Why the Quint is Impossible | Page 2 | Golden Skate

Why the Quint is Impossible

princessalica

Final Flight
Just a guess, but Nathan has conquered the quads, but I don't think he'll try for the quad axel. I mean to be honest Mirai did a better triple axel in the team competition. I could see Nathan trying for the quint ... maybe,

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
If someone was to land a quint I'd say someone of the very youngsters, who have done quads since they were practically in diapers.
Aka Stephen Gogolev

Besides, he has the fastest mid-air rotation recorded. https://goldenskate.com/forum/showt...-Russian-Ladies-skating&p=1954909#post1954909

Fact is, when people say "that's impossible" they are nearly always wrong. Period.

"When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong."

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I think last Olympics they were saying the boots were the current limiting factor to make a quit possible.

sheetz

Record Breaker
Well, under current rules it's unlikely anybody will attempt one since a quint isn't worth anything. Would it even be ratified if it were successful?

Lightstar

On the Ice
To be honest i think it will happen and 10 years ago all the quads seemed to
be impossible and now almost everyone is doing one or more or all...

skatenewbie

Medalist
To be honest i think it will happen and 10 years ago all the quads seemed to
be impossible and now almost everyone is doing one or more or all...
we wont know for sure... for example almost 30 years and only 8 ladies land 3A and only like 4 or 5 attempt quads and none were rotated...well many men can do quads but quint is whole new level

Putina

On the Ice
I do not even think I will enjoy a quint if it lands like a thud as many of today's top jumpers land their jumps. I much prefer jumps with a flow in and out.

Sam L

Medalist
This video is absurd. They talked to one expert on the subject, a few figure skaters, and mostly just showed non-athletic people trying to spin or jump. They talked about rotation speed but not much about air time and height.
Fact is, when people say "that's impossible" they are nearly always wrong. Period.

There’s also such a thing called “the laws of physics”. It tells us it’s impossible to travel faster than light. And it is impossible. So sometimes when things are impossible they really are impossible.

sinnerspinner

On the Ice
I do not even think I will enjoy a quint if it lands like a thud as many of today's top jumpers land their jumps. I much prefer jumps with a flow in and out.

I don't think their joints would like it either. I wonder how much force it would put on their bodies. I wonder how stiff the boot would need to be.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
The only way I can see a quint jump happening is if they skated up very fast to a ramp to get more height? I'd rather see someone attempt or land a 4A first.