Team Canada maintains lead | Golden Skate

Team Canada maintains lead

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Recap with quotes from skaters

Canada continues to the lead in the Team Event for Figure Skating at the 2018 Winter Olympics after the Short Dance, Ladies Short Program, and Pairs Free Skate on Sunday at the Gangneung Ice Arena. The tally is as follows: Canada (45), Olympic Athletes from Russia (39), United States (36), Italy (35), and Japan (32).

More...

What are your thoughts on Day 2 of the team event?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Satoko Miyahara under-rotated her opening triple Lutz-triple toe, but was otherwise solid in her routine to “Memoirs of a Geisha.” While the triple loop was clean, one of the judges felt compelled to dock it with a -3 GOE, however, her spins and footwork were strong and garnered a level 4. She finished in fourth place with 68.95 (34.33/34.62) points.

“I felt great,” said the 19-year-old of her debut at the Olympic Games. “It was a little bit lower score for me, but I think the skating was good for me at my first Olympics. I want to cheer for my team and do the best I can in the individual event. Maybe the under-rotations cost me points. I think I had some, so I have to fix that. I thought I would be more nervous, but I had very much fun.”
I'm still trying to figure out why one of the judges (J5) gave her a -3 on the 3Lo when all the others were mostly +1 and even one +2? :scratch2:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Assuming Virtue and Moir win the freedance and the Americans are second Canada should have 8pts which means all they need is Chan or Osmond to be fourth and they should have the team title (Mind you Mikhail might do in Russia. I think the USA is behind too much.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Virtue and Moir were stand-outs to me. Olympics are the time when I try to enjoy ALL the FS disciplines, even when I don't know the rules. V/M's aura is just totally different from everyone else's. It was a stunning SP.
I also really enjoyed Capelinni and Lanotte, but what was that deduction about??

Eclair

Medalist
Virtue and Moir were stand-outs to me. Olympics are the time when I try to enjoy ALL the FS disciplines, even when I don't know the rules. V/M's aura is just totally different from everyone else's. It was a stunning SP.
I also really enjoyed Capelinni and Lanotte, but what was that deduction about??

I really liked Capellini/Lanotte too! More than the Shibs I have to say. I really hope, they'll get better PCS in the FS!

scott was not amused by the scores they got though ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
Surprise level 2 rhumba patterns for top teams. Makes everyone go :disapp:

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I really liked Capellini/Lanotte too! More than the Shibs I have to say. I really hope, they'll get better PCS in the FS!

scott was not amused by the scores they got though ;)

The scores went to Katelyn Osmond by some kind of magic. :biggrin: Loved the Dance SP, and the Ladies were stellar, but I have some issues with the judging. :noshake:

Eclair

Medalist
The scores went to Katelyn Osmond by some kind of magic. :biggrin: Loved the Dance SP, and the Ladies were stellar, but I have some issues with the judging. :noshake:

where do I start? satoko's PCS? Evgenia's GOE and PCS? Kaetlyn's jump combo? so many options ...

Country
Russia
I'm still trying to figure out why one of the judges (J5) gave her a -3 on the 3Lo when all the others were mostly +1 and even one +2?
Judge who gave Miyahara -3 - Elke Treitz Germany. It did not affect to score, mistake I believe.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Day 2 Ice Dance SD

It looks a bit strange - Chinese couple (7 place) ahead German and Japanese (5 place) ahead French, but, I guess, it reflects that in Asia became more serious to Ice Dance. May be further progress of Asian couples.

Top 4 nothing strange and is predictable.
4th Capellini-Lanotte - she fell at transition at the end of skating, it did not influence to place, they unfortunately became worse this season than previously.
3rd Bobrova-Soloviev - their SD is worse than FD, skated ordinarily, below 2nd place on less than 1 point.
2nd Shibutani - strong couple but as for me degraded from previous season. Clean but not shining. Not invited Stepanova-Bukin could be ahead them, in SD they are better than B/S.
1st Virtue-Moir won by their very high level, skating was good but not the best for them.

Last edited:
Country
Russia
Day 2 Ladies SP.

Disaster of Meite, I don't remember other so bad SP of her. But it meant nothing - Team France anyway did not advance to FS.

Tennell - clean and good elements (not excellent - sorry for her fans, she is a good girl, but I've seen alive Medvedeva and Panenkova, Higuchi and Sakamoto, Trusova and Kostornaia etc etc, and it influences to my opinion "what is excellent"), both TES and relatively low PCS look adequate. To progress she must work hard on PCS. Could be fourth (difference 0.01 with Miyahara - it is nothing) or even third (Osmond made serious mistakes) but judges solved that she is fifth.

Miyahara - very good all except jumps, as always. She often URs, this time URed both jumps in combo. Fourth, only 0.01 ahead Tennell.

Osmond - started skating from disaster at combo - very bad exits from both jumps, URed 3T. GOE -3 is deserved. Other moderately good. She is very strong skater, but today was not her day. Third, but places 3 to 5 could be placed in any order.

Kostner - UR at second jump of combo 3F+3T which she tries only few last competitions, before was 3T+3T. Solid but old-fashioned (no complications) other jumps, as usual for her. Better spins than at beginning of season, predictably high PCS. Well deserved second place.

Medvedeva - she earned her best state of two-times World Champion. Clean, strong, nice. It will not be easy for Zagitova to be better her in individuals. Absolutely deserved first place.

Last edited:

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
No, the Rumba pattern level calls were correct. What is surprising is having a panel that actually calls it.

