Team Canada maintains lead | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Team Canada maintains lead

Eclair

Medalist
I think as long there is no gain for skaters from non-TE-medalling countries, the participation trend will likely go down rather than up.

If S/M or Sui/Han or Yuzuru Hanyu score a new world record in the TE, it means nothing as their teams are not going to make it into the final 5 or medalling.

But if they falter or if the judges 'want' certain countries to win because they have politicked accordingly beforehand, they'll get underscored or loose to an opponent they don't want to loose to - getting a disadvantage in the individual event.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Okay. Unfortunately, there's no way for me to watch anything so I have no clue what happened at all.

If you like, you can go to the Videos No Spoilers thread in the General Info thread for the Olympics. The SD videos are still available. AFAIK the others are too... although some have been taken down, others remain.

kresslia

Medalist
I thought Canada wouldn't have such an easy time keeping the lead, so I wonder did Kolyada ruin OAR's shot for team gold? Hope he can make amends in the free, fingers crossed for a solid performance there.
Yeah... he did. He really did, and I feel sorry for him. It's neck and neck aside from the men's event so far (doing the numbers from my head, sorry if wrong)

Canada = 10+10+9+8 = 37
Russia = 10+10+8+8 = 36

At the end of the day, though, men's probably always was going to be the differentiator and Chan was... less bad. Here's to better skating in the free

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
If you like, you can go to the Videos No Spoilers thread in the General Info thread for the Olympics. The SD videos are still available. AFAIK the others are too... although some have been taken down, others remain.
Okay! I looked there earlier and a lot were take down but huh *shrugs*
we're from the same country so it's not a geoblock thing I guess

Country
Russia
From article we discuss (link is at first post)
Kaetlyn Osmond was nearly clean in her routine to “Sous le ciel de Paris”
Hmmm...
Nearly clean was Kostner, visually solid all elements, one UR.
Clean - Medvedeva, Tennell, Dabin Choi.
Osmond with disastrous combo and reallly clean of jumping elements only 2A - it is about far "near" to clean.

“I feel really good and I didn’t leave anything out on the table,” said Osmond of her focus on the program. “Some of the program got a little messy, but I was able to keep focused and pushing throughout the whole thing. I felt really good out on the ice and I definitely felt the excitement.”
I thought "poor girl, maybe she is ill and because of this can not normally land triples".

Can't agree with that. There is only one discipline where Canada is #1 and that is ice dance. Japan is the best in men, Russia in ladies, several countries are good in pairs. ...

I would even say that overall the Americans are better in ice dance. All three of our top teams made the GPF this year. Once V/M leave, then the next top team is W/P who didn't even make the GPF this year. ...

See, that's the beauty of sports. We don't have to decide who is the best at this or that by arguing on the Internet. We can have a big competition instead. If you win, you are the best. :yes:

So, which country is the best overall, if I am the best at this and you are the best at that? I don't know. That's why we have a team event to decide. :yes:

CAS

On the Ice
I wonder how people reacted to the team event in gymnastics when it was just getting started. It's been around now for about 20 Olympic cycles with the vast majority of medals going to the same handful of countries. Yet somehow it keeps going.

Olympic

On the Ice
Some observations -

V/M, Shibs, B/S and C/L are all skating both SD and FD in the team event: Isn't that quite taxing? V/M will face a well-rested P/C in the individual competition and P/C are probably slight favorites anyway. Shibs had begun to struggle against their US teammates and will enter the individual comp against a fresh, rested H/D and C/B in the individual competition. The biggest non-American competition for the bronze will also have skated both the SD and FD in the team event: B/S and C/L

Chan and Kolyada are also doing SP and LP for team Canada and Russia, then both must be back on their game this coming weekend in the individual competition at a time when Chan is off his game and Kolyada is quite unstable. Fernandez and Jin will be rested. Uno and Chen will have only skated an SP. Yuzu is a big ? I recall Chan talking up the team competition prior to the Olympics and not saying anything about the individual event. Maybe he doesn't see himself as a major medal threat.

louisa05

Final Flight
I think it would make things more interesting. It would encourage some countries to send their top skaters to the event knowing that they could make up for the disciplines where they are not so great. If everyone sends their top skaters, whoever ends up first can say they truly outskated the best out there and that they not only have 4, but 8 overall great skaters/teams.

I think this is a good idea. It would add some suspense. Before anyone skated yesterday, I grabbed paper, did the math, and correctly predicted the exact standings and placements for each of the current top five countries.

