How'd your Olympic predictions/hopes end up? | Golden Skate

How'd your Olympic predictions/hopes end up?

#1Kerryfan

Final Flight
Before the Olympics, I posted my predictions and hopes on Facebook. Here they are:

My predictions:
Men:
1. Fernandez
2. Chen
3. Uno

Ladies:
1. Medvedeva
2. Kostner
3. Osmond

Pairs:
1. Savchenko/ Massot
2. Duhamel/ Radford
3. Sui/ Han

Dance:
1. Virtue/ Moir
2. Papadakis/ Cizeron
3. Chock/ Bates

Team:
1. Canada
2. USA
3. Japan

My dream podiums:
Ladies:
1. Tennell (USA)
2. Chen (USA)
3. Kostner (Italy)

Men:
1. Rippon (USA)
2. Fernandez (Spain)
3. Chan (Canada)

Pairs:
1. Scimeca/ Knierim (USA)
2. Duhamel/ Radford (Canada)
3. Moore-Towers/ Marinaro (Canada)

Dance:
1. Chock/ Bates (USA)
2. Hubbell/ Donahue (USA)
3. Shibutani/ Shibutani (USA)

Team event:
1. USA
2. Canada
3. France or Italy

Medalists I predicted who ended up on the podium: 10/15
Medalists whose exact medal I predicted: 5/15
People/ teams from my dream podiums who made the podium: 5/15

blackey

On the Ice
haha. I got literally everything right except for men. Bravo hanyu for prove me wrong.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I had very unrealistic hopes (except for Chen medalling, which was realistic), which were not realized.

anyanka

Record Breaker
Most of mine made it, but for Satoko in ladies, and Chen for the men. Overall I'd say I did well this year!

My hope was for the podiums to be fair, and, more essentially, the winners to be correct.

In that vein, it was successful.

Apart from that: Yuzu and V/M won, and S/H finished second. Boyang was 4th and Shoma was 2nd. Alina won, and I thought she should.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
For Olympics, the podium is exactly as predicted before the competition. Well, with the assumption that both skate clean.

I'd have hoped Medvedeva to have won but here I think that the results were accurate.

GGFan

Record Breaker
My biggest hopes were:

1. For S/H to win. They did not, but they still managed amazing performances. Given what they've been through I'm thrilled for them. :dance:

2. For a cleaner men's free with a more satisfying finish. That happened. Yuzu owned it! :hap93:

3. For V/M to skate to the best of their abilities (no twizzle mistakes). They did. :bow:

4. For Satoko and Caro to kill it. Satoko was transcendent :luv17:. Caro had some struggles but fought and was extremely inspirational. :hap10:

5. For Kaetlyn to have one clean free this season. She came darned close so I'm counting it! :yahoo:

6. For Nathan to skate his programs the way they were meant to be skated. Well at least he had a cleanish free. :dev2:

7. For Laurence and Nikolaj to skate. You can't win them all :sad4::biggrin:

Nightcrawler

On the Ice
I think we've just finished watching the least controversial Olympics in a long time.
I'm personally very satisfied with the results, I think the judging was fair (when it comes to placements, not scores) and that the right people won the medals.
I was only emotionally invested in Alyona getting her gold, so I'm thrilled! :biggrin:

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
Pairs, Men and Ice Dance were basically all my ideal podiums. For Ladies my ideal podium was wildly unrealistic, so I'm not really disappointed, just glad one of my better case scenarios for top five came to pass. Overall the Olympics was incredibly good to me.

Alchamei

Record Breaker
Basically all podiums turned out great maybe with a few other details I'd like better, except ladies. I didn't care about any of the Russians and would prefer to see someone else win, but there are not many skaters out there I'd really like to win, maybe Kaetlyn, who I think was the best out of the three.

acapenci

On the Ice
My prediction (for mens):

1st: Yuzuru Hanyu
2nd: Shoma Uno
3rd: Nathan Chen

Everything right except nathan

Manitou

Medalist
I only had wishes, not predictions.
My only wish that realized was Aliona Savchenko. It was such a satisfying competition and result.
The rest didn't realize:
- I wanted P/C to get gold and H/D bronze - it didn't happen. However, now I think that P/C wouldn't have deserved gold after their terrible lack of professionalism in SD.
- I wanted Med to win, but she had to accept silver. Which is still OK, the result is fair, but I still think it would be a historical justice if Med won.
- I wanted Gabby to succeed and surpass Kaetlyn, but it turned out to be a disaster.
- I was completely indifferent to men, no wishes and no surprises.

yexiu

Rinkside
Yuzuru and V/M won, which are who I hoped would win. sui/Han finished second and Aljona won first, though I was rooting for Sui, I am happy with the result, as for the ladies...I just didn't mind whoever won, it was either Med or Alina.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
My hopes didn't quite work out but my predictions were pretty close. My biggest wish was for Javi to get a medal and he did so :cheer: for one of my favourite male skaters ever.

No big upsets this time. The closest thing to an upset was really V/M's dance victory since I really thought P/C would win. I would have been fine with either winning.

As usual I'm left with a sort of sadness about the Olympics that so many great skaters/skates did not get medals. I often feel like 4th has to be the lousiest place to finish at the Olympics. So close, so far away.