Canada just needs to keep it together and they have it. I'll be more than thrilled for them, they have not only a great team of skaters, but team spirit :clap:

Seeing D/R : I have a lot of respect for Meagan. She talks about her anxiety, does not hide it during the performance sometimes, but has a lot of mental strength too. She has some crazy realness to her, that is refreshing, especially if you're a younger skaters with struggles, you can relate. Nothing but respect for her :thumbsup:

Thought Kaetlyn should have been behing Satoko though. Inflation was something.

Ice Dancing and Evgenia were apparently the highlights of twitter :biggrin:

Country
Russia
Day 2 Pairs FS.

Suzaki-Kihara relatively weak pair, nothing strange that they are last.

Scimeca-Knierim - Knierim - he fell at first jump of combo and pair of minor mistakes.Fourth.

Zabiyako-Enbert - their problem not just double salchov, but in first that they skated ordinarily while M/H very good. Deservedly third.

Marchei-Hotarek - very good clean skating, pleasure to watch. Deservedly second.

Duhamel - Radford - highest level of all competing pairs. Not absolutely clean, but absolutely deserved first place.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I am thrilled that Day 2 was far superior to Day 1. :yahoo: If the judges are tipping their hand that they plan to be strict on levels in ice dance I do not mind. There are lots of excellent couples so as long as they're being strict all around I do not mind.

With the women I have some PCS disagreements but no one is suddenly getting crazy marks so that's better at least. Don't suddenly start giving unprecedented marks at the Olympics. I prefer when the judges tip their hands early in the process (sorry, not sure how Berezhnaya and Sikharulidze didn't win worlds in 2001) so you know what to expect ahead of time :devil:

I see you M/H peaking at the right time! :agree: The final two flights of pairs in the individual are going to be so much fun!

pearly

Record Breaker
Day 2 Ice Dance SD

It looks a bit strange - Chinese couple (7 place) ahead German and Japanese (5 place) ahead French, but, I guess, it reflects that in Asia became more serious to Ice Dance. May be further progress of Asian couples.

Top 4 nothing strange and is predictable.
4th Capellini-Lanotte - she fell at transition at the end of skating, it did not influence to place, they unfortunately became worse this season than previously.
3rd Bobrova-Soloviev - their SD is worse than FD, skated ordinarily, below 2nd place on less than 1 point.
2nd Shibutani - strong couple but as for me degraded from previous season. Clean but not shining. Not invited Stepanova-Bukin could be ahead them, in SD they are better than B/S.
1st Virtue-Moir won by their very high level, skating was good but not the best for them.

Where? The splits dismount from the lift? That is a part of the program: https://youtu.be/qT_zFQoItWI?t=191 (Europeans). I just watched their SD from today for another fall and there's nothing else.

(I do realize they got a -1 for a fall, but if this is it, that's ridiculous.)

Come on Team Canada you can do it!

To me, Canada won the competition when Patrick Chan held on to third even with a bad skate, ahead of USA and well ahead of Russia, on day 1. All the Canadians did what they had to do.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I just don't understand how Osmond managed to be ahead of Satoko and Bradie...

Satoko: 2 URs, the Lz I would have given the benefit of the doubt to, deserves higher PCS than Osmond but didn't get it
Bradie: No URs, actual lutz edge, complicated choreography, consistency, lowballed in PCS

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I got to watch the last 5 pairs and final flight of ladies with my best friend (who is a casual fan but better informed than most casual fans are if you know what I mean-besides she loves and understands opera, classical music and abstract art. She's not a big Carolina fan but she thought Evgenia was lovely and was very impressed by her skate. We both were a little eyerolly about the sound effects and both of us pretty much said at the same time "she deserves better than that.." about them. She thought Satoko was lovely and tiny (she spent 4 years in Japan and speaks fluent Japanese and she was a little "Who chose Memoirs of a Geisha for her to skate to??"). I, of course, love Satoko and was sad with the UR but she did a beautiful job with the program. We both agreed that Kaetlyn was messy but she didn't give up on the performance and although we might have put her behind Satoko we understand IJS dings UR harder than sloppy landings. She thought Dabin was also lovely as did I. We both agreed that Evgenia was head and shoulders over everyone else. I told her about Alina and she said "I'll have to watch for myself..stop trying to influence me." hehe.. 25 years of friendship and we bicker like sisters.

With the pairs she said that the Japanese were good but obviously needed more time to get the pair moves right. She thought the Americans were very good and had good connection but that it was a shame about the jumps. We both agreed that Natalia is lovely and we both want to look like her. We both felt Z/E were lovely and elegant but not terribly engaging and that the fall-trip was unfortunate. We both enjoyed Meagan and Erik. More Erik than Meagan because we both fangirled over him and how lovely his skating is. We both thought Meagan was very gritty and obviously a force to be reckoned with.

We both agreed that the skate of the night was Valentina and Andrei. It was so wonderful to see such happiness and passion for skating. :thumbsup:

“Overwhelmed,” was Hotarek’s response. “To hit the perfect performance in the Olympics for your country, this is probably the feeling we could have wished for. You know you have it in you to perform like this, it is just hard to get there and to perform it. So when you actually do it, it’s really great.”

“I was so stressed out before that I think everything came out,” said Marchei of her emotional reaction at the end of the program. “I needed to shout, I wanted to cry.”
https://goldenskate.com/2018/02/team-canada-maintains-lead-in-figure-skating-in-pyeongchang/

Way to seize the moment team Italy.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
I think Kaetlyn showed some 'guts' in even getting in a combo, then to not crumble during the rest of the program after that start. Not perfect but not bad either.