New documentary about Evgenia and Alina | Page 4 | Golden Skate

New documentary about Evgenia and Alina

millie

Medalist
Does this make it right or what she is doing to those girls will have effects on them for the rest of their lives. Look at the track record of most of those little girls that come through that system. They are finished before pubety..Like the comment that Evegina made about she is getting old at 18 years old. Here is Kostner competing at age 31. This is because of the little babies just out of preschool doing triple triples. IMO, they they are scarred.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does this make it right or what she is doing to those girls will have effects on them for the rest of their lives. Look at the track record of most of those little girls that come through that system. They are finished before pubety..Like the comment that Evegina made about she is getting old at 18 years old. Here is Kostner competing at age 31. This is because of the little babies just out of preschool doing triple triples. IMO, they they are scared.

Tara Lipinski was finished by the time she turned 16 and though she drives me crazy, she's had a successful career. As to why Carolina has had such a long career....One could say she's had an easier path to success than the Russian Girls. Tuk was a World Champion and she didn't even make the team. There's a lot more stress involved when you're from a country that has so many talented skaters. There are also very talented juniors that seem to knock a senior off the team every year.

Who knows who'll make the team next year. I never thought that Pogo, Rad, and Tuk would miss the team completely. She has to prepare these girls for battle. If they miss a jump, there's a very good chance they won't make the team.

madison

Record Breaker
Tara Lipinski was finished by the time she turned 16 and though she drives me crazy, she's had a successful career. As to why Carolina has had such a long career....One could say she's had an easier path to success than the Russian Girls. Tuk was a World Champion and she didn't even make the team. There's a lot more stress involved when you're from a country that has so many talented skaters. There are also very talented juniors that seem to knock a senior off the team every year.

Who knows who'll make the team next year. I never thought that Pogo, Rad, and Tuk would miss the team completely. She has to prepare these girls for battle. If they miss a jump, there's a very good chance they won't make the team.

Yes, but the fact is that she's not preparing all the time the girls for the battles. i think it's a weakness... for example, Medvedeva is lagging behind when it comes to tech content comparing to Zagitova and the same will happen with Zagitova in 2 years when Trusova, Kostornaya and others will be seniors. And this doesn't happen because Med would not able to perform harder jumps or combo but just because she isn't prepared in advance by her coaching team. She has the same layout for 3-4 years already.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Does this make it right or what she is doing to those girls will have effects on them for the rest of their lives. Look at the track record of most of those little girls that come through that system. They are finished before pubety..Like the comment that Evegina made about she is getting old at 18 years old. Here is Kostner competing at age 31. This is because of the little babies just out of preschool doing triple triples. IMO, they they are scarred.

But Eteri's girls are not the only one who finish their career very young. It is like that with many girls, who train with many different coaches, in different countries. It has been part of figure skating for a long time. It is kind of natural in this sport and it is usual. I would not blame just Eteri and not even coaches in general for pushing too hard. Little girls start very young (in some sports people can start at 12 or even 15 and become champions later). Some of the best land triples by the age or 8 or 9 maybe. Start competing internationally at 13 or 14. Then they become champions by the age of 15-18 ( For example in athletics they have championships for athletes under 23 years of age.). We could discuss for hours whether it is wrong or what could be done to change it. This is just how the whole system works.

Sophie-Anna

Medalist
Yes, but the fact is that she's not preparing all the time the girls for the battles. i think it's a weakness... for example, Medvedeva is lagging behind when it comes to tech content comparing to Zagitova and the same will happen with Zagitova in 2 years when Trusova, Kostornaya and others will be seniors. And this doesn't happen because Med would not able to perform harder jumps or combo but just because she isn't prepared in advance by her coaching team. She has the same layout for 3-4 years already.

I was wondering that maybe coaches and choreographers were worried that Alina won't be able to get PCS as high as older and more mature skaters, and as a reason Alina has a program full of backloading. It increases her TES leading to the erasure of the disadvantage she might have in PCS. But that is just my theory which can be completely different from actual reasons.

mrrice

Record Breaker
But Eteri's girls are not the only one who finish their career very young. It is like that with many girls, who train with many different coaches, in different countries. It has been part of figure skating for a long time. Itis kind of natural in this sport and it is usual. I would not blame just Eteri and not even coaches for pushing too hard. Little girls start very young (in some sports people can start at 12 or even 15 and become champions later). Some of the best land triples by the age or 8 or 9 maybe. Start competing internationally at 13 or 14. Then they become champions by the age of 15-18 ( For example in athletics they have championships for athletes under 23 years of age.). We could discuss for hours whether it is wrong or what could be done to change it. This is just how the whole system works.

We also need to remember that some skaters continue because the missed their first chance at their dream. I have to wonder how long Michelle Kwan would have stayed active had she won the Olympics in 1998. I think coming so close to her dream kept her motivated to continue. I feel the same way about Maria Butyrskaya. She admitted that she would have retired after 1999 had she won a medal "of any color" in 1998. Remember, that was the year she finished 4th and just missed the podium.

madison

Record Breaker
I was wondering that maybe coaches and choreographers were worried that Alina won't be able to get PCS as high as older and more mature skaters, and as a reason Alina has a program full of backloading. It increases her TES leading to the erasure of the disadvantage she might have in PCS. But that is just my theory which can be completely different from actual reasons.

An increase in TES comes almost always with an increase in PCS.

The idea is that once the skaters get to the top, they stop to develop them at least when it comes to tech content. I think a skater should try to progress even if she/he is in top both artistically and technically. In theory. But it is hard to find the right balance between trying new elements and staying injury free.

tjb

Match Penalty
in a developed sport it's a norm that the next generation of athletes is better than the previous one, and the generation changes are happening quickly.
it's easy to have a long career if you a skater from a country where good skater's are appearing just once in awhile. everyone could be carolina or butyrskaya when the young generation is not chasing you

Lillebror

Rinkside
Hello,
I understand that it‘s a very tough sport and that you have to work over and over again and that your program needs to be analyzed into very exactly, but I don‘t know why it isn‘t done in a more neutral tone. They are not misbehaving kids. I would feel very ashamed if scenes like this were shown about me.

SkaterX

On the Ice
I think the minimum age for the Olympics should be increased to 18. This would change the training approach to avoid burnout at such a young age and allow the athletes to take more control.

TunaKeem

Rinkside
I think the minimum age for the Olympics should be increased to 18. This would change the training approach to avoid burnout at such a young age and allow the athletes to take more control.

Just a thought on the posts above. I think the issue here is Russia coaches for the future whereas other countries coach for the present. Alina said that she has been with Eteri since she was 6. She's not coaching 6 year-olds to be competitive now, she wants them to be competitive in 10-12 years when the sport as a whole has moved ahead. I see that with Trusova attempting the hardest triple-triples and even a quad and perhaps a quad-combination. It seems other countries train with the benchmark being the current skating climate and that is why you see countries who don't put as much resources into figure skating who hold onto older skaters. I don't doubt for a second that if Italy had a 16 year old Alina Zagitova, they would replace Carolina in a second.

That being said, I do agree with raising the age limit for senior level competitions. I think we have seen a lot of this happening to young promising skaters who then go through puberty and their bodies change and they have to relearn jumps to accommodate their new body type.

Manitou

Medalist

18 might be too much, but I agree that something more than 15 should be imposed. I am not an expert on human growth biology or psychology, but to me 17 seems to be the age when a statistical girl turns to a young adult woman. Same with guys.
Although, nowadays the maturity age appears to be happening around 40...

madison

Record Breaker
in a developed sport it's a norm that the next generation of athletes is better than the previous one, and the generation changes are happening quickly.
it's easy to have a long career if you a skater from a country where good skater's are appearing just once in awhile. everyone could be carolina or butyrskaya when the young generation is not chasing you

But why isn't possible for older generation to improve? For example, in tennis, Roger Federer is one of the oldest and still winning Grand Slams.

somelikeitpink

On the Ice
But why isn't possible for older generation to improve? For example, in tennis, Roger Federer is one of the oldest and still winning Grand Slams.

I'm by no means an expert but my assumption is that it depends on the nature of the sport. In tennis strength and endurance and tactics plays a much larger role - all things that can actually improve when you get older.

In skating where a lot of it is based on flexibility - thats something you simply loose over time. You can try to obviously later in the career try and base it more around your strength and mature performance but its harder to improve later. Idk if i'm explaining this right. But like.. you'll have a hard time learning a quad with 20 something. simply because of physical limitations.

ranjake

Final Flight
That was lovely- thanks for sharing! I love them both- and I like Eteri, too. I'm crazy about Evgenia's personality. And Jerry! :)