New documentary about Evgenia and Alina | Page 7 | Golden Skate

New documentary about Evgenia and Alina

concorde

Medalist
I Alina read this forum I bet should laugh hard at this discussion...

I think you misunderstood what I meant. Alina may not love ice skating (lacks the pasdion for it) but she is determined to win (so that she can provide for her family). Both are motivators and who is to say which is better.

My money is on Alina for gold.

madison

Record Breaker
I think you misunderstood what I meant. Alina may not love ice skating (lacks the pasdion for it) but she is determined to win (so that she can provide for her family). Both are motivators and who is to say which is better.

My money is on Alina for gold.

She decided to quit because she was expelled by Eteri, injured and convinced that she will not succeed. In fact her family was convinced at that moment.
And I don't think that her family situation is so dramatic that she has to provide for them.

russianfan

Match Penalty
I just don't think Zag has it - if she did, she would have never considered quitting awhile back.

wouldn't you consider quitting after you break your hand and leg, and then after some time the best coach in the country(probably also in the world) decides to kick you out?

concorde

Medalist
wouldn't you consider quitting after you break your hand and leg, and then after some time the best coach in the country(probably also in the world) decides to kick you out?

I am not critizing her for thinking about quitting.

I just think the fun/passion is gone and now she views skating as a "job." Lots of people go to work everyday and they are not having fun but they are doing it to provide better for their family.

I am not a fluent Russian speaker so I had to rely on subtitles. Maybe what Alina actually said vs the subtitles got lost in translation.

madison

Record Breaker
I am not critizing her for thinking about quitting.

I just think the fun/passion is gone and now she views skating as a "job." Lots of people go to work everyday and they are not having fun but they are doing it to provide better for their family.

I am not a fluent Russian speaker so I had to rely on subtitles. Maybe what Alina actually said vs the subtitles got lost in translation.

It's obvious that it's not all fun for none of the skaters. They have to overcome injuries, pain, strict diet and so on. And not only for Alina.
It's difficult to tell what is the strongest motivator for any of them.
They start to skate around 4 years old so it's hard for them to imagine life without doing that. It's probably like walking.
In the previous post, I wanted to underline that she considered quitting not because she lacked passion, but for other reasons.

Seruleane

Final Flight
Thanks to the poster who found the video! It was very interesting, and I wish they would show things like this in the US. It is far more interesting to me to see how skaters are training and interacting with their coaches, than to hear all the promotional hype that we have in the US.

I'm not going to repeat all the sentiments that have already been stated in this thread, but I did find it interesting how the video kind of portrays Alina as an underdog. For many people not familiar with figure skating (and just tune in every 4 years for Olympics), Alina's backstory and her interaction with Eteri (who seems to favor Evgenia) are going to draw lots of sympathy points. Btw, I don't think Eteri was being unnecessarily harsh at all. I actually think Eteri would agree with all the criticism of Alina on this board that she doesn't finish her movements and doesn't seem to express the music fully. It was clear that she feels there is still a lot for Alina to improve on, whereas Evgenia embodies her ideal. Finally, Evgenia's competitive mindset and work ethic are just amazing. She seems like the kind of person who would succeed in anything she puts her mind to. I foresee a great future for her, no matter what happens at this Olympics.