Canada takes Team gold | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Canada takes Team gold

millie

Medalist
Hey, i’m Outta here to enjoy the Olympics.....and playing my video of Team Canada accepting their Gold medal.....All the bickering and sniffling can’t take it way. Get over it....all the calculating and figuring out different scenarios does not make a difference. It’s like any other team sport, there is a lot of what if’s with a losing team...I shoulda, woulda, coulda. But dida not win. When someone loses its heartbreaking but that’s life. In another 1400 or more days, they can try it again and the next time I hope they had learned their lesson....put your best foot forward or in this case your best skate. Get over it...Sore losers not to the Teams but to certain posters who think they know everything. That’s all folks.

Trillium

Rinkside
Hey, i’m Outta here to enjoy the Olympics.....and playing my video of Team Canada accepting their Gold medal.....All the bickering and sniffling can’t take it way. Get over it....all the calculating and figuring out different scenarios does not make a difference. It’s like any other team sport, there is a lot of what if’s with a losing team...I shoulda, woulda, coulda. But dida not win. When someone loses its heartbreaking but that’s life. In another 1400 or more days, they can try it again and the next time I hope they had learned their lesson....put your best foot forward or in this case your best skate. Get over it...Sore losers not to the Teams but to certain posters who think they know everything. That’s all folks.
Well said! Canada brought their best team and won gold. No amount of complaining, whining, analyzing, hypothesizing and bickering can change that.

Time to move on and enjoy the rest of the Olympics.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Don't go! f you find a poster to be annoying, just put him on "ignore" and you won't even see his posts.

And congratulations on Netherlands' speed skating medals. :rock:

Truer words have never been spoken.

Osmond4gold

Record Breaker
Nothing anyone says changes the fact that Canada won. Maybe we, Canadians, could have the grace to let other people ponder other outcomes.

Grace in the face of defeat has almost as much value as grace in the face of victory.

If our joy is so easily diminished we need to work on ways of increasing our joyfulness.

Sorry you feel this way ancientpeas, for as you know we Canadians are a gracious and joyful lot, but sometimes in life too much is enough!

On a lighter note...

Just want to say congratulations Canada on the team victory! It was a commendable effort (no placement less than 3[SUP]rd[/SUP]!) by the 7 who partook and a tribute to the 5 veteran skaters who will be ‘passing the torch’ to aspiring young skaters after these games.

Well done Tessa, Scott, Patrick, Meagan, Eric and Kaetlyn and Gabby, for a solid team performance.

I see some here think the team event is ‘silly’ or less significant than the individual events – hey, your prerogative. On the other hand I thoroughly enjoyed the team camaraderie exhibited by all nations and for each other and am of the ilk this is truly representative of the Olympic spirit!

Congratulations to Russia for winning the silver and the USA for winning the bronze! There were performances by skaters from all countries I’ll want to go back to and watch again. :rock:

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Now let's hear it for the Italians!

“We skated the best we could and we skated our hearts out,” said Cappellini. “Obviously we were very disappointed with the score. I think we were five points more at the beginning of the season. It just doesn’t make sense. Something is escaping our ability to understand, because we are improving and making changes. We’ve trained so hard and we know we performed good today. You think you have the skate of a lifetime and you are awarded a low score. It might be because they are a bit cautious because it’s the first event. But us, compared to the other teams, we seem to have lost ground.”

Despite the disappointing score, the Italians had a lot of fun with the team.

“I think it really brings people together,” said Cappellini. “We wanted to try to get this medal. We put out all the best performances and skaters and the federation was very much involved in ensuring that we fought with the best teams and performances that we could. It brought us together a lot in the past weeks and even in our rooms here. The last couple of days there was a lot of friendship going on. It’s such an individual sport, so it was great that it felt like a team sport.”

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
The Team event means having respect for all competitors and an appreciation for this sport, irrespective of nationality...right Meagan?

Check out Team Canada's reaction to Mirai's 3A, at 21 secs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pyV0G7HeEc

Yet another example of 'grace and joy'.

Between this and congratulating Aliona/Bruno, Meagan gets the sportsmanship award at these Olympics. So great to see. :)

noskates

Record Breaker
I'm glad someone upthread mentioned Meghan. I thought the scene when Aliona and Bruno found out they had won the gold medal was one of the best so far. ALL the other pairs teams were happy for them and congratulated them sincerely. But Meghan was the first to jump up and hug Aliona and I was very impressed with her sportsmanship. She and Eric had to have been disappointed and yet sportsmanship won out. :agree:

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
although the Italians didn't medal, I was so proud of Matteo Rizzo and Marchei/Hotarek! they did so well!

anyanka

Record Breaker
I'm glad someone upthread mentioned Meghan. I thought the scene when Aliona and Bruno found out they had won the gold medal was one of the best so far. ALL the other pairs teams were happy for them and congratulated them sincerely. But Meghan was the first to jump up and hug Aliona and I was very impressed with her sportsmanship. She and Eric had to have been disappointed and yet sportsmanship won out. :agree:

Nah, she was jumping up and down on the podium in the third spot, giddy with joy. And she was absolutely over the moon saying "I'm so proud of you!" and holding Aljona, who was just convulsing because she was so incredibly happy. In a National Post interview she said she was happy for S/M and flat-out said of Aljona, "she is my idol!"

But yes, people can say what they want about Meagan but being a bad sport isn't one of those things.

And on their Instagram profiles and stories D/R were all posting happy pics and gushing with pride and joy for not just themselves but for the others as well. They gambled on doing 4 programs in a week and pulled it off. A complete set of medals (including the team silver from Sochi) is definitely something to be proud of. :agree:

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Nah, she was jumping up and down on the podium in the third spot, giddy with joy. And she was absolutely over the moon saying "I'm so proud of you!" and holding Aljona, who was just convulsing because she was so incredibly happy. In a National Post interview she said she was happy for S/M and flat-out said of Aljona, "she is my idol!"

But yes, people can say what they want about Meagan but being a bad sport isn't one of those things.

That's awesome to get to share an Olympic podium with one's idol, let alone compete on the same ice as them! :)

millie

Medalist
A great big congratulation to Team Canada on winning the Team Gold Medal. Congratulations to all the skaters from other countries that won a medal and Good Luck to those who are left to skate..🐎🐎.

ladyjane

Medalist
Country
Netherlands
Don't go! If you find a poster to be annoying, just put him on "ignore" and you won't even see his posts.

And congratulations on Netherlands' speed skating medals. :rock:

Don't worry. I'm not off the forum. I followed your suggestion and am still on here. Though ( except for this response) not on this thread.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
If anyone wants, I think a thread to discuss proposed changes to the team event rules are in order. I think it is a subject worth discussing, but not in this thread.

Last edited:

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
If anyone wants, I think a thread to discuss proposed changes to the team event rules are in order. I think it is a subject worth discussing, but not in this thread.

I absolutely agree. It should have been done when the first veered off course.

And maybe another (separate) one for the alternative-reality re-run of this event.

dorispulaski

Wicked Yankee Girl
Country
United-States
CSG or BOP, please start a thread of your very own on this subject? I will be happy to move your posts to it.

Last edited: