Team Event: Short Dance Play-By-Play

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
2018 Winter Olympics - Figure Skating
ICE DANCE TEAM EVENT
SHORT DANCE​

Adel Tankova/Ronald Zilberberg (ISR)
SD: Cha Cha: "Banca Banca" by E-Type, Rhumba: "Mas Que Nada" performed by Gracinha Leporace, Sergio Mendes from the "Rio" soundtrack, Cha Cha: "Banca Banca" by E-Type; choreo by Galit Chait Moracci

A bit slow through the twizzles, should be a Level 2 or 3. Key points in the step sequence could have deeper edges, and the partial step was fairly simple. The lift was reminiscent of Tessa/Virtue's lift and was alright. No major mistakes, just rather rough and slow in their step sequences.

Last edited by a moderator:

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kavita Lorenz/Joti Polizoakis (GER)
SD: Salsa: "Aguanile" by Marc Anthony; Rhumba: "Mil Pasos" by Soha ( Kizomba Remix) and Salsa: "Quimbara" by Celia Cruz; choreo by Marina Zueva, Massimo Scali

Good curves through the midline step, wow looks to be a Level 4. Unfortunately missed some of the key points (probably a Level 2). Partial step was rather focused but done fairly well. A little out of sync in the last two sets of twizzles but fine. Their performance was technically-minded and could have more energy and timing with the music, but they should be quite happy with their score.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Seems like Lorenz / Polizoakis got dinged on some of the levels after further review...

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Yura Min/Alexander Gamelin (KOR)
SD: Samba: "Despacito" Luis Fonsi, Rhumba: "My All" by Mariah Carey, Samba: "Mujer Latina" by Thalia; choreo by Ksenia Rumiantseva, Ekaterina Volobueva; choreo by Igor Shpilband

Technical panel is being quite strict, looks like they only got two key points. Ouch, Yura missed the last set of twizzles so it will drop a level, and the back clasp on her dress SNAPPED! Oh no! Well, they might lose some levels here and there but she made sure her top didn't come off!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Ouch, their twizzle will only get a Level 1, eek.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Shiyue Wang/Xinyu Liu (CHN)
SD: Rhumba: Despacito, Samba; choreo by Shae Zukiwsky
FD: Over My Shoulder, Happy Ending; choreo by Shae Zukiwsky

Geez, the technical panel is being very stingy with those key points. Only 2 for Wang / Liu as well. That lift was great, though, and they had good energy in the samba!

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Marie-Jade Lauriault/Romain Le Gac (FRA)
SD: Salsa: "Salsation" by David Shire, Rhumba: "No Hay Problema" by Pink Martini, Salsa: "Salsation" by David Shire; choreo by Marie-France Dubreuil, Romain Haguenauer

Love the body movement and level changes. A bit out of sync in the first set of twizzles but nice ice coverage. I actually like the rhumba sections, really showed their change of pace and flow with the rhythm change. Got three key points it looks like in the rhumba step. Wonderful cartwheeling entry into the rotational lift. They could just use a bit more pizzazz and more speed, but they've got fairly interesting transitions in the first half.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Tough caller through the whole event and Marie-France agreeing with me saying that all the scores are low

Yeah, this technical panel has no problem reviewing every element and lowering levels all over the place so far.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Kana Muramoto/Chris Reed (JPN)
SD: Cha Cha: "I Like It Like That" by Pete Rodriguez, Rhumba: "Mondo Bongo" by Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Samba: "Batucada de Sambrasil by Estudios Talkback;" choreo by Marina Zoueva and Massimo Scali

This pair always makes me smile! :D

Through the twizzles very well, no problems. Like the phrasing of the midline non-touching step right to the music. Not sure if Muramoto touched the wall barrier at the end of that. A little tight in the middle part of the rhumba section, but they should get most of the key points. They should move up to 1st place after that effort.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Maia Shibutani/Alex Shibutani (USA)
SD: Mambo: Mambo No. 5 by Perez Prado, Cha Cha: Cherry Pink And Apple Blossom White by Perez Prado, Samba: Mambo Jumbo/Mambo No. 8 by Perez Prado5"; choreo by M Zueva, M. Scali, R. Roca, S. Lambiel

Looks to have gotten 3 or 4 of the key points in the rhumba step. Brilliant twizzles right on the counting of the music! Wonderfully precise midline step, with almost every step right to the beat of the music, and a fantastic lift with one foot right at the end. I'm worried that they are only going to get a Level 2 on the partial step, seemed like they could get more speed through it.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Hmm... I thought that performance was just as good, if not better, than their GPF performance where they got a 78. Very low scoring event so far.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte (ITA)
SD: Cha Cha "Kaboom" by Ursula 1000, Samba "Skip to the Bip" by "Club des Belugas", Samba: "1008 Samba;" choreo by Massimo Scali, Liudmila Vlasova

Fairly good sync through the twizzles, could have more ice coverage. I felt like the music choice could be mature for them, feels a bit junior-ish, but the second half music was good enough. Nice lift at the end, almost looked like a mistake with the split dismount. While they could have more one-foot skating, their interpretation is always top-notch.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Not sure why C/L got a deduction, perhaps the lift was too long?

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir (CAN)
SD: Samba: "Sympathy for the Devil" by Mick Jagger, Keith Richards performed by The Rolling Stones; Rhumba: "Hotel California" by Don Felders, Don Henley, Glenn Frey performed by Eagles; Cha Cha: "Oye Como Va" by Tito Puente' performed by Santana; choreo by David Wilson, M.-F. Dubreuil, S. Choinard

Wonderful curves through that rhumba sequence, almost didn't have enough room. A ridiculous number of steps in the partial step sequence, seemed a little tight in one of the steps. Almost a stumble out of the twizzles from Moir, but it looked like an extra turn really. Love how they emphasize each beat of the music and have some many different positions and level changes. Should break 80 still.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Ekaterina Bobrova/Dmitri Soloviev (OAR)
SD: Rhumba: Latin Lover by João Bosco, Samba: Dance by DJ Maksy, Samba: Quand je vois tes yeux by Dany Brilliant; choreo by Sergei Petukhov

Fine through the twizzles, could have more ice coverage in the later sets. Strong non-touching midline step, but looked to have lost a key point in the rhumba - Bobrova almost lost the edge. Fantastic lift at the end, though. This might be very tough, I think they will be very, very slightly under the Shibs.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Yep, Bobrova / Soloviev missed two key points in the rhumba sequence - 1RH2+kpNTY.

draqq

FigureSkatingPhenom
Record Breaker
Team Standings After 3 Events

Canada - 27
USA - 23
Russia - 21
Japan - 19
Italy - 17
China - 14
Germany - 13
Israel - 12