Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 10 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

TerpsichoreFS

Marin Honda's skating skills
Final Flight
But he has to to win. Xeyra said win, not place high. Unless you did understand that and decided to not answer the post properly to make a point about how overscored Yuzuru is.

I think the point is not that Yuzuru is overscored, but that his programs are packed even without quads, plus his program components will rightly keep him in the game regardless.

But yes, he (like everyone else) will have to deliver on the quads to actually win the gold medal.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
But he has to to win. Xeyra said win, not place high. Unless you did understand that and decided to not answer the post properly to make a point about how overscored Yuzuru is.

Actually, xeyra said nothing about winning in the post I was quoting, only competing -- "But for Yuzuru it is. So why would he go compete if he can't land a single quad? It'd be humiliating for him. If he's still in such bad condition he isn't allowed to do quads, I'd expect him to have withdrawn already."

And as Mathman said, the point isn't that he's overscored, it's that he has other strong elements that can still keep him in contention. Obviously in order to win, he will have to deliver quads, unless the whole field has a meltdown a la 2014 Sochi where he managed enough to win the gold.

The field has gotten stronger with many more contenders since then - plus I'm imagining a more supportive crowd in Korea - so I'm sure there will be better performances.

FCSSp4

Rinkside
Totally! It's unfortunate that in the FS he doubled the quad salchow, lipped, and fell on the 4T and fell out of his quad in the SP, otherwise he easily would have won. Still, a wonderful effort considering! :clap:

Still amazing to think how he shook off those mistakes. I know it will be harder for him to win this time around, but I know he's doing his best to be in good form at Pyeongchang. Sad about his circumstances but it's a sport and things don't come easily for anyone. I hope to see the same spirit he's had in so many of his difficult competitions because medal or no medal he's still one of the best out there. :yahoo:

FCSSp4

Rinkside
I'm here for Yuzu winning the Olympics with zero quads. For all the quad hype around, it would be hilarious to have a quad-less OGM! :biggrin:

It's not mathematically impossible as long as they give him perfect GOE for everything and some guys make mistakes but then I don't like saying that. I'd love a clean competition between all the men :luv17:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
I'm here for Yuzu winning the Olympics with zero quads. For all the quad hype around, it would be hilarious to have a quad-less OGM! :biggrin:

He'd need a 2A in a quadless layout and Yuzuru can't do 2As anymore. :drama:

Ares

Record Breaker
Country
Poland

He just needs a lucky strand of Evan Lycasek's hair and perform magic ritual lighting up salvia & 44 black candles. :biggrin:

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
He just needs a lucky strand of Evan Lycasek's hair and perform magic ritual lighting up salvia & 44 black candles. :biggrin:

And steal Nathan's costumes for further Evan-likeness.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Still amazing to think how he shook off those mistakes. I know it will be harder for him to win this time around, but I know he's doing his best to be in good form at Pyeongchang. Sad about his circumstances but it's a sport and things don't come easily for anyone. I hope to see the same spirit he's had in so many of his difficult competitions because medal or no medal he's still one of the best out there. :yahoo:

:agree:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
He will be there to compete. However, if he is not in good shape, he can't win with other skaters having quads and in greater shape than he is. That said it is an assumption and like I said I could be wrong. Please feel free to share a recent video of him skating combinations and a quad when you find one.

Also just because a skater can't win or is not a medal contender they can not compete in the Olympics. It's a competition free for all. It's not just about winning for some.

Yes and no. Many of us do not want to see the defending champion really not be able to skate; in fact lest we forget wasn't it Rachel Flatt who got penalized for competing while injured or fined I believe? Michelle Kwan was class and let someone else skate who was healthy. Yuzuru has an OGM; nothing will change that. I hope he only skates if he is near 100percent. Taking a spot of someone else who could try their best would be more heroic and good sport.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think the point is not that Yuzuru is overscored, but that his programs are packed even without quads, plus his program components will rightly keep him in the game regardless.

But yes, he (like everyone else) will have to deliver on the quads to actually win the gold medal.

Maybe he will skate pairs with Pooh Bear so he won't need any Quad?

risingtrot

On the Ice
Thanks @xeyra for sharing the link to the article on Yuzuru's progress. Interesting that it was posted last night just after all the recent conversations here^^

That said, I think so many current skaters are buying/capable for the Olympic Gold this time. I would be happy if any of them wins the Gold. May the best skater win.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Thanks @xeyra for sharing the link to the article on Yuzuru's progress. Interesting that it was posted last night just after all the recent conversations here
FWIW, I never hear a Japanese athlete or their representatives talk about an injury before a competition. They all say they are perfectly fine, then open up about it after the competition has finished.

Unlike, say, sumo, there's no real competitive advantage to keeping quiet with an injury in figure skating, so I think it's more a Japanese cultural thing of not wanting to burden other people with their problems.

I will say that the very fact that Hanyu's camp apparently made the decision quite far in advance, leads to speculation that it is still touch and go about whether Yuzuru will be al full strength by the time of the individuals.