Team Canada maintains lead | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Team Canada maintains lead

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Guys - can someone please tell me if I am missing anything in the case of Cappelini/Lanotte's -1 fall deduction? After some review to me it looks like the case of a panel trying to show how strict they are. If it was the splits dismount from their RoLi, to me it looks like the exact same thing was done in previous competitions with no deduction. Also numerous other pairs/couples do splits without ever getting a -1.

I do hate the cases where at the end of the season one referee decides to educate us all and make such calls. Someone please help me out here!

It's the split dismount. Apparently it's not the first time they have been dinged for it either. Maybe they will change it before milan since it's been a problem.

pearly

Record Breaker
It's the split dismount. Apparently it's not the first time they have been dinged for it either. Maybe they will change it before milan since it's been a problem.

Thanks! I'll go look at their protocols from earlier this season. Hopefully they'll figure out how to change it before the short dance.

---
No deduction in Minsk (CS), either GP or GPF, Europeans.

I, for one, am hoping that Kolyada skates really well tonight. He could easily win the LP. I think Russia is pretty safe for at least the silver and I don't think gold is totally out of reach yet. Forgive me if I want Canada to win but what great, epic comeback it would be if the Russians could pull this off. Great drama, great TV.

Me too!! It was brutal to see him after the short program, so upset and with none of his teammates there to support him; I wished someone could have given him a hug. Of all the underdog moments that could happen in the remainder of the team event, redemption for Misha is the one I most want to see.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Guys - can someone please tell me if I am missing anything in the case of Cappelini/Lanotte's -1 fall deduction? After some review to me it looks like the case of a panel trying to show how strict they are. If it was the splits dismount from their RoLi, to me it looks like the exact same thing was done in previous competitions with no deduction. Also numerous other pairs/couples do splits without ever getting a -1.

I do hate the cases where at the end of the season one referee decides to educate us all and make such calls. Someone please help me out here!

The split dismount was rough this time, looking possibly like a loss of control but she was supported and pulled up by her partner. This is tough. But they still received high GOEs for the element, maybe because the "fall" was deemed to happen after the lift was completed.

Country
Russia
Yes but I mean where in the program. The dismount from the lift? I watched it 5 times just now and I honestly don't see how it was different from the one they did at Europeans. Please let me know if I am missing anything!
After watching both video of Euro and today's SD - sorry, I have not my opinion. Lipnitskaia, commenting this, told that K/L almost popped exit of RoLi (she is very experienced, I trust her). Maybe this? But GOE of this element seven +2 and two +3, judges think that all right.

So let us fix the facts.
1. There is 1 point deduction in protocols for fall.
2. It does not affect to place.

On all the other I have no opinion.

I keep waiting for you to give us your mathematical opinion on what is likely to happen with the medals tonight...

My considered mathematical opinion: if Canada can a way to lose, I'll turn in my diploma. ;) RUssia has 39 points. If Kolyada (!) and Zagitova both win and B&S get second, they will have 68 points.

For Canada, assuming Virtue and Moir win, the only way that Canada ends up with less than that (67) is if both Chan and Daleman finish dead last. Chan will beat Rizzo, so that gives Canada 68 points even with a worst-case scenario for Chan. Daleman only has to beat Mirai to put Canada's total out of reach at 69+.

As you mentioned above, Russia needed to get second in pairs last night. :yes:

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My considered mathematical o[inion: if Canada can a way to lose, I'll turn in my diploma. ;) RUssia has 39 points. If Kolyada (!) and Zagitova both win and B&S get second, they will have 68 points.

For Canada, assuming Virtue and Moir win, the only way that Canada ends up with less than that (67) is if both Chan and Daleman finish dead last. Chan will beat Rizzo, so that gives Canada 68 points even with a worst-case scenario for Chan. Daleman only has to beat Mirai to put Canada's total out of reach at 69+.

Thanks. That was my math too. Can Italy win the bronze?

I think not using T/M really cost them here. T/M could have beaten D/R.

Last edited:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
The split dismount was rough this time, looking possibly like a loss of control but she was supported and pulled up by her partner. This is tough. But they still received high GOEs for the element, maybe because the "fall" was deemed to happen after the lift was completed.

Seems almost a contraction to call it a fall and give them positive GOE for it. "Great... fall?"

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker
Seems almost a contraction to call it a fall and give them positive GOE for it. "Great... fall?"

A fall can happen after a completed element and therefore not affect the element scores but will receive the standard mandatory fall deduction. This is a particularly difficult to define case and I chuck it up to the particularly tough tech panel. The judges evidently liked the lift very much.

Thanks. That was my math too. Can Italy win the bronze?

They can! Italy has only one point to make up. Kostner will probably get second and Rizzo last. That leaves it up to Capelini and Lanotte. Could they get second ahead of the Shibs and the Russians? Why not? That would give Italy 59 points. If the Shibs get only 3rd :( and Mirai finishes last :( :(, that leaves it up to Rippon. He would have to win outright (possible in this field) to put the USA clearly ahead with 60 points.

More likely the Shibs will get second with C&L at best 3rd, probably 4th. This takes the pressure off Adam and the USA will win with a middle of the pack finish in men.

The men are definitely the wild cards, if not the jokers. Adam could get anywhere from 1st to 4th. Tanaka could easily win IMHO. Chan could crush it. Or not.

I love this event! :rock:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
They can! Italy has only one point to make up. Kostner will probably get second and Rizzo last. That leaves it up to Capelini and Lanotte. Could they get second ahead of the Shibs and the Russians? Why not? That would give Italy 59 points. If the Shibs get only 3rd :( and Mirai finishes last :( :(, that leaves it up to Rippon. He would have to win outright (possible in this field) to put the USA clearly ahead with 60 points.

More likely the Shibs will get second with C&L at best 3rd, probably 4th. This takes the pressure off Adam and the USA will win with a middle of the pack finish in men.

The men are definitely the wild cards, if not the jokers. Adam could get anywhere from 1st to 4th. Tanaka could easily win IMHO. Chan could crush it. Or not.

I love this event! :rock:

It's very exciting. I'm legitimately excited to see what happens tonight. No matter what happens and who wins.

It's very exciting. I'm legitimately excited to see what happens tonight. No matter what happens and who wins.

Me, too! I don't get all the Scrooges who say this is a stupid event and no one cares about it. If you win, that means that overall your country is the #1 figure skating country in the world, at least for the next four years. :cool:

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Me, too! I don't get all the Scrooges who say this is a stupid event and no one cares about it. If you win, that means that overall your country is the #1 figure skating country in the world, at least for the next four years. :cool:

And it's not like anyone is forcing them to watch it. Go watch snowboarding or curling if you hate the team event.

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

:agree:

OGM in team sports, summer and winter, are often the most coveted honour, bestowing great pride and bragging rights on a nation and perpetuating heated rivalries.

Go Team Canada! Bring that OGM in Figure Skating, Men and Women Hockey!

pearly

Record Breaker

With the current system I don't think that's what it means. Some changes in the system would be needed to make it more relevant in that particular aspect.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
scott was not amused by the scores they got though ;)

Moir felt that it was a tough panel.

"We thought that that was an improved skate for what we have done, especially internationally, in the fall, but that's a good sign," he said. "This is the Olympic Games. You are looking for the harshest panel, especially when you are going to have the best field that you have had in four years. I think it's a good sign and we have no reason to think the judging isn't fair."

"We'll be looking at the tape before next week," he added. "I think that's what you see in the 'Kiss and Cry', probably my face, because I am more reactive. We are trying to figure out how we get back to that max score on an international scale. The calls are important and we just have to learn from them."

SpiffySpiders

On the Ice

I don't understand the hate for team event either. I find it adds an exciting strategy element that I quite enjoy.

Many of the other individual sports also have team competitions at the Olympics and you don't hear the complaining about tiring out the athletes or the medals being pointless. It's strange to me, especially the overtaxing the skaters argument; there are so many athletes with multiple, difficult heats and qualifiers to get through and some of them even do it all for several events! The snowboarders, the speed skaters, the skiers - they aren't any tougher and their sports are no easier, so if they can handle odd hours and busy schedules then so can the figure skaters!

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Here's Wong's explanation of that: A lot of folks - myself included - were surprised when Kaetlyn Osmond's combination was validated. Normally, when a skater steps out of the first jump in a combo, the second jump does not count and the combo is invalidated. But in Osmond's case, it was a lesser-known definition of the step out that saved her combo, and her standing. If a skater puts their foot down but does not transfer their weight to that free foot, as Osmond did, then the combination is still a combination. Puzzle solved.

How can they tell about the weight transfer? is it that obvious?