Rippon: "I am America's sweetheart!" | Golden Skate

Rippon: "I am America's sweetheart!"

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Rippon stands by his words on being open honest, especially during his Olympic experience in Pyeongchang.

"It is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity," he said, "and I wanted to be be open and honest about it and fun with the media. It's a whole part of it that I wanted to enjoy and I enjoyed every single second. I am America's sweetheart!"

More...

Last edited:

GGFan

Record Breaker
It's amazing in the course of my lifetime to see an openly gay skater embraced by America this way. I mean regular people are talking about Adam in a way that's not embracing his exoticism as a gay person, but just embracing him for being a great skater who is comfortable with himself.

Thrilled that I got to see the Bird program again on Olympic ice! That program is all his and he grabs the crowd's attention and does not let it go throughout. +100 for the layback!! :love::hap93:

millie

Medalist
To be honest, if all the men’s programs, Adams program is etched in my heart. He may not have the big jumps but she sure has the presentation. Great job buddy...

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
To be honest, if all the men’s programs, Adams program is etched in my heart. He may not have the big jumps but she sure has the presentation. Great job buddy...

Yep, him, Misha Ge, Chan that second Canadian American lol guy Keegan something and a few others had programs. I mean in scoring system the right person won. But asmuch as Nathan has improved hisprogram was a jump fest in yet another Vera Wang costume I assume which had little todo with the program - it was almost like I am wearing Vera give me ten points.

But Adam shined and not because of his costume. Then there are dreadful, horrific programs like Kolyada and Zhou. Adam keep beating to a different drum. I am not sure he is American's sweetheart. Wait for the ladies first please.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Keegan Messing.

Happy for Adam. I have loved The Flock of Birds program since the first time I saw it last GP season.

The look on Adam's face every time he skated this Olympics was inspirational. He was happy to be there, genuinely moved by his reception and his Olympic experience. If only all of the Athletes could feel about their time at the Olympics the way Adam does I think it would help revive the Olympic movement. Joy within the struggle.

Proxy

On the Ice
I don't like Adam's skating and I dislike his "me, me, me" routine, but that said I'm glad he made it to the Olympics and had two good skates. If people cheer for him for off-ice reasons, that's fine too. Everyone needs role models. This was a good way to end his career. Enjoy that stiff drink!

Adam and Ashley grated during this entire season, and they somehow surpassed themselves during the Olympics.

Anyway congrats on the top 10 finish. I dislike his SP, but his LP had the potential to be beautiful. He didn't once skate it again as beautifully as he did at SA, though. I can't get behind Ashley's comments on twitter about crossovers not winning after seeing this, but hey wouldn't be Twitter without a healthy dose of hypocrisy.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Adam and Ashley grated during this entire season, and they somehow surpassed themselves during the Olympics.

Anyway congrats on the top 10 finish. I dislike his SP, but his LP had the potential to be beautiful. He didn't once skate it again as beautifully as he did at SA, though. I can't get behind Ashley's comments on twitter about crossovers not winning after seeing this, but hey wouldn't be Twitter without a healthy dose of hypocrisy.

What did Ashley say about crossovers?

What did Ashley say about crossovers?

She kept saying how Boyang shouldn't medal because he keeps doing crossovers and jumps.

Disregarding the fact that this is underselling him (and that I think the right people were on the podium), this is hypocritical to me because she said nothing about Nathan's or Vincent's performances also having similar problems. Even Adam doesn't really have all that much going on with his TR, yet she decided to pick on just Boyang.

And that's not to mention her own skating, which people are pointing out to her, and she's replying with "Guess what, I already went to the Olympics." :rolleye:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Ashley is the last person who should comment about doing crossovers. :laugh:

I'm happy for Adam and he certainly made the most of his abilities, but for Ashley to throw shade at Boyang for crossovers is dumb when her own training mate (not to mention her) does a lot of them too -- and that's without doing any quads.

Last edited:
Ashley is the last person to comment about doing crossovers. :laugh:

I'm happy for Adam and he certainly made the most of his abilities, but for Ashley to throw shade at Boyang for crossovers is dumb when her own training mate (not to mention her) does a lot of them too.

Her tweets are ridiculous. Her foot was already permanently wedged into her mouth, and now I guess it's penetrating out of her skull. Boyang has achieved more than she ever has in his three years as a senior.

I understand, but there are just no transitions in the program. I don't mean for it to be mean, it's just how I see it. Technically he's strong, but as we saw today there needs to be more than technique to get into the podium.

[regarding Shoma's performance] Please Shine. Crossovers can't medal at the #olympics

And yet she did. :)

A world silver too! :O I wonder what's wrong with the judging system?!

I'm assuming she would have said the same had Nathan been ahead of Boyang? No? OH!

I'd take strong technique over "artistry" with inflated PCS anyday.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
:eek:topic:

That said, while I disagree personally with several of Ashley tweets I feel it's important to mention that she did poke fun at herself and say "yes, all I did was crossovers too." Proof: https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010/status/964369428950364161

That's good and all, but she still created the perception that Boyang's program is all crossovers, which just isn't true. It could stand to use more transitions soon...but pretty much at the top men have cut back on them.

Sorry for the off topic -- but Boyang has worked so HARD to be more than jumps and crossovers that I just feel such comments are disrespectful. I just wonder if Ashley would like it if some random skater in Europe tweeted that about her.

Last edited: