2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3 | Page 113 | Golden Skate

2018 Olympic Figure Skating Team Event Day 3

millie

Medalist
I think Eteri would cancel 3A class and offer 4S class straightaway.

Ladies skating in the next 4 years:

Russian quads vs American/Japanese triple axels.

Are you forgetting Canada. Daleman is working on the quad, doing it successfully in practice.

Putina

On the Ice
Point number 3.....Patrick is already going out on a high note. Did you forget he already won a gold medal..

Point number 4......She has a naturally fit body and don’t need no dope, so don’t worry about controversy. Canada nor she is not that stupid.

Eh. Chan is not "out" yet and has some more skating to do. And I have no idea who you have in mind as to the "Point number 4.." but I did not have anyone specific in mind. (to be frank I see several) Of course drug use does not always manifest in the appearance, so you can never be certain without a thorough test. I am just curious how it is going to be handled, considering the recent controversy of state-sponsored doping by Russia.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Man, you might not like backloading. Or Don Quixote. Or ballet. Or the tutu. Or her posture. Her skating skills need work in depth of edge and smoothness. But Alina definitely skates to the music, even the busy step sequence is to the music. The spins are highlighted in the music, as are all her arm movements. Not just the last 5 jumping passes, but the 3Lz-3Lo at the crescendos and with the diminuendo in the music is placed in between the 2 jumps in the combo. Her transition, that counter into 2A-3T is right with the music as well. Even the illusion into the layback is timed with the music. So many small details that are amazing. It's so lovely to see someone actually skate to the music with the elements times properly, unlike many others who jump and spin and do crossovers wherever they want. That being said, her program at Euro's was much better and her expressions were so much more Kitri. Here, she was rushed and the smile as forced, the flirty expression at the beginning of the step sequence was nonexistent. Her score here should have been lower than at Euros, but Olympic inflation is real. Evgenia getting a WR for a SP that she has done better before already set the tone. Mirai being so close to Gabby was also confusing - the transitions that Mirai lack are also not present in Gabby's program and Mirai had higher tech, that 3A was history.

5. I kind of hope the rink was bigger to accomodate the speed required for big jumps.

This came up before, so I tried to look it up. The official Olympic rules are that the ice surface must be between 56 and 60 meters long by 26 to 30 meters wide. It should be the full 60x30 "except in unusual circumstances." The unusual circumstances are unspecified, but I assume they have to do with building over existing construction, or something like that. As far as i can tell the surface at Pyeongchnag follows the IOC requirements of 60x30.

Bcash

Final Flight
A couple of observation after catching up with the videos:

1. NBC just does not know how to film skating events. They completely fail to capture the skaters' speed across the ice.
2. The audience at the rink was very supportive and well-mannered, which is refreshing and relieving. Shame that the event had to take place in the morning hours to appease the U.S. audience. Thankfully the skaters seem to have adapted to the schedule and the performance was much better than the first day's.
3. Patric Chan's effortless glide on the ice is a thing of beauty. I hope he can land his Axels in the individual events and end his career on a high note.
4. I still see some skaters with unnaturally fit bodies. It will be interesting to see how/whether the doping test will bring any controversy after the event.
5. I kind of hope the rink was bigger to accomodate the speed required for big jumps.
6. Oh and Ms. Belbin is much more pleasant to listen to than Ms. Lipinski.

I noticed the speed thing too. Savchenko/Massot looked like they had glue on their blades. But isn't the feed coming from the arena the same for all broadcasters?

DawnQOT

Rinkside
Point number 1. I don’t think you can blame NBC for the filming. I think (note that I said think) that all the networks get the same feed of the actual program. Some camera angles are only made available for the technical panel. Networks use their own camera people to film their commentators and interviews.

Putina

On the Ice
This came up before, so I tried to look it up. The official Olympic rules are that the ice surface must be between 56 and 60 meters long by 26 to 30 meters wide. It should be the full 60x30 "except in unusual circumstances." The unusual circumstances are unspecified, but I assume they have to do with building over existing construction, or something like that. As far as i can tell the surface at Pyeongchnag follows the IOC requirements of 60x30.

Oh I have no doubt the rink size is standardized and the event being the Olympics there is no way it was not prepared ahead. I guess I should have worded my original post differentlyin that I wished the rink were a bit larger to accomodate some big jumps. (think Boyang Jin's 4Lz)

I noticed the speed thing too. Savchenko/Massot looked like they had glue on their blades. But isn't the feed coming from the arena the same for all broadcasters?

Point number 1. I don’t think you can blame NBC for the filming. I think (note that I said think) that all the networks get the same feed of the actual program. Some camera angles are only made available for the technical panel. Networks use their own camera people to film their commentators and interviews.

I used to think the feed are shared by all the broadcasters in the past but I see several different feeds, albeit not as many as there are broadcasters? In these Olympics I saw Russian versions and Canadian versions as well as NBC versions. IMO NBC has been traditionally the worst, and the Japanese version being the best, with everyone else in between.

Putina

On the Ice
Does the 2nd half bonus apply to the base value of a jump or the base value and a GOE combined?

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
None of her girls are attempting the 3A.

Incorrect. Kostornaya is working on the 3A and says she's landed it in practice. My Russian is limited so from what I got, it's just not pretty and needs work. She intends to do that during the off-season as for obvious reasons now is not the right time.

da96103

Record Breaker
Are you forgetting Canada. Daleman is working on the quad, doing it successfully in practice.

I did not know about Daleman. Thanks for pointing that out. Is she working on 4T? She will be the first lady to land it.

crimson-faith

Spectator
I did not know about Daleman. Thanks for pointing that out. Is she working on 4T? She will be the first lady to land it.

I hope she decides to go for the 4T. I just want to see someone land it. Maybe in the LP if everyone else hits before it, she may decide to just throw it.

alyssamarie

On the Ice
Country
United-States
Gabby is working on her 4t. I've seen her practice (via snap) and it's getting better, but i wouldn't call it consistent. Maybe she'll surprise us during the lp?

Blondie12

On the Ice
where can i see the medal ceremony for team? someone mentioned "videos" on here but where is it at? I looked on nbc olympics and they don't seem to have itt.