Artistic comp as new part of Broadmoor Open | Golden Skate

Artistic comp as new part of Broadmoor Open

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2018 Broadmoor Open will include a new artistic event -- with thousands of dollars of prize money at stake :cool:.

Peggy Fleming Trophy Event
June 22, 2018
“A Special Artistic Event for Juniors and Seniors”
Cash Prizes & a Special Critique from Peggy Fleming

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/events/broadmoor/

More information:

The inaugural Peggy Fleming Trophy ... will be limited to 16 Senior and Junior Men &/or Ladies entries. Both Men and Ladies will compete in the same event for the Trophy.

The primary focus of the event will be on the skater’s ability to artistically express and present a complete composition while demonstrating technical skills.

Performances will be scored based on both a minimum technical framework and five specially defined components evaluating the artistry of each program and skater. The duration of the program will be 3:30 (plus or minus 10 seconds).

The technical framework of the program will consist of 8 elements:
3 jump elements
3 spin elements
1 step sequence
1 signature move​
These eight technical elements will have a fixed value and will receive GOE marks based on the artistic execution of the element in relationship to the program as a whole.

The Trophy and prize ($3000) will be awarded to the first place finish, and a prize will be awarded to the Silver ($2000) and Bronze ($1000) podium positions. ...

http://broadmoorskatingclub.com/peggy-fleming-artistic-trophy/

My gut reaction is that it sorta seems both comparable to and the "opposite" of Aerial Challenge?
Meaning that like Aerial Challenge, PFT will have a specialized focus. But in contrast to Aerial Challenge (which has rewarded jumps), PFT will reward artistry.

Peggy Fleming's signature appears at the end of the description of the PFT on the last two pages of the Announcement for 2018 Broadmoor Open.

ETA (on May 31):

As of May 29, Peggy Fleming Trophy is scheduled for 5:45 - 9:00 pm on Fri Jun 22.​

musicfan80

Medalist
What a great idea for a competition! And a chance to make some money! :biggrin:

But I will admit that I became a bit sad because one of my first thoughts was that I this would have been the perfect competition for someone like Joshua Farris. Sigh. :(

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Also of note:

The regular part of the Broadmoor Open for juniors and seniors will serve as a test competition for the new IJS -5 to +5 scoring & the new scale of values. It will also feature the new shorter FS times with the 7-jump limit.

Interesting - have changes to the scale of values been approved?

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
OK, I’ll be the one to say it and get grief for it: Paging Jason Brown:laugh:

(although I would like to have seen Josh, but that as far as performing, that ship has sailed :sad21:)

I wonder if “Russian split” qualifies as a signature move? Also, paging almost any one of our junior men;). And Jason's been such a trooper about doing the aerial challenge, even though jumps are not his forté, I wonder if some “jumpers” might enter as well?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Also of note:

The regular part of the Broadmoor Open for juniors and seniors will serve as a test competition for the new IJS -5 to +5 scoring & the new scale of values. It will also feature the new shorter FS times with the 7-jump limit. ...

Yes, I had posted in another thread about the IJS stuff re 2018 Broadmoor Open.

Was hoping to keep the discussion (if any :)) in this thread on the new Peggy Fleming Trophy for artistry.

Agree that 2018 Broadmoor Open will be extra-interesting for multiple reasons. :popcorn:

Tavi...

Record Breaker
OK, I’ll be the one to say it and get grief for it: Paging Jason Brown:laugh:

(although I would like to have seen Josh, but that as far as performing, that ship has sailed :sad21:)

I wonder if “Russian split” qualifies as a signature move? Also, paging almost any one of our junior men;). And Jason's been such a trooper about doing the aerial challenge, even though jumps are not his forté, I wonder if some “jumpers” might enter as well?

Are you kidding? :)

Spiral.

Lots of guys can do a decent Russian split. No guys (and few girls) do a spiral like Jason.

ETA wasn’t this something Alexander Lakernik talked about as a possible future - one technical and one artistic program?

karne

in Emergency Backup Mode
Record Breaker
Country
Australia
But I will admit that I became a bit sad because one of my first thoughts was that I this would have been the perfect competition for someone like Joshua Farris. Sigh. :(

*hopeful mumbling* 3 jumps and spins - those are GOE only, it wouldn't have to be triples...

What I wouldn't give to see Josh and Jason head to head in an artistic comp!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
... ETA wasn’t this something Alexander Lakernik talked about as a possible future - one technical and one artistic program?

Yes. :agree:

*hopeful mumbling* 3 jumps and spins - those are GOE only, it wouldn't have to be triples...

What I wouldn't give to see Josh and Jason head to head in an artistic comp!

Maybe Josh could serve as a judge?
Aerial Challenge has had some former skaters (e.g., R Flatt, IIRC?) as what were billed as "celebrity" judges.

I hope that Alex Johnson :luv17: will compete.
Plus Torgashev.
Plus Jason of course.

I wonder which ladies will be interested?

