2018-19 Coaching Changes | Golden Skate

2018-19 Coaching Changes

shiroKJ

Back to the forest you go.
Record Breaker
With the 2018 Olympic cycle coming to an end, we're bound to have some shake-ups in the coaching world.

Has there been any confirmed changes? Speculations? Closed door whispers? Discuss! :popcorn:

MaiKatze

Record Breaker
Arutunian is always described as a very tough coach by the german commentators, and Marin was described as 'lazy' by Hamada, her japanese coach. If this is really true, Marin really is out for blood. Mad respect for her to do such a move.

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
Arutunian is always described as a very tough coach by the german commentators, and Marin was described as 'lazy' by Hamada, her japanese coach. If this is really true, Marin really is out for blood. Mad respect for her to do such a move.

Yes, but if she’s called “lazy” why would she go to such a tough coach? It doesn’t seem to make much sense.

lavoix

Match Penalty

I can't imagine Hamada (who always looks so sweet) as describing her student as lazy.

blackey

On the Ice
Ughhhh when will this whole lazy discussion ever stop? Marin is never lazy, and Hamada didn't do this to call her out. She said it to the media so the media could stop only saying the positive part about her. When you have a super talented student and she hadn't have time to develop her full potential but the media just won't shut up praising her that's just what a good coach does.

irriya

On the Ice
I can't imagine Hamada (who always looks so sweet) as describing her student as lazy.

I think I read that report. She did criticize Marin not practice enough. For example, Marin was not very good at spins, and sometimes, she didn't want to do spin practice. I can understand that, because you have Satoko in the same group who worked so hard from recovery, it's easy to see the difference. And she said the media had praised her too much, like title her '2nd Mao' etc. I do think the Japanese media wanted to make another super star because Marin did well in Jr world for 2 years, and she's nice looking adorable girl, not to say in a famous family. A lot of people put a lot expectation on her. But adult world is never easy. To see the big gap between Marin and Alina in the first senior year makes me really sad. Just as Marin said, she needed some time to rethink her career and make a change.

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
According to Tom Dickson, one of the choreographers who works with the Hamada camp, Marin is "lazy" compared to the group, but she is averaged compared to American standards, so I do think lazy is not the right word. Besides, in another interview earlier this season, Marin described her practice routine as following what Daisuke did, which was once daily. Compare this to Satoko who does seven free skates run through a day, wouldn't one compared to seven be considered "lazy"?

lovaticcanada

On the Ice
TSL is saying that Marin and Taichi are moving to Raf on their twitter, so I guess its likely, since their sources (from the US) are credible.

rnois13

On the Ice
Yes, but if she’s called “lazy” why would she go to such a tough coach? It doesn’t seem to make much sense.
She went to Raf because she needed a proper jump technique and boot fix. Hamada is also tough so maybe it won't be too different?

AshWagsFan

Edges for days.
Final Flight
Country
United-States
She went to Raf because she needed a proper jump technique and boot fix. Hamada is also tough so maybe it won't be too different?

Ok, thanks for the info! Hamada is tough, but she seems more uplifting and energetic with the skaters than Rafael. Maybe she’s more intense during practice, however.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Is Jason still switching coaches? I wish he'd go to Orser. I know Orser doesn't coach US Skaters, but I can still wish!