Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 11 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

Warwick360

Medalist
Wise decision. Japan's dance and pairs aren't much of a threat anyways, to allow Japan on the podium.:slink:

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Mainstream newspapers are reporting that Brian Orser "clearly stated" in an interview that all of Yuzu's quads except the Lutz are fine, he is "remarkably well trained" and "definitely a contender for the gold medal." He will not be including the 4 Lutz in his programmes.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/GCO2018020501002727.html?iref=pc_ft_slider_txt_2
(Couldn't find an English translation of this article)

OK, so it could be positive spin, but I would like to believe it's true. :pray:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Mainstream newspapers are reporting that Brian Orser "clearly stated" in an interview that all of Yuzu's quads except the Lutz are fine, he is "remarkably well trained" and "definitely a contender for the gold medal." He will not be including the 4 Lutz in his programmes.

https://www.asahi.com/articles/GCO2018020501002727.html?iref=pc_ft_slider_txt_2
(Couldn't find an English translation of this article)

OK, so it could be positive spin, but I would like to believe it's true. :pray:

That's how I'm taking all this so far. I hope for the best, while keeping other possibilities in mind. :ghug:

SarahSynchro

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I haven’t been on GS a for a few days. About an hour ago, I randomly thought: “Oh holy hell, is Yuzuru still injured? Is he still competing at the Olympics? What is going on with him? I MUST FIND OUT IMMEDIATELY!!!”

So of course, I log on to find this fourteen page thread. Bless you all, I read every post. I sincerely hope that he is healthy and able and ready for the individual events. :cheer: Alternatively, I also sincerely hope that I don’t have to spend the next two and a half weeks in mourning, comforting a distraught Yuzurudaughter. I’m almost at 28 weeks of pregnancy, and I’m willing to bet that none of my black clothes that are appropriate funeral attire will fit me at this point. :laugh:

Yoa

On the Ice

charlotte14

Medalist
ISU is wishing that our lord and savior Yuzuru Hanyu will bring back the beautiful skating with packed transitions to show the world what is true figure skating, not figure jumping. Yes I am all for Hanyu winning Olympics over fake quads and thousands of bad quality crossovers. :agree:

Yoa

On the Ice
Another English one: https://english.kyodonews.net/news/...0-ready-to-defend-title-says-coach-orser.html

Orser said missing the team event starting Feb. 9 had been a difficult, but smart decision by the 23-year-old.

"I know it was a difficult decision for him because at the last Olympics he did do the team event and my advice to him was that you need to think about yourself."

"He has his goals and wants to win the Olympic gold medal again. Then we have to say, how do we do this? The injury from the NHK (Trophy) was not in the cards for this season but it happened, and we had to be smart and recover 100 percent. He needs to think about himself and what his goals are for the individual (event). They (Japan) still have a strong team and I think he was smart."

For those who are worried about his condition:
"It is amazing how we can peak pretty quickly. I remember in the summer we got back training in July and saying then he's ready for the Olympics. He was ready in August. So we have all that work behind us and it is sort of in the bank and thank goodness for that because now it is all coming to fruition," said Orser.

"We are kind of peaking again and it is mainly conditioning right now and getting some run-throughs done. But he has done a lot of conditioning off the ice so in some ways he is much stronger than ever but we need the extra time."

Orser said that with exception of Hanyu's quad lutz, all of his jumps were fine ahead of the men's singles starting on Feb. 16.

"It was his decision and everyone's decision not to do the quad lutz. He is not ready to go there and I have said all along he doesn't need it."

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So Yuzu won't jump the 4lz at olympics?
Not bad to ditch it. He doesn't need that anyway.

Latremu

Final Flight
ISU is wishing that our lord and savior Yuzuru Hanyu will bring back the beautiful skating with packed transitions to show the world what is true figure skating, not figure jumping. Yes I am all for Hanyu winning Olympics over fake quads and thousands of bad quality crossovers. :agree:

Funny, that sounds like something Dick Button or Patrick Chan would have said, but they wouldn't have been referring to Yuzuru.

Seriously though, I like Yuzuru, but why are you making him into the Messiah or some sort of god, and the fandom into a religion? It's really a bit disturbing. The man is human. He's neither invulnerable nor omniscient. He deserves respect and admiration, but I doubt he'd want to be worshipped.

charlotte14

Medalist
Funny, that sounds like something Dick Button or Patrick Chan would have said, but they wouldn't have been referring to Yuzuru.

