The Dreaded 2022 Predictions | Page 10 | Golden Skate

The Dreaded 2022 Predictions

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
While I see it happening on the Ladies side (as happened these Olympics), I don't think a man still in Juniors right now will come crashing through to win the Olympics in 2022 unless he enters the senior scene at least two years before the games. In men, there seems to be a longer road towards increased PCS because the men are not as consistent as the ladies. As such, I think only those currently in seniors will manage to improve steadily in their PCS and tech/GOE through the next quad in order to fight for the gold medal in Beijing.

Mussique

On the Ice
Bumping this thread since I didn't get to comment when it was starting...
I'm surprised very few are rooting for the TCC youngsters, Cha and Gogolev. Maybe Gogolev will be too young to actually medal but his technical content is so strong that I have high hopes for him, and as nekun said last page he's got that kind of champions' feeling...
Cha's skating will only continue to improve and I definitely am rooting for him to get himself more quads (he had an injury this season, but he's such an expressive skater!
And I definitely hope Boyang Shoma and Nathan will be there to fight (though with Nathan being in Yale I don't know if he'll be able to train at such elite level) too!
Trusova for ladies, unless Kostornaya s there to fight too...and I can't help but wish longevity to Alina too. I don't see Medvedeva getting such strong content in 4 years time, but who knows? It'd definitely be interesting. I also hope for Japanese j. ladies to get something and if there's anyone from a small fed it'd warm my heart (but it doesn't seem likely with such a strong field)

andromache

Record Breaker
I think Boyang's team sure try to turn him into the new Javi. Work on maxing out the charm with fun character programs and sticking with the layout that worked for him in his first season as a senior and skating clean. Try sending him to David Wilson instead of Lori Nichol for a season. Nathan has his dance background + ballet skills (which he really does highlight at times) and Shoma has the skating skills and expressive drama he's so good at. Let Boyang shine by being totally different from either of them.

I really hope to see one Russian lady who is currently a senior be on the Russian team in 2022, but it's not going to happen. Japanese ladies are way more likely, but even that is uncertain.

Will US ladies have a medal contender in 4 years or will they still be in the slump? Will Alysa Liu be age-eligible in 2022? If not, I do think Ting and Pooja could be relevant - maybe not to the medal conversation, but at least in the US Nationals conversation.

Pairs will be S/H versus T/M for the foreseeable future, with J/C playing spoiler (so long as they don't retire). Maybe Z/E as well - I find them dull but they'll get a push anyway.

P/C will get surprise contenders in dance over the next four years.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Alysa will indeed be eligible. I'm not sure Pooja will be a game-changer then -- she only has 3T-3T and no -1Lo-3S combo, instead doing -2T-2Lo and -2T combo.
Hanna Harrell can do really well if she gets her consistency together and stops falling on literally every lutz she ever does (just take out the rippon, for goodness' sake!)
Ting I think will be a great force. Although she does only a 2A-3T, she's also got 3T-3T (SP) and 3Lz-1Lo-3S

blackey

On the Ice
irresponsible prediction of og podium:
men: gogolev
ladies: someone we don't know yet
ice dance: Carreira/Ponomarenko
pairs: t/m

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Someone will joke with Yuzuru about winning a 3rd Gold, and he'll get stuck with that thought in mind and he'll go for 2022.
Boyang on the podium.

The future Lady OGM is in Juniors right now. Don't know who it is or which country she's from though.
Alina will qualify for the Olympics again. In fact she's going to have a great season (or at least very good!) next year.

Sui/Han, Tarasova/Morozov and another Pair team (who?) will battle for Gold. Or Katia/Harley for Gold.

We'll have one very shocking Ice Dance split (with maybe weird swaps) at the top level. P/C and Hawayek/Baker will be on that Olympic podium. We will have around 2021 the battle of the OGM Dads : Bukin vs Ponomarenko.
A scandal hits US or CAN Ice Dance teams during the Olympic selection : too many teams, only 3 spots.

China will win a Team medal, Team Canada won't be on the Team medal podium this time. US will win Team Gold. Australia will be in the top 5.

(My real wish : the revenge of the 2018's silvers)

TheBallerina

#teamtutberidze
Record Breaker
The men competition will be won by Deniss Vasiļjevs. His entire FP contains only spins: Scratch, Layback, Biellmann, Shotgun , everything you can dream of. The judges are so dizzy that they give him +15 GOE for each spin, and he wins the gold medal easily. In the EX program he skates together with his coach, Stéphane Lambiel, spining continuously perfectly synchronized. The audience is mesmerized..standing ovations for both of them.

