planed works out well for him. Ganba Yuzu! :pray:

PS: Regarding Shoma being sabotaged by having to do the whole team event - Japan has to make it to the LPs for that first anyway. And I doubt they won't split their men & ladies, they don't have anything to split regarding Pairs & Dance anyway...

YesWay

四年もかけて&#
Record Breaker
That Olymic marathon is exhausting as hell, he needs to conserve energy after injury. Yuzuru is the one who will fully invest himself even in Team competition, and he might already burn out when individual event comes. I am quite happy to hear this . I predicted this in other thread two weeks ago or so, I am glad they are thinking same way as I am.
This ^

In any case, I've always thought the team event was a dumb idea. For everyone.
If they want a team thing, why not just use the results of the individual competitions?
Or if we must make skaters perform their programs twice... do it after the individual competitions.

I'm glad Yuzuru is concentrating only on the individual event.
He's better off, out of the Team competition.
Skaters don't get much practice time at the Olympics...
...and by arriving later he gains an extra week or two of proper training and preparation.
And Japan is hardly a favourite for the Team podium anyway...

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I am anything but happy to read about this, as far as I am concerned this is not good news but on the other hand, it's not upsetting either, it simply is.

The lack of competitions is not good; nothing can replace a competition.
No, the media hype is not going to be any less; if anything it is going to be worse and if either Nathan or Shoma, which is highly likely IMO, has a good team event short, then it's going to go through the roof.
Yuzuru himself has always been very proud to represent his country so that's also extra stress and another boulder on his shoulders that he has to 'atone' for in the individual.

The individual thus becomes his "one shot at it" with all the pressure piled on and if we're talking about burning out, then that is a far bigger reason to burn out than anything else. Not like we haven't seen that before after all. Another minus is Brian is leaving; he will be with Cha for the Team Event.

I don't think things are gloomy either. I think a huge benefit of this is that they aren't pushing the team and he'll have that extra week to work on both form and stamina. He peaks very quickly so if the stamina is at a decent place, this could end up being an enormous boost for him that could push him over in terms of getting a medal.
If he can channel all the frustration into a controlled performance, it's another potential plus so the team mentally preparing him is IMO going to be the make it or break it point for him and these Games.

At this point, I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic; it simply is what it is and it can't be helped. I think this overall has been a terrible situation and he'll make the best of it but I cannot help but feel truly sorry because this is not what he wanted and I can only hope he can give two performances he, himself, is satisfied with because nothing hurts like those terrible whatifs. Everything crossed.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
They split it between Yuzuru and Machida last time so I doubt JSF is gonna like, unintentionally sabotage Shoma. Also, Shoma's endurance is amazing. I'd say almost the best out of any top man right now. He'll be fine.

If anyone could handle a SP+FS, it would be Uno. But there's not a ton of recovery time between the team event and the men's individual.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
I don't see how this is an issue. What do you mean "Brian is leaving"? Won't Orser be with Hanyu for the individual event?

I mean he won't be with him during this week that I personally find crucial.
He'll be with him once he's in Korea of course. Well, split between the three of them.