Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics | Page 8 | Golden Skate

Hanyu out of Team Event at the Olympics

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
People are always amazed or freak out when they find out that Bobrova / Solovyov call themselves Olympic Champions and are asking whether there is a mistake in an article etc. :laugh: I think it is very telling about people not putting much importance into Team Event.

I agree, and I think it's telling that, on the SOI site, Wagner is described as a WSMist rather than an OBMist. It's silly to have an event in which the medals are predetermined; I think it would make the event more exciting if the rankings were based on the top 3 events.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I agree, and I think it's telling that, on the SOI site, Wagner is described as a WSMist rather than an OBMist. It's silly to have an event in which the medals are predetermined; I think it would make the event more exciting if the rankings were based on the top 3 events.

Jeremy Abbott is described as an Olympic bronze medalist, however in the list of all time SOI skaters on the Canadian site. D/R are called Olympic silver medalists, as is Kaetlyn Osmond. Actually, Ashley is just listed as US champion there.

In the US site's all-time list, Jeremy is called US champion, as are Ashley and Gracie. SO I don't know how telling it really is when there is so little consistency.

I think that whether or not the format needs to be adjusted, having another Olympic event is a good thing and a lot of the skaters take it seriously and like it. I'd guess the longer it's around, the more people will care about it.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

Yeah, but then what happens - the discipline that gets dropped out of the top 3 doesn't earn a medal for those skater(s) whose scores weren't used in the final ranking?

Spinning

On the Ice
Regardless of how some fans might view the Team Event, it seems to have been a hit with the skaters themselves.

Even the skaters from teams that had little chance of a medal seemed to like the format. It gave them a chance to get an Olympic performance under their belts before the individual event.

I might be wrong, but I don't recall a top skater from any team last Olympics that declined the opportunity to skate the Team Event.

Not sure about other teams but Team Japan definitely not like the team events much. They might not came outright complaining because the culture things. Mao said multiple times about the tough period flying in and out between the two events and how it took a toll on their bodies. Dai stated the same regarding Yuzuru's FS.

As for declining, I don't think most skaters could even if they loved to. Not many skaters have a power over their feds.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Not sure about other teams but Team Japan definitely not like the team events much. They might not came outright complaining because the culture things. Mao said multiple times about the tough period flying in and out between the two events and how it took a toll on their bodies. Dai stated the same regarding Yuzuru's FS.

As for declining, I don't think most skaters could even if they loved to. Not many skaters have a power over their feds.

On a recent IceTalk episode, Jackie Wong was talking to Brooke Castile about the team event, and they said that from the skaters they've talked to, it varied a lot. Some felt that it drained them for their individual event and said they'd never want to do it again, but others felt that it really helped them get their feet wet for their event. I know Tessa and Scott said they really liked it and that a lot of their favourite moments from Sochi were from the TE and I've heard other Canadian skaters say that they really enjoyed the opportunity to compete as a team. So I guess there's a big range of feelings about it.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I just wanted to let you all know because I feel it has been lost in all the Yuzu news. I am also withdrawing from the team event. :sarcasm:

I know we like to wring our hands and fret but Japan was unlikely to win a medal. They just do not have a strong enough pair or dance team (maybe by next quad) to challenge for a medal. Why, if Hanyu is anything less than 100% would you risk it? Why, so you can place 4 or 5th instead of maybe 6th? BTW..has anyone thought that this might be preventative? Maybe they are just trying to keep him from reinjuring himself for nothing.

Hanyu for the first two time men's championship since Dick Button. I look forward to years of him commentating with wit and flair.

da96103

Record Breaker
I guess Shoma would be in the I love Team Event group since he loves last minute competition. This is his Coupe de Printemps replacement for this year.

Latremu

Final Flight
In logic, statement 1: "A is somewhat similar to B" does not mean
Statement 2: "A has the exact same circumstances and will have the same outcomes as B".

Statement 2 is a false conclusion based on statement 1 as a premise. In other words, daphenaxa said the vibe is the same, not that everything else is or will be the same. So chill, and go eat an iced dessert. [emoji1]

Yuzuru will show us what he's capable of on Feb 16. I hope he's in good competition form.

I guess Shoma would be in the I love Team Event group since he loves last minute competition. This is his Coupe de Printemps replacement for this year.
It might be good for him. He'll get the feel of competing in that setting before the individual event. Keiji would benefit from the experience as well, if Japan makes it to the free.

There's an idea. If the team event is to be done before the individual, maybe they should just do the short programs. Less taxing prior to the individual events, and serves as a teaser for the rest of the Olympics figure skating events. Although personally I'd like it to be afterwards, as a redemption skate for those who didn't do well in the individual events.

daphenaxa

Record Breaker
agreed that the team event should be after the individuals! I like the team event but it just screws up or has the possibility to screw up the individuals and that's not really fair to anyone (the ones participating and the ones not)

Someone on another forum was also saying that besides programs, they could have to perform a set set of skills which could bring some strategizing with the selection of which skater does which skill within the team. That'd be pretty fun and it would add something other than just seeing the same programs again.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I might be wrong, but I don't recall a top skater from any team last Olympics that declined the opportunity to skate the Team Event.

Pang & Tong didn't skate for China. They had dealt with injuries. China knew they were their best bet for a medal in the pairs event. And I think due to the combination of the two, they went for the pairs event rather than the team.

I believe that Savchenko & Szolkowy also didn't skate. Germany had no hope of a medal. The pairs event is up early. And S&S prioritized it over the team competition.

charlotte14

Medalist
Why all the snide remarks towards @daphenaxa. It was an opinion regarding the similarities he/she perceived between the 2 skaters, period.
I did not see any hidden agenda or slur towards Yuzu with the posted comment. :scratch2:
I see that she might secretly hope for the same bad thing happen to some certain one :biggrin:

risingtrot

On the Ice
This is just my opinion but to be really honest, I am not so optimistic that Yuzuru will be back 100% or even 90% when he skates for the individual events. I even have a feeling that he will not allowed to do quads due to risks. Ligament injury is quite complicated and recovery much slower compared to having a small crack in the bone like what Med had. I could be wrong so we will see in a few days.

How Yuzuru's team manage this media blackout of his recovery is quite impressive though. Even local news don't have much info about his progress. Probably his training mates like Javi knows more. That said I wish Yuzuru all the best.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
This is just my opinion but to be really honest, I am not so optimistic that Yuzuru will be back 100% or even 90% when he skates for the individual events. I even have a feeling that he will not allowed to do quads due to risks. Ligament injury is quite complicated and recovery much slower compared to having a small crack in the bone like what Med had. I could be wrong so we will see in a few days.

How Yuzuru's team manage this media blackout of his recovery is quite impressive though. Even local news don't have much info about his progress. Probably his training mates like Javi knows more. That said I wish Yuzuru all the best.

Well put though perhaps speculative depending on the spin. We will all wait for the drama to unfold.

charlotte14

Medalist
If he is not allowed to do quads, then how in the world he will compete? :palmf: For sure he will do a lot of quads at the Olympics.

risingtrot

On the Ice
If he is not allowed to do quads, then how in the world he will compete? :palmf: For sure he will do a lot of quads at the Olympics.

He will be there to compete. However, if he is not in good shape, he can't win with other skaters having quads and in greater shape than he is. That said it is an assumption and like I said I could be wrong. Please feel free to share a recent video of him skating combinations and a quad when you find one.

Also just because a skater can't win or is not a medal contender they can not compete in the Olympics. It's a competition free for all. It's not just about winning for some.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
He will be there to compete. However, if he is not in good shape, he can't win with other skaters having quads and in greater shape than he is. That said it is an assumption and like I said I could be wrong. Please feel free to share a recent video of him skating combinations and a quad when you find one.

Also just because a skater can't win or is not a medal contender they can not compete in the Olympics. It's a competition free for all. It's not just about winning for some.

But for Yuzuru it is. So why would he go compete if he can't land a single quad? It'd be humiliating for him. If he's still in such bad condition he isn't allowed to do quads, I'd expect him to have withdrawn already.

charlotte14

Medalist
But for Yuzuru it is. So why would he go compete if he can't land a single quad? It'd be humiliating for him. If he's still in such bad condition he isn't allowed to do quads, I'd expect him to have withdrawn already.
Exactly, Hanyu would not go to the Olympics if he were not allowed to do quads.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
FWIW, sports analytics firm Gracenote has picked Japan to win silver in team figure skating.

Hanyu was their original pick for gold in men's individual, but has now moved behind Fernandez.