New documentary about Evgenia and Alina | Page 2 | Golden Skate

New documentary about Evgenia and Alina

tjb

Match Penalty
3:52 sasha falling on a 4S on the harness.
documentary was filmed in december 2016. in march 2017 sasha has landed her first 4S at practice:cool:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Have you guys noticed, how Eteri talks to Zhenya and Alina in two completely different ways? :think:

Her tone towards Medvedeva is understanding, calm and affectionate, while rather harsh and mocking towards Zagitova.
I wonder, if it's because of her personal preference for a pupil or psychological approach suitable for a specific skater.

I think this documentary shows the reason why Eteri seems to be harsher with Alina: Alina tends to lose focus more easily than Zhenya and to forget corrections, while Evgenia is already incredibly hard on herself and more focused - when Eteri suggested she wanted to rest she was adamant she didn't want to, even interrupting Eteri.

I do think Eteri is perhaps closer to Evgenia since she has trained her for a longer time and maybe they have more similar personalities, but I think her corrections to Alina, while harsh, were to help her improve. And improve she did.

tjb

Match Penalty
3:52 sasha falling on a 4S on the harness.
documentary was filmed in december 2016. in march 2017 sasha has landed her first 4S at practice:cool:

oops, i didn't paid attention. it was definitely a 3A. so i still wondering when sasha started to train her quads.

Basho

Rinkside
What I got was Evgenia follows directions and makes corrections more quickly and Alina is not remembering as easily or has a stubborn streak. Maybe they have different learning styles or it's a maturity factor.

millie

Medalist
Those little girls are sent there by whomever. They are too young to make that decision on there own. They are living away from their parents and no one to run to when they are hurting and in pain. Only somone shouting at them to get over it or get out. You can see the hurt and pain especially in Alaina. In the Western world, IMO, that would be grounds for abuse. In the movie "I Tonya", there was abuse by the mother......in this documentary, there is abuse by Eteri. That's why they are so good at what they do, they are hardened. IMO, if Alaina wins the OGM, she's outa there. Good luck to her. Imagine at 18 saying that you're old, where there is Kostner 31 And still strong....Go Figure.

GGFan

Record Breaker
Those little girls are sent there by whomever. They are too young to make that decision on there own. They are living away from their parents and no one to run to when they are hurting and in pain. Only somone shouting at them to get over it or get out. You can see the hurt and pain especially in Alaina. In the Western world, IMO, that would be grounds for abuse. In the movie "I Tonya", there was abuse by the mother......in this documentary, there is abuse by Metri. That's why they are so good at what they do, they are hardened. IMO, if Alaina wins the OGM, she's outa there. Good luck to her. Imagine at 18 saying that you're old, where there is Kostner 31 And still strong....Go Figure.

I think if you're gonna go there then you have to question elite training in most disciplines. If you look at the movie Whiplash it asks this question: Are the hours and obsession that are part of achieving greatness worth it? There are things that are required at this level that I wouldn't be willing to engage in. But thats why I'm not a top athlete.

That actually has little to do with Eteri. I did not witness anything abusive. Unless we're saying that young athletes of a certain age should not train at this level and get feedback. That's a valid discussion to have, but I wouldn't single out Eteri given that I've seen much worse.

madison

Record Breaker
The documentary is old... i think things really changed between Alina and Eteri lately. She doesn't seem so scared of Eteri now and this was confirmed in her interviews.
And of course, both Zhenia and Alina might have changed a lot during last year... as both experienced many things: success, injuries, failures.

Anni234

Ina Bauer
Record Breaker
Country
Estonia
I had a busy weekend and couldn't watch it straight away. The video has since been removed, is there any way to still watch it? :eek:hwell:

russianfan

Match Penalty
Those little girls are sent there by whomever. They are too young to make that decision on there own. They are living away from their parents and no one to run to when they are hurting and in pain. Only somone shouting at them to get over it or get out. You can see the hurt and pain especially in Alaina. In the Western world, IMO, that would be grounds for abuse. In the movie "I Tonya", there was abuse by the mother......in this documentary, there is abuse by Metri. That's why they are so good at what they do, they are hardened. IMO, if Alaina wins the OGM, she's outa there. Good luck to her. Imagine at 18 saying that you're old, where there is Kostner 31 And still strong....Go Figure.

who are you talking about?

