Canada takes Team gold | Page 3 | Golden Skate

Canada takes Team gold

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Very happy for Team Canada! Sad for Team Italy, would've been incredible if they'd managed bronze.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OMG Stop everything! French tv was recapping the team event and they were speaking about Virtue and Moir "skating together for 20 years, husband and wife in real life..." secret Voir shippers?

:hslap::shocked::laugh2:

Eclair

Medalist
I hadn't thought of this, but it does present a new dynamic in terms of rooting interests.

For example, here was my range of thoughts:

I'm an unashamed American, rooting for my team. But I also like Kolyada more than Adam, although I thought Adam wuzrobbed. I really appreciate Patrick's skating, too. Shoma is a favorite, and I was glad to see him do well... but it hurt my team...

I don't particularly enjoy SK/K, but I was so proud they did well... the Russian pair, who I'm neutral about, did amazing, but my favorite pair (S/H) didn't even compete, and I'm a bit bent out of shape about it.

My favorite ice dancers were left off the American team, but I can't dislike the Shibs nor resent their success... I liked the Italians better than the Russian dancers, but it was better for Team USA that the Russians beat the Italians...

My heart sank when Satoko beat Bradie by .01, because I knew that was a whole point lost, when in an individual event it wouldn't matter.

All in all, I thought it was exciting and engaging.

That inner conflict :laugh: for me it was:

In men's:
I hoped for Kolyada to redeem himself after that disaster SP, but then Rizzo skated (an I don't even particularly liked Rizzo before), but when he truly out skated himself in the FS, I was so sad to see that he never had a decent chance to get a proper score and place behind Kolyada. On the other hand I was rooting for Patrick because I think it would be nice for him to go home with a gold medal, but then his skating was so out of tune and uninspiring esp. in the SP, that I wished that Han Yan had place above him. With Nathan I'm split, too. On one hand I want to root for him, on the other hand, if he does too well, the media hype is so annoying and his PCS will inflate sky-high.

In ladies:
I really dislike Satoko's jumps, but I really love Satoko's program and skating. On the other hand I love Bradie's jumps, but am not too fond of her skating and am glad that she doesn't get such high inflated PCS. I was rooting for Kaetlyn the most, but at the same time, I think that combo shouldn't have been ratified. I also like Mirai, but am at the same time annoyed that her very obvious UR were overlooked and she really does lack with SS. Same goes for Adam. I wish I could like Alina because her jumps are amazing and have no edge problems, but those inflated PCS annoy me so much that it overshadows everything positive about her.

With pairs:
I, too, don't particularly enjoy SK/K, but was proud they did so well. I dislike T/M especially their FS, but they were fantastic in the SP. I love both Sav/M and S/H and would in an ideal world I'd like them both to tie and get the gold medal.

In ice dance I thought I like the Shibs and don't like C/L, but I was rooting for Capellini/Lanotte because their SD was much more animated and interesting than the Shibs SD.

lavoix

Match Penalty
I wish Weaver/Poje would have also gotten a medal. That seemed a bit unfair to me.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Team Canada definitely showed that they took this event seriously by having their top man/pair for 3 out of 4 disciplines. In generally, I think it was an interesting Team event and there were so many inspired performances during it.
Congrats to the medal-winning teams.

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
More...

Standing on the podium and hearing the anthem was probably one of the most incredible experiences Eric Radford has had, however, along the way, some of his favorite moments in the whole event were just small moments that they shared as a group.
"For example, just before they called Meagan and my name before we competed, I just glanced over at Scott and we just made eye contact and we just gave each other a little nod," he said. "And it is those little, quiet unspoken moments that really means the most."

"I am for the spoken moments, so yay!" said partner Meagan Duhamel. "I go with what everybody else said. We are so honored to be part of this team, to be part of this generation of skating in Canada. I think It's the greatest group of skaters, not just us, but all the figure skaters on the Canadian team here, and we owe everybody a big thank you for the support they gave us."

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
More...

