New documentary about Evgenia and Alina | Page 5 | Golden Skate

New documentary about Evgenia and Alina

moriel

Record Breaker
Does the parents of Evegina and Alaina pay for Eteri to coach them or is it paid by the Federation? The reason I ask this is because of the comment Alaina made in the documentary that she is doing this for her parents to help them. Just asking!

You keep misspelling the names of the skaters consistently across your posts. It is not a typo, as you did it at least 3 times. It is ALINA Zagitova.

Now, answering your question: Eteri is paid by the russian government.
So in case of Alina, she trains basically for free, and the money she earns winning stuff can be used to help her family financially. This is actually the situation of many other skaters - for example, afair, Sotnikova's sister has health issues, and Adelina's prize money helped to sort those out.
Also, since the government doesnt pay the coaches so well, and they make a lot less money than their western counterparts, its a common practice for skaters to share prize money with their coaches.

cell

On the Ice
You keep misspelling the names of the skaters consistently across your posts. It is not a typo, as you did it at least 3 times. It is ALINA Zagitova.

Now, answering your question: Eteri is paid by the russian government.
So in case of Alina, she trains basically for free, and the money she earns winning stuff can be used to help her family financially. This is actually the situation of many other skaters - for example, afair, Sotnikova's sister has health issues, and Adelina's prize money helped to sort those out.
Also, since the government doesnt pay the coaches so well, and they make a lot less money than their western counterparts, its a common practice for skaters to share prize money with their coaches.

Yes, but what percentage of the prize money does Alina have to give to the federation?

Elucidus

Match Penalty
So in case of Alina, she trains basically for free, and the money she earns winning stuff can be used to help her family financially.

Not only that. All top skaters (even underage, afaik) has rather decent salary paid by russian goverment every month - even in summer when they are not performing. Also medical services/education are free for them too. So it's not only prize money they benefit from.

Sugarpova

#EmpressAirlines #SinKatsapologist
Record Breaker
This is not a rec activity where everybody gets a trophy and a “good job” encouragement for participation. If they can’t take it then the door out is wide open. This is not a slavery.

In my times the teachers never smiled, I had to stand up when they entered the classroom or they talked to me, I could never speak first and had to answer precisely and in full sentences when asked. And had to say “sir”or “professor” at the end. In my times when I failed I was told I failed. And also told why and where I failed.
I am very glad I was raised and educated in those times.

I will say a little anecdote about the US and the entire snowflake generation:
Math test from the 1950s: a lumberjack sold wood for $100. His own cost was 80% of the total sale value. How much money did he earn?
The same test in the 1980s: a lumberjack sold wood for $100. His own cost was $80. How much money did he make?
2000s: a lumberjack sold wood for $100. His own cost was $80 and as a result he earned $20. Circle number $20.
2018: a lumberjack sold wood for $100 and earned $20. Color the lumberjack.
5 years from now: a happy lumberjack went to the woods. Color the lumberjack.

I am happy there are cultures that are still in the 50s regarding education, work ethics and personal character building.
omg dont remind me of our education system fail :laugh: since we adopted that western test system thingy :sad21::mad:

on topic great docu
Im the Alina type totally!:laugh: I need to be told several times & then some more:laugh:
poor bb I understand her!:luv17:

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
Does this make it right or what she is doing to those girls will have effects on them for the rest of their lives. Look at the track record of most of those little girls that come through that system. They are finished before pubety..Like the comment that Evegina made about she is getting old at 18 years old. Here is Kostner competing at age 31. This is because of the little babies just out of preschool doing triple triples. IMO, they they are scarred.

She was laughing in that comment!! 🤦🏻*♀️

But to play devil’s advocate, think how many sports are indeed finished by early adulthood, at least at an elite level. Especially in countries with no collegiate programs, many kids are left to focus on tertiary studies and revert to recreational sport by 18.
Let’s say that both Zhenya and Alina are done after these games. Both have Olympic medals, the government gifts that come with that, probable endorsements, opportunities to skate in shows....AND they are already receiving their schooling (Zhenya is studying at a post high school level or is set to, to the best of my knowledge).