Warwick360

Medalist
I felt traumatised simply hearing the appraisal Eteri was giving Zagitova. :laugh2:

My above comment isn't supposed to be a criticism of Eteri or her methods, but simply a realisation of the kind of pressure these girls are facing. I think I'd rather face Medusa's stare than having to get a dressing down from Eteri. :slink:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I felt traumatised simply hearing the appraisal Eteri was giving Zagitova. :laugh2:

My above comment isn't supposed to be a criticism of Eteri or her methods, but simply a realisation of the kind of pressure these girls are facing. I think I'd rather face Medusa's stare than having to get a dressing down from Eteri. :slink:

I think it's also a bit of a cultural difference.
Russian teachers and coaches are known for being more direct and "harsh" in their commentary. They're very blunt and no-nonsense.
Whereas here in America, little kids go crying to Mom if coach doesn't praise all the time (sorry but it's true)

Warwick360

Medalist
I think it's also a bit of a cultural difference.
Russian teachers and coaches are known for being more direct and "harsh" in their commentary. They're very blunt and no-nonsense.
Whereas here in America, little kids go crying to Mom if coach doesn't praise all the time (sorry but it's true)

I wasn't talking from American perspective. I've had to go through this myself in the past, as did most school kids from where I originally was from. It's not fun, and it sure brings strong memories about how it wasn't fun as one might have thought of the childhood days. :laugh2:

But still, a bit harsh, when put into context of how the coaching approaches are when regards to other top skaters. I wouldn't imagine this approach working on Hanyu for example or many other skaters at the top of their game. But at least in this case, the results show I guess.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Those little girls are sent there by whomever. They are too young to make that decision on there own. They are living away from their parents and no one to run to when they are hurting and in pain. Only somone shouting at them to get over it or get out. You can see the hurt and pain especially in Alaina. In the Western world, IMO, that would be grounds for abuse. In the movie "I Tonya", there was abuse by the mother......in this documentary, there is abuse by Eteri. That's why they are so good at what they do, they are hardened. IMO, if Alaina wins the OGM, she's outa there. Good luck to her. Imagine at 18 saying that you're old, where there is Kostner 31 And still strong....Go Figure.

You could have written all of that about US gymnastics. And most of them live at home with their parents. Evgenia lives with her mom & always has, Alina at least has her grandmother with her.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
Same goes for gymnastics or any sport that a child is belittled or abused in any way...shouldn't be allowed.

Eteri is strict, undoubtedly, but I saw nothing that crossed a line in this video. The feedback on Alina's skating was blunt and not sugarcoated in the slightest, but what do you expect? She isn't running classes for hobbyists, but for skaters who want to be the very best in the world. If you want to be at the top of any sport, or any other competitive discipline like dance, you have to get used to hearing such harsh truths and not being coddled.

That's not to say she hasn't done some iffy things in all her time as a coach, but from some of the comments here, I expected a lot worse.

Manitou

Medalist
Same goes for gymnastics or any sport that a child is belittled or abused in any way...shouldn't be allowed.

This is not a rec activity where everybody gets a trophy and a “good job” encouragement for participation. If they can’t take it then the door out is wide open. This is not a slavery.

In my times the teachers never smiled, I had to stand up when they entered the classroom or they talked to me, I could never speak first and had to answer precisely and in full sentences when asked. And had to say “sir”or “professor” at the end. In my times when I failed I was told I failed. And also told why and where I failed.
I am very glad I was raised and educated in those times.

I will say a little anecdote about the US and the entire snowflake generation:
Math test from the 1950s: a lumberjack sold wood for $165. His own cost was 73% of the total sale value. How much money did he earn?
The same test in the 1980s: a lumberjack sold wood for $100. His own cost was $80. How much money did he make?
2000s: a lumberjack sold wood for $100. His own cost was $80 and as a result he earned $20. Circle number $20.
2018: a lumberjack sold wood for $100 and earned $20. Color the lumberjack.
5 years from now: a happy lumberjack went to the woods. Color the lumberjack.

I am happy there are cultures that are still in the 50s regarding education, work ethics and personal character building.