Triple Axel launches Nagasu into history | Page 5 | Golden Skate

Triple Axel launches Nagasu into history

As I understand Largeman's point, it is that the line should not be drawn from the point at which her blade leaves the ice, but rather from the direction of her blade when she begins the pre-rotation on the ice. This may seem like cheating, but it is how Axels are done. You could compare Mirai's triple Axel with some triple Axels done by men, such as Evan Lysacek for instance, which were always regarded as OK despite the fact that the first 180 degrees of the required 1215 is actually done before the skater is airborne.

They are basically doing a triple Salchow with a weird entrance -- except that a Salchow is also done with a lot of pre-rotation. That is what I have gotten out of the many discussions of this issue, anyway. (?)

champs

Final Flight
As I understand Largeman's point, it is that the line should not be drawn from the point at which her blade leaves the ice, but rather from the direction of her blade when she begins the pre-rotation on the ice.
The exact point of contact between the blade and the ice from which to draw that straight line as the takeoff point remains "almost" the same whether you choose the moment the prerotation starts at or the moment the blade leaves the ice at, since during the prerotation the left foot doesn't skid. The bolded part in largeman's earlier post:
The thing is, you do not draw that line starting from the point where her blade leaves the ice (in your words, the last frame where she was still on the ice)... Rather, you draw the line in the direction she steps into the jump, which is 90 degrees earlier. So the correct line is actually perpendicular to the line you are drawing, and a fully rotated landing would mean her blade is facing our right-hand direction.
is wrong, as the line drawn by Vanshilar and the line drawn by largeman basically coinside.

largeman

choice beef
Medalist
The exact point of contact between the blade and the ice from which to draw that straight line as the takeoff point remains "almost" the same whether you choose the moment the prerotation starts at or the moment the blade leaves the ice at, since during the prerotation the left foot doesn't skid. The bolded part in largeman's earlier post:

is wrong, as the line drawn by Vanshilar and the line drawn by largeman basically coinside.

Thanks... I guess there was confusion among us when visualizing and describing the "line"/direction against which we evaluate the landing. Looking at the actual line in Vanshilar's later image, I agree that we are in fact in agreement. :laugh: