Adult figure skating | Golden Skate

Adult figure skating

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Hi all,

I have always wanted to learn how to skate. Currently I'm thinking of using it as a reward for weight loss, I'm too heavy to start skating now. I'm curious to see what kind of commitment (and money) are necessary to be competitive *on the adult level* for a person in their early 50s. When I say "competitive" I mean maybe make it to adult nationals. Thanks for any responses. :)

jf12

Final Flight
Ok, first, you're probably NOT too heavy to start skating right now. If you can walk or jog, you can skate. You don't have to start jumping at first. But it's fine to work on skating skills and edges for a while - nothing wrong with that.

When it comes to making it to adult nationals on the championship level, which means qualifying through from sectionals, it's unlikely. The lowest level is silver, and you would be competing against people of all ages, and most people who qualify to nationals through sectionals in silver have an axel. I've never seen anyone who started skating for the first time over 50 to ever get one - but it's possible that they don't want one - and all the falling it involves. The few people who do qualify without an axel will tend to have presentation, skating skills, and spins, that are superior to what you usually see at silver level. I'm not saying it's impossible at all, and there are several older skaters who do qualify in championship - but a lot of them have literally been skating for 30 years. For what their disadvantage is in age, they tend to have a lot of skating experience.

However, both sectionals and nationals have non-qualifying age group and level competition from pre-bronze onwards, where you would be competing with people in the same level and age group. You can just sign up to nationals and go. The goal of entering and doing well in this category is a pretty realistic goal. How much commitment and money this would involve depends on how long you want to take to reach it. If you skated 5 times a week, with 2-4 lessons a week, you might be ready to compete in a pre-bronze non-qualifying in 1-2 years. If you wanted to skate twice a week, with one lesson a week, you would still progress, but a lot slower. I do see a lot of adults who skate just once a week and they do not seem to progress at all. That's just my observation, though.

edit to say - after reading gkelly's informative post, I didn't realize they didn't have pre-bronze level at adult nationals. Many of the sectionals competitions will have it, though.

gkelly

Record Breaker
If you're in the US:

You can enter Adult Nationals directly at the Adult Bronze level after you pass bronze-level tests. There are no qualifying events to get to nationals at that level; at higher levels there are both championship events that skaters qualify for through Adult Sectionals and open events skaters can enter directly.

There are also lower level adult events you can enter at local club competitions or nonqualifying adult competitions, and also at learn-to-skate competitions, so you may be able to get experience competing before you're ready to test to bronze level.

How much will it cost you to pass bronze-level tests? It depends how easily you pick things up. Some people have a good feel for the ice and get the sense of gliding and controlling edges quickly; others are more cautious.

If you skate 3, 4, 5, 6 days a week you'll progress more quickly than if you only skate once or twice a week. More ice time will cost more money, but you can only do what you can afford financially, and also in terms of your available time, and also when your local rink offers appropriate sessions for you to practice on. You might want to start with twice a week and see how that works for you.

You may be able to start with group lessons, which are less expensive. By the time you're ready to start testing, and putting together programs of your own, you may need to switch to private lessons. It will depend on what kinds of instruction your local group lesson program offers beyond the very basics. Some skaters who want to progress quickly at the earlier levels do both. Your best bet would be to start with half an hour per week of instruction and then see whether you want to commit to more. If even that would be a stretch for you financially, when you're ready for private lessons see if you can find a coach who will agree to shorter or less frequent lessons -- but expect to improve more slowly.

Some athletic adult skaters may be able to go from beginner to bronze level in less than a year, but most skaters who start as adults will take longer to get there. If you're interested in freestyle skating, be aware that the bronze freestyle test requires a toe loop, a salchow, and one other single jump. Many adults who start later can learn the toe loop and salchow but then get stuck mastering the harder singles. You might be one who takes naturally to jumping, or you might be one who maxes out sooner.

If you find you have more affinity for edge work and skating to music than for jumps and maybe spins, you might choose to focus on ice dancing or entertainment programs than on freestyle. Or maybe join an adult synchronized skating team if there's an appropriate group in your area.

Check out the relevant links on the USFS Adult Skating page:
http://usfigureskating.org/story?id=83955

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Thanks to both of you for your responses. I suppose the first thing to do is take a class to see if I'd even like it.

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
I'm too heavy to start skating now.)