(just joking, but to be serious now, I really like Deniss and I would love to see him winning a olympic medal :love: )

andromache

Record Breaker
Alysa will indeed be eligible. I'm not sure Pooja will be a game-changer then -- she only has 3T-3T and no -1Lo-3S combo, instead doing -2T-2Lo and -2T combo.
Hanna Harrell can do really well if she gets her consistency together and stops falling on literally every lutz she ever does (just take out the rippon, for goodness' sake!)
Ting I think will be a great force. Although she does only a 2A-3T, she's also got 3T-3T (SP) and 3Lz-1Lo-3S

I don't know...I'm not sure what Gracie was doing at 14 (Pooja's current age), but she didn't win her JW medal until the age of 16-17. Alex Ourashiev might just coach late bloomers? And he's a great jump coach, so I think it'll happen for Pooja as long as she continues training seriously.

I don't anticipate any of the current US juniors (aside from Alysa) being competitive with the Russian/Japanese phenoms in 2022, simply because they aren't currently seriously training 3As, quads, total backloading, etc. that it'll take to be competitive with them. But I think Pooja and Ting could be serious competitors for the US team. It may be pessimistic of me, but I don't think Mirai, Karen, Polina, Courtney, Mariah, et al will be all that relevant in 2022 (PROVE ME WRONG, LADIES). Of the 2018 US Nationals contenders, I think only Starr and Bradie will be realistic picks for the 2022 Olympic team.

I'm less optimistic about Hanna Harrell than you are, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her!

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I mean, that's true about Ourashiev. But I think that Gracie also had a huge amount of great jumps already. But Pooja's only 14? That changes things a bit for me. For some reason, I thought she was 16-17...

I think our most serious contenders will be Bradie, Starr, Ting, and Alysa, and possibly Pooja and Hanna.

andromache

Record Breaker
I mean, that's true about Ourashiev. But I think that Gracie also had a huge amount of great jumps already. But Pooja's only 14? That changes things a bit for me. For some reason, I thought she was 16-17...

I think our most serious contenders will be Bradie, Starr, Ting, and Alysa, and possibly Pooja and Hanna.

Ah crap, I think you might be right about Pooja's age.....I'm not sure why I thought she was 14, but per her GS fan fest bio, she was born in late 2002 - which I think makes her 15 turning 16 this year? Which is older than ideal...

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Well if you gogogle "Pooja Kalyan age" the first that pops up is from 2017, which says she's 14, because she was then. But yeah, she's around the same age as Daria Panenkova, so 15 going on 16.

Satoko and Shoma will switch to ice dance together, cause they will be tired to get dinged by URs and prerotations. They will win Japan first olympic gold medal in ice dance, skating on a whole new world.

Under-rotated spin, pre-rotated lift.

lappo

Final Flight
To those who follow Junior Ice Dance more seriously then me, which are the teams with the best chances for a successful senior career in the next four years? Are there any teams that you believe will shot to podium P/C style?

Someone will joke with Yuzuru about winning a 3rd Gold, and he'll get stuck with that thought in mind and he'll go for 2022.

Your wish came true. In Continue with Wings Plushenko said to Yuzuru, not joking of course, "go to 2022 and win it" :yahoo: Do you think Yuzu will say no to his god? :noshake:

P.S. Though I might be wrong, my Japanese is not %100 and I might understood the interpretor in a wrong way.

Anyasnake

Record Breaker
Your wish came true. In Continue with Wings Plushenko said to Yuzuru, not joking of course, "go to 2022 and win it" :yahoo: Do you think Yuzu will say no to his god? :noshake:

P.S. Though I might be wrong, my Japanese is not %100 and I might understood the interpretor in a wrong way.

But honestly, someone tell him to go seasons by seasons instead of the classic retirement post-Olympics and little does he know, it's 2022 already. He's already doing next season anyway (thank you Japan Worlds 2019).
If Aljona is 34 he can stay until 27 :dev2: (To me, nobody has any excuse anymore unless injuries of course ! Thanks Aljona :laugh:) A Chinese friend of mine said that he was very famous in China. I want to see people getting CRAZY over figure skating again !

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Heck Imma do this:

Ladies: Alena Kostornaia, Evgenia Medvedeva, Wakaba Higuchi
Men: Shoma Uno, Boyang Jin, Nathan Chen
Pairs: Sui/Han, Tarasova/Morozov,
Dance: P/C, Stepanova/Bukin, H/D

lyverbird1

Final Flight
I want to say Alena Kostornaia for Ladies gold but don't want to jinx that given I had Radionova in the frame for Olympic gold this year... :disapp:

Miller

Final Flight
Men - will Yazuru still be competing? If so him given they want more emphasis on the artistic side.

Women - Trusova, but will rule changes stop her? (If they're freaking out about backloading and arms in the air what are they going to make of quads).

Pairs - Tarusina + random Russian man who can do 3Lz-3T combination.

Dance - Gubanova + other Russian man, I'd say Pitkeev but sadly sounds like his back is too far gone.