I think we all need to calm down...these guys are obviously happy to train hard, work hard, and be held to high standards.
Shouldn’t we be not only applauding this but also worried that the rest of society’s youth are becoming so soft that a little constructive criticism sends them into a downward spiral fixed only by a Facebook rant?

Eteri - to the best of our knowledge- is doing nothing to these girls other than coaching them strictly - an approach many athletes prefer over the “soft touch”.

TheCzar

On the Ice
What I took away from this is that the hate on Zagitova's strategy makes me want her to win even more. The importance of winning for her means a better life for her family, hence why she's agreed to this strategy with the team to maximise that possibility. As much as you hate it, that revelation makes the whole thing even more impressive. The intense pressure she must have on top of 8 jumping passes- Jesus.

I don't know that Alina should stay with Eteri after the Games. She seems obviously to favour Medvedeva, and that's very obvious. Perhaps Alina is a tad more prone to losing focus, but I found the treatment towards her quite condescending. Alina's body language towards Eteri is worrying.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
What I took away from this is that the hate on Zagitova's strategy makes me want her to win even more. The importance of winning for her means a better life for her family, hence why she's agreed to this strategy with the team to maximise that possibility. As much as you hate it, that revelation makes the whole thing even more impressive. The intense pressure she must have on top of 8 jumping passes- Jesus.

I don't know that Alina should stay with Eteri after the Games. She seems obviously to favour Medvedeva, and that's very obvious. Perhaps Alina is a tad more prone to losing focus, but I found the treatment towards her quite condescending. Alina's body language towards Eteri is worrying.

This may just be an English thing but just so you know the way you have put the first paragraph makes it look like it's a quote from Jesus. Unless your name is Jesus (which is possible).

As an example:

Courage is the resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain.

Just letting you know for future reference.

Last edited:

TheCzar

On the Ice
This may just be an English thing but just so you know the way you have put the first paragraph makes it look like it's a quote from Jesus. Unless your name is Jesus (which is possible).

As an example:

Courage is the resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain.

Just letting you know for future reference.

Maybe I am :p Perhaps I should have put an exclamation point instead of a full stop to convey my sense of despair.

millie

Medalist

Finally, someone sees what I see in this documentary. I hope Alina wins and gets as far away as she can get from Eteri, if not, she is going to have PSTD/Complex Trauma after the years of this abuse. If someone sent this video to Human Rights, I think it would be investigated...that’s my opinion.

TheCzar

On the Ice
Finally, someone sees what I see in this documentary. I hope Alina wins and gets as far away as she can get from Eteri, if not, she is going to have PSTD/Complex Trauma after the years of this abuse. If someone sent this video to Human Rights, I think it would be investigated...that’s my opinion.

Honestly, I feel that if Alina won she wouldn't get the praise she deserves because she would have stolen Medvedeva's thunder. If she crumbles under the pressure, she'll either get a lot of telling off or be expelled when she goes back to Russia because she failed to deliver. We all saw Eteri's face when Alina won at Europeans. She's probably a ticking emotional timebomb, and Eteri hovers around like a black cloud. It sounds facetious but these two together do not give me the assurance that Alina is with the right team. I'd hate for her to be like Julia. Thankfully, DannyG seems to be there to be a sort of cushion for the blows.

It may have been the editing, but it showed a somewhat more sinister side than intended if that wasn't the case.

If only they were allowed to choose a different coach. She would do well with Arutunian.

Manitou

Medalist
.... if Alina won she wouldn't get the praise she deserves because she would have stolen Medvedeva's thunder. If she crumbles under the pressure, she'll either get a lot of telling off or be expelled when she goes back to Russia because she failed to deliver.

How do you know all that? Or is it just your own guess?

zytolda

On the Ice

I think that Alina has very good relationship with Danil; with Eteri - not so much. And now when she is real danger to Evegnia OGM is more obvious to see the tention