New documentary about Evgenia and Alina | Page 6 | Golden Skate

New documentary about Evgenia and Alina

madison

Record Breaker
The documentary is pretty old and it's not accurate for the present times. Now, Alina seems more relaxed with Eteri.
Gracie didn't have results anymore ... i think all it will be ok as long as Alina has good results.
I admit that Eteri seemed really biased towards Evgenia at Europeans, but this doesn't mean that she is against Alina.
Besides, in the coaching team there are Sergei and Daniil... She seems to have good relationships with them. Sergei seems very reliable by any means and very professional. And Daniil seems to find the common language with her... So I don't see anything to worry about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Imagine

Medalist
Jesus...Eteri is an evil witch for training multiple OGM caliber students? Now if she smiles at one, the other is automatically the one she hates? C’mon...

madison

Record Breaker
I think that Alina has very good relationship with Danil; with Eteri - not so much. And now when she is real danger to Evegnia OGM is more obvious to see the tention

And there is also Sergei in the team. She seems more close to him lately and he really looks really professional and reliable.

millie

Medalist
The documentary is pretty old and it's not accurate for the present times. Now, Alina seems more relaxed with Eteri.
Gracie didn't have results anymore ... i think all it will be ok as long as Alina has good results.
I admit that Eteri seemed really biased towards Evgenia at Europeans, but this doesn't mean that she is against Alina.
Besides, in the coaching team there are Sergei and Daniil... She seems to have good relationships with them. Sergei seems very reliable by any means and very professional. And Daniil seems to find the common language with her... So I don't see anything to worry about.

I just rewatched the video to make sure....The video is fairly recent...2017 competitions and recent videos also.

anyanka

Record Breaker
This is not a rec activity where everybody gets a trophy and a “good job” encouragement for participation. If they can’t take it then the door out is wide open. This is not a slavery.

In my times the teachers never smiled, I had to stand up when they entered the classroom or they talked to me, I could never speak first and had to answer precisely and in full sentences when asked. And had to say “sir”or “professor” at the end. In my times when I failed I was told I failed. And also told why and where I failed.
I am very glad I was raised and educated in those times.

This is also the case in a lot of Asian cultures. When a teacher enters, everyone stands at attention and greets him or her in unison, and takes their seats at the same time. Still the same thing today as it has been for decades.

moriel

Record Breaker
Huh? Some students come to Eteri, some students leave her, she isn't holding them in chains.

And not only this, but there is this little thing - who is going to pay for Alina to be coached by Arturian?
Because average income in Russia, specially not in Moscow, is pretty low, and its very doubtful that her family has the money to send her overseas and pay for her living and coaching there.

moriel

Record Breaker
Not only that. All top skaters (even underage, afaik) has rather decent salary paid by russian goverment every month - even in summer when they are not performing. Also medical services/education are free for them too. So it's not only prize money they benefit from.

Well, tbh medical services and education are free in russia, for athletes and random people.

concorde

Medalist
My take on the video.

Med has a passion for ice skating which drives her. It looks like she is very happy in her current living situation (between her mom and her dog). She is a happy place in her life right now. :)

Zag is very good at skating but she has lost the passion for skating long ago. At the current time, she is skating not for herself but for her family so that they can have a better living situation. The weight of the world is on her shoulders. :sad21: Poor girl.

treeloving

Medalist
Oh, I hope it is edited to create a binary story of perfect student princess Evgenia and poor underdog Alina. Otherwise, I would feel really bad about Alina. She is so sensitive and emotional, I am not sure if this kind of training condition are good for her mental health.

mrrice

Record Breaker
But why isn't possible for older generation to improve? For example, in tennis, Roger Federer is one of the oldest and still winning Grand Slams.

I agree. Venus Williams just lead the US to a fed cup victory and she's almost 37 years old.

moriel

Record Breaker
try keep away from that free medicine

I dunno, its better than in most countries ive been =)
Most of my russian family and friends use it.

Well, yeah, not medicine in famous clinics in Israel and Germany, but pretty decent overall.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Zag is very good at skating but she has lost the passion for skating long ago.

I couldn't disagree more. Without passion, she could not have moved to the top of Eteri's group. She comes across as a bit rehearsed, but I think that's merely a combination of nerves and her age.

concorde

Medalist
I couldn't disagree more. Without passion, she could not have moved to the top of Eteri's group. She comes across as a bit rehearsed, but I think that's merely a combination of nerves and her age.

Disagree. Ever heard of Andre Agassi? His father forced him to play and he hated it. I think tennis is probably just as demanding as ice skating.
https://www.npr.org/2009/11/11/120248809/a-tennis-star-who-hates-tennis
My point, it is possible (I agree extremely rare) to reach to top of your sport without passion. I just don't think Zag has it - if she did, she would have never considered quitting awhile back. I am glad she chose to continue because we as fans get to watch her.

Manitou

Medalist
My point, it is possible (I agree extremely rare) to reach to top of your sport without passion. I just don't think Zag has it - if she did, she would have never considered quitting awhile back. I am glad she chose to continue because we as fans get to watch her.

If Alina read this forum I bet she should laugh hard at this discussion...