Nope. I'm 230-ish lbs and I jump, spin and compete. Go for it! ;)

I train twice to three days a week (after work mostly but also Saturday mornings when I can be bothered waking up). I take 1 half hour lesson per week. Hoping to take the test that would put me at Silver level in the next two months. Go for it! :D

Ic3Rabbit

Former Elite, now Pro. ⛸️
Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Definitely take some classes and see how you like it! :) Good luck!

vlaurend

Final Flight
I am an Adult Gold level skater, 53 years old, and I just do 3 freestyle sessions per week (two are 1 hour and the third is 45 minutes) and have one 30-minute lesson per week. BUT I have also been doing this seriously for 16 years and am just trying to maintain my skills at this point, not prepare to pass any higher tests. If you are working toward passing your Pre-bronze moves-in-the-field and freestyle tests, you need to devote twice that much time per week, both in terms of practice time and lesson time.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I am an Adult Gold level skater, 53 years old, and I just do 3 freestyle sessions per week (two are 1 hour and the third is 45 minutes) and have one 30-minute lesson per week. BUT I have also been doing this seriously for 16 years and am just trying to maintain my skills at this point, not prepare to pass any higher tests. If you are working toward passing your Pre-bronze moves-in-the-field and freestyle tests, you need to devote twice that much time per week, both in terms of practice time and lesson time.

The time is not a problem. I have more time than I know what to do with. We'll see what the money would be or if I even want to continue after I take the learn to skate class. I swim competitively but that only takes like 2 hours per day practice.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Sign up for a class and see if you like it. Anyone can skate- it doesn't matter what size you are. Skating is for everyone.

Good luck!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Sign up for a class and see if you like it. Anyone can skate- it doesn't matter what size you are. Skating is for everyone.

Good luck!

I just look at these skaters and see how small they are. Also, there is no way I would wear a short skirt at my size. Everyone should be grateful.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
I just look at these skaters and see how small they are. Also, there is no way I would wear a short skirt at my size. Everyone should be grateful.

The skaters you are seeing on tv are the best of the best (elite) and they do a lot of working out, off ice training, have nutritionist at their fed's teaching them how to eat properly to keep their fat content down and feed their muscles, and also they skate many hours a week.

Not all non-elite or adult skaters look like those you see on tv. So please, if you love skating and want to try, do not let your weight get in the way. And believe me, if you really start to skate even at the lowest levels, it burns many calories. ;)

Mussique

On the Ice

Well, most people wear comfortable clothes at practice aka leggings or skating pants, so don't worry!
I'd feel really weird wearing a skirt as well.
Everyone can skate, so definitely give it a try :)

Tavi...

Record Breaker

Clothes should be lightweight and stretchy - workout wear. You want to be comfortable and able to move easily. Since rinks can get cold, it’s a good idea to dress in layers - something like athletic leggings and a tee under a sweatshirt or zip hoodie jacket. Try Dick’s Sporting Goods or online at Athleta or Lands End if you don’t already have that kind of stuff. Leggings are better than jeans (usually too heavy, not enough stretch and limit movements) or sweat pants (you don’t want anything long and loose at the ankle - it could be dangerous if your blade gets caught).

Other stuff: bring old knit gloves if you have them (not fancy leather or cashmere ones). You may or may not wear them. You will probably rent skates at first. Skate sizing varies, but they should probably be about a size smaller than your street shoes. Your socks should be thin, not thick and wooly. You will probably fall while learning - very normal! So at your first class, ask your instructor about protective gear - wrist guards, a helmet or protective headband like a crasche midi or ice halo, and knee and elbow pads. And ask if your skates are the right size and how to tie them correctly.

One other thing - when you sign up for the class, find out if there are lockers for your shoes and purse, and if so, whether you need a lock or quarters. If there are no lockers, wear your skating clothes and take the minimum stuff with you - like drivers license, keys, phone, and glasses, and put them in jacket pockets while you skate. If you are renting skates they usually take your shoes but not purses and stuff.

Have fun!

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The skaters you are seeing on tv are the best of the best (elite) and they do a lot of working out, off ice training, have nutritionist at their fed's teaching them how to eat properly to keep their fat content down and feed their muscles, and also they skate many hours a week.

Not all non-elite or adult skaters look like those you see on tv. So please, if you love skating and want to try, do not let your weight get in the way. And believe me, if you really start to skate even at the lowest levels, it burns many calories. ;)

Of course. But the skaters I saw on icenetwork that were at adult nationals still look thin to me. Was a nutritionist teaching Adam to eat 3 slices of bread per day?

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Clothes should be lightweight and stretchy - workout wear. You want to be comfortable and able to move easily. Since rinks can get cold, it’s a good idea to dress in layers - something like athletic leggings and a tee under a sweatshirt or zip hoodie jacket. Try Dick’s Sporting Goods or online at Athleta or Lands End if you don’t already have that kind of stuff. Leggings are better than jeans (usually too heavy, not enough stretch and limit movements) or sweat pants (you don’t want anything long and loose at the ankle - it could be dangerous if your blade gets caught).

Other stuff: bring old knit gloves if you have them (not fancy leather or cashmere ones). You may or may not wear them. You will probably rent skates at first. Skate sizing varies, but they should probably be about a size smaller than your street shoes. Your socks should be thin, not thick and wooly. You will probably fall while learning - very normal! So at your first class, ask your instructor about protective gear - wrist guards, a helmet or protective headband like a crasche midi or ice halo, and knee and elbow pads. And ask if your skates are the right size and how to tie them correctly.

One other thing - when you sign up for the class, find out if there are lockers for your shoes and purse, and if so, whether you need a lock or quarters. If there are no lockers, wear your skating clothes and take the minimum stuff with you - like drivers license, keys, phone, and glasses, and put them in jacket pockets while you skate. If you are renting skates they usually take your shoes but not purses and stuff.

Have fun!

Thank you. The rink is at the same gym I swim at. There is a figure skating rink and a hockey rink and 2 pools, and they have a locker room I keep my stuff in when I swim. I figure I can skate first, then swim, because I don't think skating with wet hair would be fun.

I have "learn to skate" gloves I got at Nationals! I will definitely want wrist guards. The last time I attempted roller skating, I fell so much I quit because I was afraid I'd snap a wrist and I type for a living so that would be quite bad in addition to being painful. My doctor is concerned if I fall I may not be able to get back up. So that is a consideration.

Ic3Rabbit

Record Breaker
Country
Olympics
Of course. But the skaters I saw on icenetwork that were at adult nationals still look thin to me. Was a nutritionist teaching Adam to eat 3 slices of bread per day?

No. At that point Adam did not have a nutritionist.

gkelly

Record Breaker
Of course. But the skaters I saw on icenetwork that were at adult nationals still look thin to me.

The levels of adult skating that are shown on Ice Network are the more advanced adult levels and so will tend to have more physically fit participants. Although some skaters had been high level as kids and came back as adults may be far from their teenage shape and still be required to compete adult at their final test level.

At lower level adult events there are all sorts of sizes and shapes and most adult skaters tend to be pretty welcoming to anyone who joins in.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Thank you. The rink is at the same gym I swim at. There is a figure skating rink and a hockey rink and 2 pools, and they have a locker room I keep my stuff in when I swim. I figure I can skate first, then swim, because I don't think skating with wet hair would be fun.

I have "learn to skate" gloves I got at Nationals! I will definitely want wrist guards. The last time I attempted roller skating, I fell so much I quit because I was afraid I'd snap a wrist and I type for a living so that would be quite bad in addition to being painful. My doctor is concerned if I fall I may not be able to get back up. So that is a consideration.

Sounds like a great set up!

Re your post above, I wouldn’t worry about how the skaters at adult nationals look or skate compared to you - they’re competitive skaters and have been at it for years. Many skated as kids and some are even former elite skaters. Even if you’re extremely athletic and talented, it will be awhile before you start jumping and it could take several years before you’re ready to compete, if that’s what you want to do. You don’t have to look perfect or be thin to start learning. Just enjoy the process, and see if you like it.

In your position I would definitely buy wrist guards. I bought mine after breaking my left wrist. I use Demon Flexmeter. They’re expensive but were designed by a doctor for snowboarders. You can definitely find cheaper ones, but do your research before buying. If you go with Demon, be aware they run small, so pay attention to the listed measurements!

https://demonsnow.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=337

For some (but not full) head protection, check these:

http://crasche.com/

http://www.icehalo.com/

jf12

Final Flight
If you’re a competitive swimmer showing up in a swimsuit, a short skirt will be nothing to stress about once you get used to it 😀

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
If you’re a competitive swimmer showing up in a swimsuit, a short skirt will be nothing to stress about once you get used to it 😀

I wouldn't exactly call myself "competitive." I compete on the Senior Olympic level. For the local and state Senior Olympics all you have to do is be 51 or over and for the National Senior Olympics you have to qualify with time. My time is not anywhere close to making the Senior Olympics. I usually win the 100 fly because no one else in my age group is doing it. I usually come in last in everything else. I wish there was something like this for skating. All our Senior Olympics are summer sports. And I had to give up being embarrassed in a swimsuit but I have a one piece with legs. Unfortunately I've been steadily gaining weight since I started a year and a half ago. The people at the pool who sese how much and how often I swim are astonished, but it is true, thus the weight watchers. End thread hijack.