Team Canada maintains lead | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Team Canada maintains lead

figureskaterfan1

Spectator
I just don't understand how Osmond managed to be ahead of Satoko and Bradie...

Satoko: 2 URs, the Lz I would have given the benefit of the doubt to, deserves higher PCS than Osmond but didn't get it
Bradie: No URs, actual lutz edge, complicated choreography, consistency, lowballed in PCS

Totally Agree

Country
Russia
To me, Canada won the competition when Patrick Chan held on to third even with a bad skate, ahead of USA and well ahead of Russia, on day 1. All the Canadians did what they had to do.
I don't understand not only why Kaetlyn is ahead Bradie and Satoko, I could understand if she would be below Dabin Choi who skated clean.

Btw, Kaetlyn had visible without slomo touch down of free leg to ice between 3F and 3T. It means +COMBO.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
To me, Canada won the competition when Patrick Chan held on to third even with a bad skate, ahead of USA and well ahead of Russia, on day 1. All the Canadians did what they had to do.

That's the Olympic ice for you. When Hanyu messed up at Sochi, the OGM was Patrick's to take but he messed up even more. This time around, his mess-up was followed by worse and much worse from the main rivals.

pearly

Record Breaker
On the ice and in protocols. When - at the end of program. Who - Anna Capellini.

Yes but I mean where in the program. The dismount from the lift? I watched it 5 times just now and I honestly don't see how it was different from the one they did at Europeans. Please let me know if I am missing anything!

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I, for one, am hoping that Kolyada skates really well tonight. He could easily win the LP. I think Russia is pretty safe for at least the silver and I don't think gold is totally out of reach yet. Forgive me if I want Canada to win but what great, epic comeback it would be if the Russians could pull this off. Great drama, great TV.

pearly

Record Breaker
I don't understand not only why Kaetlyn is ahead Bradie and Satoko, I could understand if she would be below Dabin Choi who skated clean.

Btw, Kaetlyn had visible without slomo touch down of free leg to ice between 3F and 3T. It means +COMBO.

Here's Wong's explanation of that: A lot of folks - myself included - were surprised when Kaetlyn Osmond's combination was validated. Normally, when a skater steps out of the first jump in a combo, the second jump does not count and the combo is invalidated. But in Osmond's case, it was a lesser-known definition of the step out that saved her combo, and her standing. If a skater puts their foot down but does not transfer their weight to that free foot, as Osmond did, then the combination is still a combination. Puzzle solved.

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
That's the Olympic ice for you. When Hanyu messed up at Sochi, the OGM was Patrick's to take but he messed up even more. This time around, his mess-up was followed by worse and much worse from the main rivals.

Except that's not true. Kolyada was the only guy to "mess up even more" and Patrick could have been placed in 7th. The judges gifted him into 3rd. It appears nearly everyone felt the Korean guy deserved 3rd and that overall most people feel Patrick and Nathan should have been placed in the 5-7 range instead of 3rd + 4th.

I was satisfied with Osmond in third. For one thing, IMHO she had the best actual program -- music and choreography -- of the bunch. Minus the wonky combo, her jumps were big and she skated with high energy throughout, building toward the end. Not her absolute best performance, but I for one will take it. She skated with more artistic maturity than Bradie and more pizzaz than Satoko, to me.

Duhamel and Radford are the heros of the Canadian team. They will leave Pyeongchang with a well-deserved gold medal, even if they fall short in the individuals.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I was satisfied with Osmond in third. For one thing, IMHO she had the best actual program -- music and choreography -- of the bunch. Minus the wonky combo, her jumps were big and she skated with high energy throughout, building toward the end. Not her absolute best performance, but I for one will take it. She skated with more artistic maturity than Bradie and more pizzaz than Satoko, to me.

Duhamel and Radford are the heros of the Canadian team. They will leave Pyeongchang with a well-deserved gold medal, even if they fall short in the individuals.

I keep waiting for you to give us your mathematical opinion on what is likely to happen with the medals tonight. We, the mathematically challenged, need your help.

It appears nearly everyone felt the Korean guy deserved 3rd and that overall most people feel Patrick and Nathan should have been placed in the 5-7 range instead of 3rd + 4th.

And the Italian guy 4th. :yes:

I agree with "nearly everyone." But what are you going to do? The IJS rewards failed quads more than "what skaters deserve."

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Except that's not true. Kolyada was the only guy to "mess up even more" and Patrick could have been placed in 7th. The judges gifted him into 3rd. It appears nearly everyone felt the Korean guy deserved 3rd and that overall most people feel Patrick and Nathan should have been placed in the 5-7 range instead of 3rd + 4th.

I don't think I would have Kolyada ahead of Chan but I was surprised that Patrick was 3rd. I probably would have had Nathan and Cha ahead of him. Kolyada had a really bad skate. I think Z/E not getting second is a big blow to Russian. They needed to be second.

pearly

Record Breaker
If Russia wanted a guaranteed 2nd or better, they should/would have sent T/M. I don't think they cared, if that's at all possible.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I agree. In fact, she skated too big and lost some control at the early jumps. Her wonky combo was hit with an UR and negative GOE but was ratified according to ISU rules. Those insisting it was invalid need to work on changing the official rules but fans have to go by the existing rules just as the tech and judging panels do. I, among others, have felt PCS in Mens have been undervalued in relation to TES in these recent years but accept scores and results as they are rendered. These rules do change and all competitors have to do their best with all the givens at the time of competition.

There will be other heroes in Team Canada, and in other teams as well even if some of them will not participate in the Free programs.

I probably would have had Nathan ... ahead of (Chan).
I am depressed about the whole thing. In the men's short program only 3 things count: the combo, the solo jump, and the triple Axel. Nathan got 0 points for his solo jump and he under-rotated and fell on his triple Axel. All the rest -- spins, transitions, program components -- that's nice, but first you have to take care of business.

Poor Nathan. But that's water over the bridge and under the dam now. He's going to crush it in the individual. But watch out for Boyang Jin! :yes:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
I am depressed about the whole thing. In the men's short program only 3 things count: the combo, the solo jump, and the triple Axel. Nathan got 0 points for his solo jump and he under-rotated and fell on his triple Axel. All the rest -- spins, transitions, program components -- that's nice, but first you have to take care of business.

Poor Nathan. But that's water over the bridge and under the dam now. He's going to crush it in the individual. But watch out for Boyang Jin! :yes:

When he lost the combo that was just the nail in his coffin. Sad for him. A real shame for the American team.

Hopefully it's just a learning experience and he'll be back to his normal self in the men's event.

To me the most criminally undermarked element is the step sequences. When done well they are so great and the crowd loves them and yet a messy, badly done quad scores 2 to 3 times as much. Awful.

pearly

Record Breaker
Guys - can someone please tell me if I am missing anything in the case of Cappelini/Lanotte's -1 fall deduction? After some review to me it looks like the case of a panel trying to show how strict they are. If it was the splits dismount from their RoLi, to me it looks like the exact same thing was done in previous competitions with no deduction. Also numerous other pairs/couples do splits without ever getting a -1.

I do hate the cases where at the end of the season one referee decides to educate us all and make such calls. Someone please help me out here!