Canada takes Team gold | Golden Skate

Canada takes Team gold

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Canada takes gold at 2018 Olympics in figure skating team event

Team Canada dominated the Team Event in Figure Skating throughout the competition at the 2018 Winter Olympics in PyeongChang, winning the gold after placing second at Sochi in 2014. The Olympic Athletes from Russia and the United States maintained second and third, respectively, to earn the silver and bronze.

What are your thoughts on the event? Where do think the judges went wrong if at all in terms of levels for all the ice dancers?

Last edited:

RemyRose

YOLO
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congrats to Team Canada. Especially happy for Chan and Duhamel/Radford!!!

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
I'm glad they got it! If it can't be the US, I'm glad it's them :) Good neighbors to the US and lots of likable, talented skaters.

Roast Toast

Medalist
Duhamel/Radford were the heroes of Team Canada imo! Confident, strong skates -- this is how you come for the gold! The country that sent their best skaters won, although I do wish the full Russian team could have been there.

Ladskater

~ Figure Skating Is My Passion ~
Record Breaker
Team Canada worked extremely hard for this honour and really showed team work and comradery. I'm happy for Patrick Chan. Also Kudos to Katelyn Osmond and Gabby Daleman for her awesome free skate and Eric and Meagan. Thanks Scott and Tessa for putting the icing on the cake. I also want to say, that I think it's fabulous that this team won the Gold as most of these skaters are hanging up their competitive skates after the Olympics and passing the torch to our next generation. They're all mostly veterans of Figure Skating and have earned this through years of dedication and hard work along with many highs and lows along the way. Enjoy the moment kids, you deserve it!!

:points:

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist
Congratulations Team Canada!

Tessa and Scott were amazing as always.

friedbanana

End Turandot!
Final Flight
A lot of memorable moments from the team event. There were so many great skates and incredible Olympic debuts. Adam, Mirai, Dabin, Junhwan, and I'm definitely missing a few! Happy competition overall

NaVi

Medalist
Random observations.

Had Kolyada been placed below Rippon and if Bradie had been placed above Miyahara and Osmond then the US would have tied Russia... and easily lost the tiebreaker. Bradie in the LP would not have mattered so it seems the only potential "what if" is Nathan skating the LP and beating Patrick.

Italy actually made it a bit interesting but I can't see that happening in the near future. I wonder how many Olympic cycles it will take until there is a legit 4th challenger for medals. Probably at least 2 more.

The Men's SP was the most decisive event... and if they keep the format the same then it's the event most likely to be decisive. It's the event with the most variability and it's usually pretty deep compared to the other events.

The team event should be called a derby...

It's going to be fascinating to see how the teams evolve by 2022. Their potential teams will look about even the next couple years with Canada climbing down with retirements, Russia holding steady, and the US maybe climbing up a bit.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Daleman on performance

“I feel great!” said the 20-year-old. “At the end of the day, there are still some little things that could be better, but I have another chance in a week and a half. But overall, I am very ecstatic and very happy with what I did today. I didn’t feel any pressure. I felt more nervous, especially because I didn’t want to let my team down. I am very happy with what I did.”

“This is the biggest thing I could ever imagine,” she said of the experience on Olympic ice. “Getting out there and having that moment is something I have always dreamed of. And getting to do this again in a week or so is truly amazing. Especially after all I have been through, it means that much more.”

The three-time Canadian champion said this experience compared to that of Sochi 2014 is “super different.”

“The first time I was here, I was there for the experience, but now I am here in PyeongChang as a competitor and here to play. It was just so different then, the age and maturity-wise. I am just so honored I got to represent Canada in this team event. We have such a great strong team and I couldn’t be more proud.”

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Patrick Chan

“Luckily I had those two days off between the short and the long,” said Chan of rebounding from a subpar short program. “That’s the great part about the (athletes’) Village. You’re constantly surrounded by positive energy from athletes inside figure skating and out. It just made me comfortable that I had the support of my entire team. Whatever happens today, good or bad, doesn’t matter, because they’re still going to be there for me.”

The 27-year-old said the difference between the team event for 2018 compared to 2014 is determination.

“We saw the potential we had in Sochi and didn’t capitalize on it,” said the skater from Toronto. “This time we really want to nail it into the coffin and win this thing. It’s such an exhilarating feeling because we’re such a tight-knit team, and we’ve been from the same generation, so we want to win this medal for all of us.”

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Scott Moir:

“We’re obviously thrilled to be Olympic team champions,” said Moir. “We’re really proud of ourselves because we weren’t happy with our approach in Sochi. We felt we were too casual and were using it more as a simulation. Tessa and I and Eric (Radford) came home with a sour taste in our mouths. We had a chance at Olympic gold and we were a little too casual about it. We set a plan, a four-year plan, Tessa and I were in hiding for a couple of years.”

“We wanted to win the team event in 2018 and we believed in ourselves and we talked about it as a team,” he added. “We wanted to make sure we got this gold. As Canadians, we were born on the ice. We think we’re the best in the world. Winning this event is like winning hockey and curling and it’s very similar in our country. We’re glad that we took it seriously and came out on top against two very, very good teams.”

Last edited:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Congratulations Team Canada!

Tessa and Scott were amazing as always.

I kind of feel for WEaver and Poje. We didn't see a lot of them. We saw Keegana lot ; he seems to be enjoing himself but mind you the guy has no pressure, goton the team by the skin of his teeth, Larkyn must be practising a lot or maybe I just missed her because she is kind of the forgotten step child. But I hope she and Keegan really enjoy the experience. I think the others have more expectations.

Canada WON the gold. They gutted it out even Chan - honestly even though he skated poorly somewhat for him I don't think anyone expected 18 pts from him. Kaetyln and Gabby were strong enough not to fall behind too much and Duhamel and Radford really took charge -not perfect but did what they had to do. Of course in the absence of PC it was a cake walk for V and M. I have to say I thought they were further ahead of the Shibsibs in the FD but actually they won by more in the SD lol.

I thought the US might be closer to Russia or rather OAR. Kind of sad by the ice dance free dance came the top three spots were decided and weren't changing.