Questions on scoring Ladies LP | Golden Skate

Questions on scoring Ladies LP

skateluvr

Record Breaker
Did Satoko ? and Katelyn. Get highest marks they deserved? I don’t feel Carolina deserved those marks. How do the COP experts feel? She was the best of Sochi but this season has been really just out with her scores. Am I off?

Lastly what is the reason for the tough scoring of Masha. I really thought at her best she easily could be bronze. I love her. Can we explain her scoring? She was barely ever mentioned by these commentators. :confused: scoring expertise explanation requested. Thank you.

Figure 8's

On the Ice
Did Satoko ? and Katelyn. Get highest marks they deserved? I don’t feel Carolina deserved those marks. How do the COP experts feel? She was the best of Sochi but this season has been really just out with her scores. Am I off?

Lastly what is the reason for the tough scoring of Masha. I really thought at her best she easily could be bronze. I love her. Can we explain her scoring? She was barely ever mentioned by these commentators. :confused: scoring expertise explanation requested. Thank you.

Frankly, I thought the scoring was very fair. Remember even in the old 6.0 system, The techical mark always carried more weight than the Artistic score. Often it was the deciding factor as it is now.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Frankly, I thought the scoring was very fair. Remember even in the old 6.0 system, The techical mark always carried more weight than the Artistic score. Often it was the deciding factor as it is now.

That's not quite correct. In 6.0, the artistic mark was the tie-breaker for the free skate, and it very often decided the winner in favor of the more artistic skater. Of course, the tech had to be there.

The tech score was the tie breaker in the SP, but the SP only counted 1/3, while the free counted 2/3 for the overall.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
All of the final 6 were overscored horrifically. The person who should have won, won.
No. They were all overscored (compared to a 2010 range of scores), but there were various degrees of overscoring, from the craziest of the crazy (Alina's 75) to some pretty reasonable scores (Satoko's 71), and that's precisely the problem.

No. They were all overscored (compared to a 2010 range of scores), but there were various degrees of overscoring, from the craziest of the crazy (Alina's 75) to some pretty reasonable scores (Satoko's 71), and that's precisely the problem.

On PCS? I agree. You're ignoring TES.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Almost none of them were particulary inspiring. Backloading wins over miming, Yeah, great, I don't care. Evgenia was defeated by her own tactics, and also Alina has better jumps, but the backloading kills it for me. Even Osmond's FS is a weakness this year, and I didn't care for the rest of the Top 10 neither, maybe with a few exceptions. I just can't enjoy ladies these days, and it will be probably getting worse.

(This is not shaming people who still enjoy the skaters out there, I have some favourites there, of you like the skaters, go for it, it's just I feel they didn't deliver or had too many weaknesses and were overscored.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Regarding TES, Satoko had a clear combo UR that went uncalled. Sakamoto had flutz e that was called, Osmond had ! flutz that was called, Medvedeva had e flutz that got +2 +3 GOE.

Overall, Medvedeva should have scored around 5 less TES, Satoko around 4 less TES. Zagitova should have won in TES by a mile and should have been the winner, even if her PCS had been more reasonable here.

Overall, I don't think any of this changes the final order at all.

NadezhdaNadya

Final Flight

I feel that Maria Sotskova, Choi Da-Bin and Kaori Sakamoto all did better than Carolina.

ks777

Record Breaker
Carolina's PCS were too high for me. To be honest, Carolina's skating does nothing for me. I have been watching her skating since she was a jr skater but never a fan of her skating. It's really weird to hear people gushing about her music interpretation skills because I never felt anything watching her skate, ever.

nolangoh

Steps and Spirals enthusiast
Record Breaker
Satoko has the best program. She performed by using appropriate and relevant gestures, expressive steps and a dramatic spiral. She also ends with an absolutely gorgeous layback resonating with the lyricism of the music. ALL movements relate to the music. Certainly deserves 9 in artistic components.

Kaetlyn gave a fierce performance of Black Swan (finally). At some moment she gave those death glares and faces which were very on point. Not my favourite body or arm choreography, but she totally sold it.

Carolina was a bit off today, it was not the best Faun.

Alina just doing the work.

Evgenia gave a nice performance. Her best FS so far. But there is no way this program should get a higher artistic score (and actually TES too) than the others. Many of her jumps, despite the arm thing which is so overrated, are not THAT impressive. Should deserve +1 or +2 only. She may hit some of the positive GOE bullets but she also hit something in the GOE reduction guidelines (loss of flow/rhythm, especially in her combos). Spins and steps and spirals are not the best either, the guidelines of the negative GOE apply.

No one imo should get higher than 145 for the FS. Some GOEs and PCS were given too generously, to a point that it is out of control. We are seeing more ice-jumping instead of ice-skating.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Carolina's PCS were too high for me. To be honest, Carolina's skating does nothing for me. I have been watching her skating since she was a jr skater but never a fan of her skating. It's really weird to hear people gushing about her music interpretation skills because I never felt anything watching her skate, ever.

Agreed. And for basic skating skills and such Satoko for instance just is better. I don't think Kostner's very good at interpreting, especially the emoting is weak and disconnected. One of those eternal mysteries for me.

ks777

Record Breaker
Agreed. And for basic skating skills and such Satoko for instance just is better. I don't think Kostner's very good at interpreting, especially the emoting is weak and disconnected. One of those eternal mysteries for me.

yes! ITA.

FSGMT

Record Breaker
On PCS? I agree. You're ignoring TES.
There were various degrees there, too. Satoko and Evgenia were judged very leniently, for example, whereas Kaori and Carolina were judged quite harshly. The problem for me it's precisely that there were so many different standards for different skaters that one can't almost compare scores, it's as if they were all from different competitions. Just look at kaori's lutz and Caro's UR 1Lo (all correct calls) and then Satoko's URs overlooked and Evgenia's lutz receiving +1.60 :confused2:

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Regarding TES, Satoko had a clear combo UR that went uncalled. Sakamoto had flutz e that was called, Osmond had ! flutz that was called, Medvedeva had e flutz that got +2 +3 GOE.

Overall, Medvedeva should have scored around 5 less TES, Satoko around 4 less TES. Zagitova should have won in TES by a mile and should have been the winner, even if her PCS had been more reasonable here.

Overall, I don't think any of this changes the final order at all.

The Russians have always been ridiculosly overscored on PCS, which makes the giant push for them. Kaetlyn not so much, but she can be overscored as well but from the Top 3 I find her the best, at least her jumps have actually quality (except that finally called Lutz). This is not me saying the results should have necessaruly different, Tbh, I don't that much. Tbh, I don't really gush not even about Satoko who seems not so inspiring this year to me.

jiawen2016

On the Ice
It looks like the tech panel was pretty lenient overall, same as in other disciplines. The few skaters who got called for URs are the American ladies (both Bradie and Karen have two <) and those who train in America (Rajicova, Paganini...)

Proxy

On the Ice
Carolina was ridiculously overscored. Sakamoto should have been 5th and without the mistake, I would have her ahead of Miyahara at least.

There were various degrees there, too. Satoko and Evgenia were judged very leniently, for example, whereas Kaori and Carolina were judged quite harshly. The problem for me it's precisely that there were so many different standards for different skaters that one can't almost compare scores, it's as if they were all from different competitions. Just look at kaori's lutz and Caro's UR 1Lo (all correct calls) and then Satoko's URs overlooked and Evgenia's lutz receiving +1.60 :confused2:

Overall, horrific. :confused2:

randomfan

Record Breaker
Satoko has the best program. She performed by using appropriate and relevant gestures, expressive steps and a dramatic spiral. She also ends with an absolutely gorgeous layback resonating with the lyricism of the music. ALL movements relate to the music. Certainly deserves 9 in artistic components.

Kaetlyn gave a fierce performance of Black Swan (finally). At some moment she gave those death glares and faces which were very on point. Not my favourite body or arm choreography, but she totally sold it.

Carolina was a bit off today, it was not the best Faun.

Alina just doing the work.

Evgenia gave a nice performance. Her best FS so far. But there is no way this program should get a higher artistic score (and actually TES too) than the others. Many of her jumps, despite the arm thing which is so overrated, are not THAT impressive. Should deserve +1 or +2 only. She may hit some of the positive GOE bullets but she also hit something in the GOE reduction guidelines (loss of flow/rhythm, especially in her combos). Spins and steps and spirals are not the best either, the guidelines of the negative GOE apply.

No one imo should get higher than 145 for the FS. Some GOEs and PCS were given too generously, to a point that it is out of control. We are seeing more ice-jumping instead of ice-skating.

YES. I agree with everything, especially that last paragraph.