That's my problem with it. It is terribly predictable. Requiring every country to switch out in every discipline would make it interesting.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, H/D, C/B, and P/C won't have gotten the valuable opportunity to compete on Olympic ice here... nerves are very real! even for skaters/teams that don't seem to be affected, this is the OLYMPICS. there's a lot of pressure. the Shibs, V/M, B/S, C/L, Chan, and Kolyada will have all gotten that out. that being said, those guys will probably still be a splatfest anyway :(

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I wonder how people reacted to the team event in gymnastics when it was just getting started. It's been around now for about 20 Olympic cycles with the vast majority of medals going to the same handful of countries. Yet somehow it keeps going.

I already see more interest in the team competition and this is only the 2nd Olympics to include it. A underdog team like Italy challenging for a medal and beating a giant like the US has been the best thing that could happen to this event. It feels must less frivolous then in Sochi where it almost felt like the WTT and no one knew how to act. The question is what team improves in the next 4 years to challenge the big 3 since Italy probably has the oldest team here and won't be a factor.

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
I already see more interest in the team competition and this is only the 2nd Olympics to include it. A underdog team like Italy challenging for a medal and beating a giant like the US has been the best thing that could happen to this event. It feels must less frivolous then in Sochi where it almost felt like the WTT and no one knew how to act. The question is what team improves in the next 4 years to challenge the big 3 since Italy probably has the oldest team here and won't be a factor.

China would be my guess. They'll want medals in both the Team Event and individual event.

---

If someone read the description of Kaetlyn's skate here and didn't watch it you'd think she fell twice and somehow still ended up 3rd. :laugh: In reality she botched the combo after having too much speed and ended up 6 points off her PB.

The question is what team improves in the next 4 years to challenge the big 3 since Italy probably has the oldest team here and won't be a factor.
Japan has the resources and, I think, the will to develop a competitive pairs team.

China could come up with the next Chen Lu, while steering some of their excess pairs skaters into ice dance. Plus, Jin will probably still be on the scene. And China, as host nation, will pour on the coal to make a big showing in the international arena. :yes:

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker

Thank you Jammers for this perspective. For figure skating, isn't this a good thing for a sport that was so popular, and then hit a wall due to scandal and indifference. I know here in Canada, people are at the edge of their seats with the Team event, as it is a conversation for even the more uninitiated.

Example, my 17 year old son for the first time is asking me, what time is figure skating on...WHAT...no hockey, volleyball or simply the usual, "can we change the channel?" This is a good thing! To say the Team event has added a new and unique audience and a wider perspective, is an understatement IMO.

Anything we can do to get back the 90's, I'm in!

OT, but I got a kick out of Tanith White's comment on NBC about one of the dance teams, I forget which. "They skate like a Christmas tree: close together at the shoulders but far apart at the hips." :laugh:

sailormoon

On the Ice
Country
Japan
Satoko Miyahara under-rotated her opening triple Lutz-triple toe, but was otherwise solid in her routine to “Memoirs of a Geisha.” While the triple loop was clean, one of the judges felt compelled to dock it with a -3 GOE, however, her spins and footwork were strong and garnered a level 4. She finished in fourth place with 68.95 (34.33/34.62) points.

Satoko clearly underrotated the second jump in the opening triple Lutz-triple toe but her triple Lutz looked clean to me. However, the judges decided that she underrotated both jumps in the opening combo. Otherwise, she would have finished third.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Japan has the resources and, I think, the will to develop a competitive pairs team.

China could come up with the next Chen Lu, while steering some of their excess pairs skaters into ice dance. Plus, Jin will probably still be on the scene. And China, as host nation, will pour on the coal to make a big showing in the international arena. :yes:

Isn't Zhang also planning to continue to 2022, unlikely as that seems?

Blades of Passion

Skating is Art, if you let it be
Record Breaker
Country
France
I don't think I would have Kolyada ahead of Chan.

Well no, nobody would. Cha Jun-hwan, Han Yan, Matteo Rizzo, and Nathan Chen all could have placed above Chan though. The Korean guy certainly deserved 3rd, whatever order the other 4-7 place guys end up.

If USA and Japan had chosen their Ladies more wisely, then Osmond could also have been down in 5th, and suddenly the whole team podium would be up in the air instead of the Gold just being handed to Canada.

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I was on twitter yesterday, and saw that Gracie Gold posted a very nice although very interesting tweet about Kaetlyn: "Kaetlyn’s jumps have incredible height. The best 3Lz of the event." -I love Kaetlyn's lutz but it's not my all time favorite since the edge is definitely only flat and not a really deep outside edge. :confused2: but I guess Gracie would know more than I would?

Olympic

On the Ice
My post was in remembrance of Lipnitskaya and Sotnikova in Sochi. While Lipnitskaya had her best performances in the team event, she petered out by the individual event and Sotnikova was rested and ready