Standing on the podium and hearing the anthem was probably one of the most incredible experiences Eric Radford has had, however, along the way, some of his favorite moments in the whole event were just small moments that they shared as a group.

I love all the cute team moments!

I also love Duhamel/Radford's Olympic moment in the FS -- they really embraced the team event and even done both segments, despite having to turn around and compete again in two days.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've said it before, I'll say it again (cause if not for repeating yourself, what else is the Internet is for:biggrin:):
Canada took it seriously. Canada came to skate for gold. Good for them, and congratulations!:hap85:

I also don't understand the "oh, it's just the team event, it's not the same, who cares". I don't think it's coincidence that almost of all of team Canada was team Canada in 2014, when they won silver. They had been there, they knew what silver felt like, and they wanted gold. :agree:It wasn't some made-up, lesser event to them.
I can also guarantee you that 99% of the folks out there will take Olympic gold seriously, team event, or no.

Maybe some day the skating fandom world will follow.....;)

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Team Canada definitely showed that they took this event seriously by having their top man/pair for 3 out of 4 disciplines. In generally, I think it was an interesting Team event and there were so many inspired performances during it.
Congrats to the medal-winning teams.

In a sense Canada has two "top women", so that substitution was expected and justified. Last year's worlds: Kaetlyn 2, Gaby 3; this year's Nationals: Gaby 1, Katelyn 2.

TwinnerA

Final Flight
Country
United-States
Congratulations, Team Canada. However, according to the NBC Olympics web site, "After the ladies’ free skate, 15-year-old phenom Alina Zagitova clinched gold for Team OAR/Russia. She’s also a gold medal favorite in the ladies’ event, expected to do battle with her training partner, Yevgenia Medvedeva. Both of them are now gold medalists at these Games: Medvedeva skated the short program for the team event while Zagitova did the free skate." Oops!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/tea...irai-nagasu-and-shibutanis?chrcontext=results

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
In a sense Canada has two "top women", so that substitution was expected and justified. Last year's worlds: Kaetlyn 2, Gaby 3; this year's Nationals: Gaby 1, Katelyn 2.

Oh yeah, that substitution made sense to me.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Congratulations, Team Canada. However, according to the NBC Olympics web site, "After the ladies’ free skate, 15-year-old phenom Alina Zagitova clinched gold for Team OAR/Russia. She’s also a gold medal favorite in the ladies’ event, expected to do battle with her training partner, Yevgenia Medvedeva. Both of them are now gold medalists at these Games: Medvedeva skated the short program for the team event while Zagitova did the free skate." Oops!

http://www.nbcolympics.com/news/tea...irai-nagasu-and-shibutanis?chrcontext=results

Of course, the big bold headline for this article says “Canada wins Gold”.:biggrin:
And you need to read eight paragraphs down to get to that part about Alina (after paragraphs about all the Canadians and half the Americans);) I guess they thought the segment winners should get small medals:)

lavender

Record Breaker
Congrats to the Canadian Team. I wanted Patrick to win a gold medal. He's one of my favorite skaters and I think a skater of his caliber for all these years should have a OG.

Also you guys are awesome to be as pumped for Mirai to land that 3 axel. Much love there. I saw it in slow motion and I thought wait...that's the Canadians jumping for Mirai. I almost cried.

millie

Medalist

How did Alina clinch the gold medal for Team OAR when they lost the Gold Medal to Canada. I thought that OAR got silver. How did NBC figure that one out...lol.

el henry

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
How did Alina clinch the gold medal for Team OAR when they lost the Gold Medal to Canada. I thought that OAR got silver. How did NBC figure that one out...lol.

Look at the actual article, it doesn’t say that, it says Canada won. This is about three quarters of the way into the article, and gold is a (not great) way of saying she won the segment.

NBC knows darn well who won the Team Event and said so in the headline:laugh:

Violet Bliss

Record Breaker

I'm surprised they didn't say Mirai cinched Gold for the US.

NanaPat

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I think they meant Zagitova "came first in the ladies' free skate ". They're so used to coming first equalling a gold medal that they wrote it wrong.