Christine Brennan Sounds Off Again! | Golden Skate

Christine Brennan Sounds Off Again!

Last edited by a moderator:

johnsmith72

On the Ice
I think she's honestly kind of a hack, and I used to somewhat like her. It's not that Zag is just doing a more difficult triple/triple than Med it's that she's repeating both the lutz and flip with no edge violation on both... and in what world is Evgenia's skating similar to Michelle's Lyra Angelica? Last time I checked I didn't hear train sounds and see bizarre miming in Michelle's program :palmf: I really think the competition results could have gone either way and don't see that much controversy. I think the top 3 were very close in total scores, and the only controversy being that Osmond should have been way closer in overall scores

I'm just still so confused by this revisionist history that Evgenia's some kind of artistic phenom when she also tries to "game the system." Neither Zag nor Med are great artists and both have strategies to maximize their points... and there's no shame in doing so when that's what the judges have been rewarding :confused:

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She said the winner was "gaming the system." Everyone "games the system." It's about collecting the most points any way you can.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Did she in the article mention that Medvedeva got +1.6 GOE for her flutz?

I just don't know why people can't analyze everything rather than just concentrating on one or two things.

I'd say that if judged Fairly, with Zagitova receiving superior GOE on spins and Medvedeva getting -2 GOE on e Lutz, even a 10 PCS gap wouldn't have been enough.

And mind you, I preferred Medvedeva's FS to Zagitova's quite a bit. But rules are rules and this has nothing to do with 1.5 points lost on backloading.

I think she's honestly kind of a hack, and I used to somewhat like her. It's not that Zag is just doing a more difficult triple/triple than Med it's that she's repeating both the lutz and flip with no edge violation on both... and in what world is Evgenia's skating similar to Michelle's Lyra Angelica? Last time I checked I didn't hear train sounds and see bizarre miming in Michelle's program :palmf: I really think the competition results could have gone either way and don't see that much controversy. I think the top 3 were very close in total scores, and the only controversy being that Osmond should have been way closer in overall scores

Ah, but you're missing the point of pop journalism -- create controversy! Alina can't do her triple loop today? Evgenia must have broken her blade! Evgenia didn't do her Tano today? Alina must have threatened to break her arm! Evgenia and Alina were spotted sitting at two different tables in the same restaurant? They have fallen out, and are creating nothing but misery in Sambo70! Eteri bought out that restaurant for them just so she could wash her hands off the blame for inevitable nuclear war!

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
You can be mad at Alina for taking advantage of the rules, it is strategy.

But the way Brennan calls a 15yo and opportunist is tasteless. Is up to ISU to established rules to a fair competition that protects the integrity of the skaters.

dailytg20

On the Ice
I'm honestly getting major whiplash from these hot takes. I could have sworn certain people really seemed to have it out for Medvedeva just a season ago. They were criticizing her as an interloper amongst women skaters. And now all this fawning praise about how she's such a complete skater and Zagitova's the interloper, it feels disingenuous.

I feel like when you strip away all the superficial criticisms, Zagitova's main flaw—just as Medvedeva's before her—is that she's throwing it down like a top athlete and dominating.

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
She’s definitely a lurker around here. Trust no one. 🧐

Metis

Shepherdess of the Teal Deer
Record Breaker
For breakfast, many people have hotcakes. But for Brennan, it's hot takes. :laugh:

This is a lukewarm-after-being-microwaved take at best.

I disagree with her, but more to the point, what a massive fail from a composition standpoint.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I am not so upset the Amercian ladies didn't do that well but hardly horrific - two ladies in the top ten - almost all three. But it is sad like in men's to see how this is a jumping game. But the three medallists deserved to be on the podium. No question - sorry fans of the Japanese ladies but I don't know how she did it but Osmond had the best combination of artistry and tech prowess.

GrandmaCC

On the Ice
I'm honestly getting major whiplash from these hot takes. I could have sworn certain people really seemed to have it out for Medvedeva just a season ago. They were criticizing her as an interloper amongst women skaters. And now all this fawning praise about how she's such a complete skater and Zagitova's the interloper, it feels disingenuous.

I feel like when you strip away all the superficial criticisms, Zagitova's main flaw—just as Medvedeva's before her—is that she's throwing it down like a top athlete and dominating.

In that last sentence, you have managed to sum up everything about the hatred people have for these athletes.
This is life now, unfortunately; if you have skills where others have struggles, strengths where others have weaknesses, ability where others have none, congratulations - you’re now a target for vitriol.

I would very much appreciate a constructive debate regarding the current scoring system, with questions such as, how do we really want to define “well balanced?” How do we encourage more intricate, fast and therefore tiring footwork? Should a jump or combo be mandatory in the first minute of the program? How are we going to get the artistry *thing* as objective as possible?
But no, instead it is MUCH better to criticise those who work within the actual rules as they exist and just happen to do it well.

I’m glad for Zhenya and Alina that they live in a country which respects them and will applaud their achievements, instead of subjecting them to harsh critiques of their subjective qualities.

Lamente Ariane

Skating Skills -5, Fashion +3, Camp +4
Record Breaker
I'm just still so confused by this revisionist history that Evgenia's some kind of artistic phenom when she also tries to "game the system." Neither Zag nor Med are great artists and both have strategies to maximize their points... and there's no shame in doing so when that's what the judges have been rewarding :confused:

This exactly. And what is it with all these people who hated Evgenia's skating up until Alina defeated her suddenly turning around and pretending they've been Evgenia fans all along? The same system they're decrying Alina for supposedly exploiting is the reason Evgenia dominated for so long. And Alina's hardly a soulless robot, she's younger and less experienced with programs that don't call for the same types of expression. Framing the two of them as opposite sides in the Tech vs Artistry debate is disingenuous at best.

At least Christine Brennan is consistent in her likes and dislikes. She always goes for the stater who is perceived as the more artistic, over the technical virtuoso. Back in the day Brennan loved Michelle Kwan, thought Irina Slutskaya was over-scored.

I for one enjoy her perspectives. She is about the only U.S. journalist left who writes about figure skating at all in the main stream press. Phil Hersh is the other, but he's semi-retired. Both of these writers treat figure skaters the same as they treat rough, tough football or hockey players -- if you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen. ;)

Mango

Royal Chinet 👑🍽️
Record Breaker
If Christine and Phil are the only journalists regularly covering figure skating in the US then maybe the US needs better journalists covering figure skating.

If Christine and Phil are the only journalists regularly covering figure skating in the US then maybe the US needs better journalists covering figure skating.

That would be nice. But interest in figure skating has fallen so low that no newspaper would ever hire someone to cover it. :(