Seriously though, I like Yuzuru, but why are you making him into the Messiah or some sort of god, and the fandom into a religion? It's really a bit disturbing. The man is human. He's neither invulnerable nor omniscient. He deserves respect and admiration, but I doubt he'd want to be worshipped.
There is this thing they call sarcasm but someone does not get it :dance2:

Of course Dick Button would not refer to Hanyu because he wants someone with similar style as the Dick Button in the past (Javier) to win. I respect the old man but if he believe comical style is the best artistic way for men skating... :laugh: people get to be biased and it is ok but somehow it's too hilarious.

Latremu

Final Flight
There is this thing they call sarcasm but someone does not get it :dance2:

Of course Dick Button would not refer to Hanyu because he wants someone with similar style as the Dick Button in the past (Javier) to win. I respect the old man but if he believe comical style is the best artistic way for men skating... [emoji23] people get to be biased and it is ok but somehow it's too hilarious.
Oh, was your whole post sarcastic? Well, that makes more sense then! I thought you were a Yuzu fan. Since sarcasm (my particular brand of humor) is usually used to mock someone, I didn't think you'd be mocking either Yuzuru or his fans, hence my confusion with your sarcastic comment. Forgive me.

Good that he's not doing the cursed 4Lz. Hopefully he doesn't push for a 5-quad program. Skate clean, skate well. Not too long now.

charlotte14

Medalist
Oh, was your whole post sarcastic? Well, that makes more sense then! I thought you were a Yuzu fan. Since sarcasm (my particular brand of humor) is usually used to mock someone, I didn't think you'd be mocking either Yuzuru or his fans, hence my confusion with your sarcastic comment. Forgive me.

Good that he's not doing the cursed 4Lz. Hopefully he doesn't push for a 5-quad program. Skate clean, skate well. Not too long now.
Nah I mock noone but if you want some clarify then for sure I can tell you this, many coaches and ISU members in general do not want to participate in the quad races. Quads are great and all but they want beautiful skating, not figure jumping.

If there is anyone who can blend the beauty of jumps + figure skating in the most seamless way, it's Hanyu. If somehow Hanyu manage to do some perfect performances at the Olympic, I am not suprised ISU and co would be over the moon because his skating suites the ideal image of whatever they're truly hoping for from the inside.

...many coaches and ISU members in general do not want to participate in the quad races. Quads are great and all but they want beautiful skating, not figure jumping.

If there is anyone who can blend the beauty of jumps + figure skating in the most seamless way, it's Hanyu. If somehow Hanyu manage to do some perfect performances at the Olympic, I am not suprised ISU and co would be over the moon because his skating suites the ideal image of whatever they're truly hoping for from the inside.

This is certainly true. But I still get nervous when I see all the other sports that are promoted at the Olympics. All I see are things like snowboarding, hot-dog skiing, etc. -- in other words, other winter sports' equivalent of quads. I think that as far as the Olympics are concerned, old-fashioned sports like figure skating and classic ski jumping are on their way out. :(

Last edited:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
This is certainly true. But I still get nervous when I see all the other sports that are promoted at the Olympics. All I see are things like snowboarding, hot-dog skiing, etc. -- in other words, other winter sports' equivalent of quads. I think that as far as the Olympics are concerned, old-fashioned sports like figure skating and classic ski jumping are on their way out. :(

Perhaps in the USA. Ski Jumping and Biathlon are THE Winter Sports in Germany, extremely popular and most people couldn't care less about snowboarding. And - if you ask the japanese - I doubt they would say figure skating is on its way out. You have to look at it globally, but I understand it's probably because the 'promotion' you guys see is quite different to that of other countries.

Plumededragon

Medalist
Perhaps in the USA. Ski Jumping and Biathlon are THE Winter Sports in Germany, extremely popular and most people couldn't care less about snowboarding. And - if you ask the japanese - I doubt they would say figure skating is on its way out. You have to look at it globally, but I understand it's probably because the 'promotion' you guys see is quite different to that of other countries.
I agree. Here in France, biathlon is definitely the sport that will be most watched, since we have quite a number of athletes, especially Fourcade. But ice dancing will be watched closely since this is the first time in several Olympics that there’s a real chance at gold.
It all depends on the country doing the promotion.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Put me down on the list of people who will watch and enjoy biathlon more than some of the more, to me, boring free style events.

Hey.. maybe Hanyu can take over biathlon once he saves figure skating!

I believe the ratings in Canada go like this: Hockey-Figure Skating-Curling. 15 million of a population of 33 watched some part of the Gold medal Hockey game in 2014. 7 Million watched the opening ceremony. According to what I have read Hockey is also the number on draw for the USA. I will continue to do more research if I can.