ETA:
I hope Angela Wang will be interested (if still competing).
And ... paging Ashley Wagner :devil:. Although if(?) she still is competing, doubtful that even a stateside summer comp would entice her.​

frida80

Record Breaker
This sounds like that proposed artistic program the ISU wants to discuss implementing. Hmmm

Tavi...

Record Breaker
I wonder if national/international competitors will compete compete? The prize money is pretty good ($3000=what you get for a 4th place finish on GP but you don’t have to pay your coaches expenses overseas), but it means preparing a third competitive program with different length and requirements, right when they’re gearing up for the new season.

elbkup

Power without conscience is a savage weapon
Medalist
Country
United-States
It may even be incentive for jumpers (Nathan, Vincent, et al) to enter in an effort to up their artistic game... :slink:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
'The Peggy Fleming Trophy event page has been updated with some new stuff:

- Additional Event Information & Explanation of Scoring

- Five embedded videos showing examples of "signature moves."

Two from Peggy Fleming herself: layback spin and delayed axel.

Boitano: death drop.

Cassar: spread eagles.

and ....​

Tennell: flying cross-sit spin. Pretty cool :cool: for Bradie that she is included among the examples.

ETA (on May 23):

A sixth embedded video has been added. Cohen: back extension into forward spiral.​

- An image of what the trophy will look like? (Artist's rendering?)​

:agree: Excerpt from the new pdf link with Additional Event Information:

3 Jumps (minimum of two revolutions for each):
1 toe jump
1 edge jump
1 jump pass with a minimum of 2 listed jumps (unlimited revolutions)​

3 Spins (min. of six revs. for each spin):
1 spin in one position (can fly and change feet)
1 combination spin with a min. of one change of foot (can fly)
1 creative spin of choice​

Interspectator

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to this! Is it a National or International competition? --I mean, I know it's a club competition, but is there a chance we'll get some international skaters anyway?

frida80

Record Breaker
This has Jason written all over this. I hope he participates because I can't wait to see him win this.

4everchan

Record Breaker
Country
Martinique
looks like same elements as SP from before when they nixed the 2nd steps...will have to see how it unfolds before making an opinion

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
The emphasis is on the “composition as a whole”:luv17:

And, having recently seen others try to do splits in the same show as Jason, sorry.... they weren’t of the same quality. only Toller did splits of Jason’s quality (or vice versa). Although maybe the four splits in a row should be his signature move:)

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Comparing artistic programs has potential to be a huge can of worms but likely a true catalyst for forums like this. For better or for worse. Buckle up :popcorn:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
I'm looking forward to this! Is it a National or International competition? --I mean, I know it's a club competition, but is there a chance we'll get some international skaters anyway?

In the absence of official word one way or the other re international skaters, I will venture to express the following caveat (although I would love to be proven wrong):

The three years of Aerial Challenge (which has been sorta analogous as part of Broadmoor Open) unfortunately never have had international entries.

The information for the first year of Aerial Challenge originally had said that it would be open to international skaters. (And IIRC, Liam Firus and Brendan Kerry [for example] were on an early list of entries that was publicized.)
But then some kind of glitch arose (maybe something about USFS sanctioning, IIRC?), and international skaters were excluded from the first year.

Nor did the second and third years of AC have any international skaters (and those years never seemed to have even any possibility that they would be included in the first place).​

As for U.S. skaters, more names (in no particular order) for my wish list :pray::

Camden Pulkinen, Jordan Moeller, Sean Rabbitt, Tim Dolensky, Emmy Ma, Emily Chan, ... :)

And like others in this thread, I hope that some skaters who are not especially known for artistry will take an interest.

(In parallel, the idea of Aerial Challenge was to encourage good jumping from all skaters.)

Interspectator

Record Breaker
In the absence of official word one way or the other re international skaters, I will venture to express the following caveat (although I would love to be proven wrong):

The three years of Aerial Challenge (which has been sorta analogous as part of Broadmoor Open) unfortunately never have had international entries.

The information for the first year of Aerial Challenge originally had said that it would be open to international skaters. (And IIRC, Liam Firus and Brendan Kerry [for example] were on an early list of entries that was publicized.)
But then some kind of glitch arose (maybe something about USFS sanctioning, IIRC?), and international skaters were excluded from the first year.

Nor did the second and third years of AC have any international skaters (and those years never seemed to have even any possibility that they would be included in the first place).​

As for U.S. skaters, more names (in no particular order) for my wish list :pray::

Camden Pulkinen, Jordan Moeller, Sean Rabbitt, Tim Dolensky, Emmy Ma, Emily Chan, ... :)

And like others in this thread, I hope that some skaters who are not especially known for artistry will take an interest.

(In parallel, the idea of Aerial Challenge was to encourage good jumping from all skaters.)

Thanks for the information. :thumbsup: There are a lot of American skaters I'd be interested to see in this division. Jason in particular.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
looks like same elements as SP from before when they nixed the 2nd steps...will have to see how it unfolds before making an opinion

True but about a whole extra minute of time which has to be a choreographer’s dream.

I like the layout and would love to see something like this replace the FS in regular competitions which I often find feels too long.