Calgary 88 Battle of Brians Documentary | Golden Skate

Calgary 88 Battle of Brians Documentary

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
For anyone who's interested, thttp://stream.nbcolympics.com/calgary-88his documentary is now streaming on NBCOlympics.com. It may be geolocked, I don't know. If so, use your vpn! It brought back many memories for me.

http://stream.nbcolympics.com/calgary-88

GGFan

Record Breaker
Thank you for this. In general there was some great footage and it was an interesting choice to cover both "battles" by moving back and forth between the two stories. It's fascinating to see these interviews with the 4 athletes over the years. The stories largely stay the same but the perspective differs as they move further away. Some thoughts:

1. It's interesting how the story of Witt being a warrior to continue skating is just standard now. In some ways I think they dropped the ball in not delving deeper into that motivation. They could have also acknowledged that she was not the best on the night. Liz Manley always gets left out!! :dev2:Not to mention Midori :biggrin:

2. They discuss Debi's problems with her coach and her being focused on her boyfriend, but somehow those explanations do not feel satisfying. I wish they'd interviewed more sources about what happened there. What was her training like right before the games for example?

3. They were very kind to Debi Thomas. They could have questioned some of her claims and the like but they just let the viewer decide. The comparison between her and Witt today ;) :devil:

4. It was awesome to finally see a Brian Orser who has completely moved on. He discussed everything with none of the hurt and disappointment in himself I used to feel before. :luv17:

5. I don't care for how Brian Boitano's story just gets played as one of perfection and never missing because politically Orser was favored. They could have discussed '86 and '87 and Boitano's weaknesses and how he worked to improve them to change the result of 87. Oh well it's not my film :laugh2:

synteis

Medalist
CBC has been running a mini-documentary on the same thing as a short fluff-type piece. I wonder if they're the same or if the people involved were just interviewed twice. Both of them did seem at piece with what had happened. BOrser in particular mentioned that his loss has allowed him to be a better coach to his athletes because he's been in that situation. He really seemed to have completed shifted perspective and priorities. That was this past, his athletes are the present and the future.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
2. They discuss Debi's problems with her coach and her being focused on her boyfriend, but somehow those explanations do not feel satisfying. I wish they'd interviewed more sources about what happened there. What was her training like right before the games for example?

3. They were very kind to Debi Thomas. They could have questioned some of her claims and the like but they just let the viewer decide. The comparison between her and Witt today ;) :devil:

I loved Debi Thomas and in no way felt a bronze was a disaster. She's been diagnosed with bipolar and as a person with bipolar myself I'm astonished she was able to achieve all she did.

GGFan

Record Breaker
I forgot to mention I've always found it fascinating how much more 88 affected Brian than 84. I understand why it's the case (he was older, the defending world champion, it was at home, it was so close, etc), but in 84 he actually won 2/3 of the competition. For most of the world, who didn't watch figures, he appeared to be the best skater because he won the short and long.

Human psychology is also fascinating in that for the vast majority of us it would be preferable to have done worse rather than to have been so close. :think:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Calgary 88 NBC Fluff piece on now!

A deeper look at the single contenders in 1988: Katarina Witt, Debi Thomas, Brian Orser and Brian Boitano.

It's really good so far. Anyone else watching?

Last edited:

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
It's nice to see them talk to Debi about skating for once.

They're going segment by segment, which is cool! Compulsory figures!

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Interesting to hear her coach saying that basically Debi was focused on her boyfriend at the time and not focus on winning OGM.

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now talking about the SP between the Brians.
Interesting to hear Brian Orser. "I knew I won the short program!"

Mrs. P

Uno, Dos, twizzle!
Record Breaker
Now ladies
Debi: Nailed it! "Go on YouTube. Watch my short program!"

GGFan

Record Breaker
Now talking about the SP between the Brians.
Interesting to hear Brian Orser. "I knew I won the short program!"

Is this the documentary with all four of them? If it is there was a thread where we discussed it.

CoyoteChris

Record Breaker
A deeper look at the single contenders in 1988: Katarina Witt, Debi Thomas, Brian Orser and Brian Boitano.

It's really good so far. Anyone else watching?

I recorded this on NBC rabbit ears a day or two ago. It is about an hour of your time and it is a fantastic Documentary, and I dont say that lightly. You get to see the footage of the battle of the Brians and Carmens, as well as hear from the skaters and coaches. It is very moving. No promises, but if it doesnt appear on youtube or ? I can make a copy to a DVD and people can copy the DVD and pass it around or just watch mine and pass it around. It is THAT important. I had no idea Katrina Witt as offered her freedom if she brought home the gold medal....how's THAT for Olympic pressure?????

stolbovadivas

Match Penalty
That was hands down the most popular and TV friendly era for skating EVER. The classic rivalries- the Brians, Debi vs Katarina, Katarina vs Manley, the cold war between Russia and East Germany vs Canada and the U.S, the young unprecedented sensation Ito, the amazing crowds in Calgary and Cincinnati, the iconic programs of Torvill & Dean, the height of Russian greatness in dance and pairs, the incomparable Gordeeva & Grinkov, young hotshots Browning and Petrenko and the first ever quad by Browning. Just too many superlatives. Wow I miss those days so much, and I was only a tiny kid then.

iluvtodd

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm so glad we were able to watch this one. My only reservation about it was that Midori Ito wasn't included in it. :cry: